Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil filter question?

So on my last oil change, never mind what I use for oil everyone has got their choice, I decided to take a friend up on an offer. He owns a big rig parts chain down here in Torreon Mexico and says he can get any type of filter for my bike; INcluding A deal on the resuseable high quality chrome ones.
I sold him my sporty and he says he has been using wix for the sporty. He also said that all the filters for HD's are the same, that there is no difference. So instead of going to the HD STEALERDSHIP here, I went with the cost of the Wix for my Limited. THe cost for an HD oil filter here is just about double in Mexico.
He told me put it on hand tight (like nomral) then half turn with the filter wrench. I swear the thing is leaking. I have oil beeding out of one of the bolts under the bike. THe filter is covered in a oil film and none of the drain bolts are leaking, the leaking is not much, but still it si coming down in back of the oil cooler and beeding up and dripping of a bolt that has nothing to do with fluids.

1. is there truth in what he is saying that All hd filters are the same?

2. If I change the filter do I have to change out the oil as well, I have only 1000 miles on this change. I will if it is needed but is it?

3. Is it common for an oil filter to leak? I think not, but not really sure, maybe it is a 103 thing?

4. are the reuseable filters worth the money??

Pretty rookie questions I know but I am not a mechanic.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM
flhxs103
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Omg go to the dealer and get an HD filter that goes to your bike. If you can't afford the HD filter you can't afford the bike. Cheaping out on a oil filter and risking your motor is not a smart move.
No need to dump the oil when you go back to the correct filter. Just make sure you replace what comes out and what the filter holds

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

1. No
2. No, but you will have to add some oil.
3. No
4. No. Filters are what $8-9 bucks? It's not worth the hassle to me.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yes I can afford the filter and the bike, no I dont like paying 19.00 for a filter. That is why I went with the wix, it was chrome and I figured I could get a bunch of them. I will not buy a bunch now and I will replace. SO OMG dont get your panties in a bunch it was just a question.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I use a Napa Gold (Wix) 1348 and have never had a problem with them. Gettin em off is a PIA but so is the Harley filter. Bought a K&N 171C last oil change and like it pretty good too. There's all kinds if parts on these bikes that can be bought at the parts house instead of at Harley. For example...replaced the brake switch on my 08 Ultra with a switch from Napa. Same identical switch that Harley sells for a 1/4 of the price and it listed for a 73 VW.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:16 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

K&N 171 have a nut on the end of the filter to help remove them, I just bought 2 with shipping less then 24 bucks.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you should have checked the new filter with the old one to make sure the gasket was the same

Wix are good filters -

Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Also should've checked to make sure the gasket off the old oil filter wasn't still stuck on there when you put the new filter on.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 PM
vangasman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure that it is not the oil cooler adapter? I installed the anti rotation adapter so it doesn't move when your screwing it back on.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

reuseable oil filters....thought they went out in the 50's! personally harley filter, harley oil

Quick Reply: Oil filter question?