Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator time, again!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Compensator time, again!

Well I'm getting all the same issues as the last time I had to replace my stock compensator with the SE compensator "A" type. I have over 20,000 miles on my current SE comp and not happy I have to replace but that's how it goes.
I've been using B&M trick shift non-syn for my Barnett clutch pads "as they recommended"but plan on going back to Harley syn when I install this new comp and my Bandit sportsman clutch. I ordered the new comp with plastic piece and the glue install kit together from Kutter Harley online for $282 shipped so I'm glad I found that site. Since I have the old SE comp I don't believe I need to order any additional parts but figured Id ask here first.
I have already read about all the concerns with the needle bearings and gluing plastic into my primary but I think I'll give it a shot anyways. I see the new model primary covers have the updated oiling sumps that the plastic glue on piece provide for us with out it, but I'm not ready yet to purchase a complete cover just for that purpose.
One thing I'm wondering is about this super aerospace glue that is to be used, I also have the stator wire oil leak that I band-aid fixed with high temp gasket maker. I wonder if I could add some of this glue to the inside of the primary around the stator wire to stop the leak from the inside, is that just dumb or any logic to why it wouldn't work? I don't feel like having to replace a stator as well just because it leaks were it comes out of the primary. Or should I say it was leaking before I added the gasket maker, that was years ago. Adding the glue on the inside would just be extra insurance that another leak would not start from the same place.
All the threads on the different forums that I have read are positive so from the members that have installed this new comp but it to early to know how long this one will last, time will tell.

Any other input welcome.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That glue is two part epoxy. I wouldn't use is as RTV on a part that you may have to remove in the future.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Ya good point, I was just thinking out loud because I couldn't sleep last night and the idea came to me and I was wondering if it might be a good idea while the bike was apart.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure you clean the area real well before gluing that plastic on, with lacquer thinner, or some other solvent.
I would not put the glue on the stator wires.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:15 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Well I'm getting all the same issues as the last time I had to replace my stock compensator with the SE compensator "A" type. I have over 20,000 miles on my current SE comp and not happy I have to replace but that's how it goes.
I've been using B&M trick shift non-syn for my Barnett clutch pads "as they recommended"but plan on going back to Harley syn when I install this new comp and my Bandit sportsman clutch. I ordered the new comp with plastic piece and the glue install kit together from Kutter Harley online for $282 shipped so I'm glad I found that site. Since I have the old SE comp I don't believe I need to order any additional parts but figured Id ask here first.
I have already read about all the concerns with the needle bearings and gluing plastic into my primary but I think I'll give it a shot anyways. I see the new model primary covers have the updated oiling sumps that the plastic glue on piece provide for us with out it, but I'm not ready yet to purchase a complete cover just for that purpose.
One thing I'm wondering is about this super aerospace glue that is to be used, I also have the stator wire oil leak that I band-aid fixed with high temp gasket maker. I wonder if I could add some of this glue to the inside of the primary around the stator wire to stop the leak from the inside, is that just dumb or any logic to why it wouldn't work? I don't feel like having to replace a stator as well just because it leaks were it comes out of the primary. Or should I say it was leaking before I added the gasket maker, that was years ago. Adding the glue on the inside would just be extra insurance that another leak would not start from the same place.
All the threads on the different forums that I have read are positive so from the members that have installed this new comp but it to early to know how long this one will last, time will tell.

Any other input welcome.
I have an '07 Fat Boy and purchased (from someone on this forum), but haven't yet put on, the 40274-08A compensator. Then this new one comes out, part no. 42200064. That one says I'll also need the rotor assembly, part no. 30041-08. So, I asked the MoCo via e-mail whether the rotor with 40274-08A is the same as 30041-08. I received a prompt answer, which is "yes."

Hope that helps you and/or someone else.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
magazine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your careful, you can add silicone the plug from the outside, it stopped mine from leaking.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

TIm glad Im not the only one who thinking out loud, it is something I do all the time and common practice amongst the outside the box thinkers...Id like a buck for everytime I keep myself awake going over stuff in my head. You keep bouncing ideas around the forum, I for one will be reading, let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know. Is it just me or does anybody else have a problem with having to GLUE something near enclosed moving power transmission parts in order to solve an obvious engineering flaw? I'm waiting on Dark Horse Crankworks new compensator. It's due out anytime now.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 622 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rockajet1
I don't know. Is it just me or does anybody else have a problem with having to GLUE something near enclosed moving power transmission parts in order to solve an obvious engineering flaw? I'm waiting on Dark Horse Crankworks new compensator. It's due out anytime now.
If it is the same glue and plastic piece Harley uses at the factory, they back it for 2 years and unlimited miles with the option of extended coverage after that. Follow the directions and it should be fine, just like the liquid cooling system. Seriously, when the time comes, I won't worry about that part falling off.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:52 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by skjskmata
I have an '07 Fat Boy and purchased (from someone on this forum), but haven't yet put on, the 40274-08A compensator. Then this new one comes out, part no. 42200064. That one says I'll also need the rotor assembly, part no. 30041-08. So, I asked the MoCo via e-mail whether the rotor with 40274-08A is the same as 30041-08. I received a prompt answer, which is "yes."

Hope that helps you and/or someone else.
The SE comp I have now is the 40274-08A , that's what I was referring to when I said the "A" version. Because I installed that version it had the rotor assembly that's required for the new 42200064 or SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® BIG TWIN COMPENSATOR 2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compensator time, again!