Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well you all decide

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default well you all decide

Here is the Email I got today form moco relations about recalls/ tech bulletins and such and the
lack of ready access to them on the website, "without" first having to use avin number.
And as some of you already know, if there is a recall or tech bulletin on your bike as soon as it
is recorded as being done it disappears from the website under your vin.
My feeling is that so many of us do our own NON warranty work, or are actively looking at buying
another bike (used), that these bulletins and such would be quite useful in determing if one had
been issued in past, if it had been performed or not, or even if it didn't pertain directly to your
model maybe it did pertain to a common part on yours and another model. so you could at least
be aware of a potential problem and a fix. Some other manufacturers at least put some of of this
up on their sites and don't require a VIN number first.
Aftermarket techs could use this info.

Thanks for taking the time to put together your thoughts and send them to us. We are in agreement with you that a well informed consumer is a better consumer. We are also aware that some of the manufacturers in the automobile industry offer recall information on their websites, and we are working to do the same in the future. We have a lot of information that we would like to share with you the customer, but we have to be sure to deliver it with a robust system that will provide correct and up to date info and we are in the process of identifying the necessary items to provide this service to our dealers and customers. I am not sure if you are aware that NHSTA’s official website offers recall information for all vehicles they have been certified including Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
As for the ignition switch change we commonizedthe ignition switch for the FLT product with the International switch in 2006. The International specs call for a lock that operates differently and the requirements call for the switch to give way when being forced at a specific point. This then allows the locking pin to drop into the frame and protect the vehicle from being stolen due to the force applied. We found with the change that our domestic customers were breaking the switches because of another change that was made to force the vehicles handlebars to be positioned in the full left turn position to lock the vehicle. With the new change and product program in the new domestic lock we have removed the regulatory feature (required internationally)[font=arial][color=navy][size=2] that when the switch was forced in a lock position and breaks the position tab dropping the locking pin into the frame. We have to have two switches because the International spec will not allow a spring loaded locking pin and to have the switch operate as the 2

Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts
Default RE: well you all decide

Sounds like a reasonable explanation of why they had to change the locks. Having lived in a couple of different countries I can tell you that the motor vehicle regulations overseas are pretty bizare sometimes in their reasoning. I think they tried to standardize something and found out they made a mistake and fixed it.

They produce thousands of products for several models over many years, and to try to set that up on a single website is a daunting task to say the least, as well as expensive to operate and maintain. And as they stated you can go to the NHSTA's website to find what your looking for. I'm not seeing a problem with HD. Why should they put their money into maintaining a site when someone else is already doing it for them. Looks like a winning situation for the motor company. Just my .02

Old 03-08-2007, 01:21 AM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good to me. It doesn't sound canned, and someone thought about what they were writing. Probably still went thru legal...

What i would expect from the home office.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Madav8tr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me you didn't send a letter b*tching about the ABS saddle bags?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 AM
em2780
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Madav8tr

Tell me you didn't send a letter b*tching about the ABS saddle bags?
sounds like it

if so what is wrong with the ABS saddle bags

Old 03-08-2007, 12:02 PM
choochoo
Banned

jmo mind you.
The abs is more fragile and cracks more easily. Especially up here where it is cold.
And is not as easily repairable as the old fiberglass.
I've done a few repairs (quite a few) on fibreglass bags and trunks.
Buddy opened his one day wind caught it and cracked it by the hinges.
People that have dropped their bike (me included) hard enough to crack a bag by the
mounting dowels, and or the lid.
Could grind them out and re glass them on inside.
When I'm all done with a trunk I'm doing I'll send pics. Mind you it will be a while, probably later this summer. My paint guy is backed up now and I'm at bottom of list.
He does classic car restoration.
Anyways with the new abs you can't do that (repair that is).
Although I have seen a plastic welder that's available. Don't know if it would work on this
though. If it does it would be only simple cracks.
Also ABS is tricky to paint right, so a couple painters have told me (will have to research that more). Definitley can not use lacquer as will soften the plastic.
But will be looking into it.
I wonder if HD does their own plasticmolding in house or farms it out?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:13 PM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior

My paint guy had no problem painting my bags. Also commented on the quality of them and how seamless the lights were flushed--

[IMG]local://upfiles/4515/AE0742C41C9A41789004229D947DD01F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4515/BC863481E5D540EBB76087F8C075CF6F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2007, 12:15 PM
BaggerChic
Banned

Chooch you are so aggressive. Anywhere, anytime...so very HOT!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ABS is used in every aspect of the vehicle industry. Its not going to change. Is there anything about your harley yo do like? If you dont like plastic, stay away from metrics they use it on everything from fenders to turn signals. LOL

Old 03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
choochoo
Banned

Yep I get flamed a lot for being that way.
But I figure if you want to see changes etc you got to speak up.
sit and whine and moan, here, or home or bar or wherever, won't accomplish a thing.
I go right to the source HDMOCO
Yea I also bitch here too.
Tends to get some people riled up!
ORIGINAL: BaggerChic

Chooch you are so aggressive. Anywhere, anytime...so very HOT!

Quick Reply: well you all decide