Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low speed issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Low speed issues

OK so I am an old fart but I love to ride and I have a real issue:

As I am leaving the highway into tight narrow roads/parking lots is where it occurs. I have bad shoulders(bursitis), I have a arthritic left hand from injury sustained at 15 years old, I have carpal tunnel to a minimal(doc says too little issue to cut into) and as I get into slow speeds where I need to turn the fork much as riding a bicycle in tight right corners I lose it. Generally have to stop(really sucks in traffic), left hand gets iffy as to clutch apply, fingers get a little less than responsive as does the left arm as stretch it out. Feel the need to lean to get the turn and yet feels unbalanced. I do get out and practice on this after being off the bike a while but fatigue catches up on the longer rides.

Any suggestions beyond the doc hacking on me some more? Nothing to date seems to have helped.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:37 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you exercise? Even if they cut on you they will be some physical therapy. Other than that have you tried adjusting your bars? Different bars?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Im 61 and have found the gym to be my best friend.Dr told me I needed surgery on both shoulders for pain.Working out at the gym has lessened the pain to the point im not even thinking about surgery.At the same time it has greatly increased my ability to control the bike.I would definately try that before getting cut on.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:02 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I told a story here a couple weeks back about a guy I met at a biker night. He's in his 60's, bought a trike becuase he couldn't ride anymore and then hired a personal trainer. He's now able to ride 2 wheels again and says he feels better than he has in the last, I think 20 years.

Just a thought for you.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

when we sleep, our hands curl, which collapses the carpal tunnel- wearing a wrist brace- even a soft velcro wrap at night- will prevent or minimize this. It makes a huge diff for me. and has kept me from requiring surgery...that and a couple of changes how I work ( repetitive).

other things that help are exercise. bar position and grips- for what ever reason I do best with stock grips, oversize or foam grips do not help.
and vibrations in the bars can be tuned in or out with the riser bushings...vibrations really can be a hand-deadening problem

and I keep my hands low. an upright riding position with my arms and hands loose- the stock bars rotated back slightly works for me.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-21-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on the wrist braces; I had carpal and befor surgery that was the only way to sleep.
If your hands bother you that much maybe see another doctor. Did you have the nerve conductor testing? That will tell you exactly what the deal is with carpal and other troubles.

Other than that adjust your bars so that your biceps are doing the work instead of your wrists and shoulders.

I feel your pain, my left foot and hip fail and cause me to drop when making tight slow left turns. Dropped twice cause of this, more embarrassing than anything.

If you haven't seen an orthopaedic doctor you might want to; carpal surgery only took 15 minutes and I was riding again in three weeks...

Old 11-21-2013, 02:03 PM
toketee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slow issues

I'm 66 and have bad shoulder, arthritic thumbs, bad right elbow, had carpal tunnel fixed, both wrists, so I identify with your problems. I changed bars, got a little higher and pulled back closer to me. I also practice Ride Like a Pro methods for slow maneuvering. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had some fusions and had arthritic knees elbow shoulders, tried steroid shots and and radio frequency with little help we found a good holistic doctor that helped and pointed us to this Hightechhealth.com infrared sauna which has helped us, most of my arthritis has gone same as my wifes

Old 11-21-2013, 05:36 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Talk to your local Motorcycle Safety Foundation people about getting into one of the rider courses. Having someone there to watch you and coach you as you relearn the slow maneuvering is a great help.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sound like you should play tennis or hand ball or wrist curls may help you need to move don't just sit there or you will lose the movement in your wrists & pain will persist.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Low speed issues