Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff Daymaker Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 AM
dhermann43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Daymaker Headlights

So looking on HD's website they offer two different Daymaker headlights.

73390-10A Daymaker LED Headlamp (Stock on 14 ultras)

67700189 Daymaker Reflector LED Headlamp (in the new accessory catalog)

I have a 14 SGS with the dual bulb, would it be worth upgrading to a Daymaker and if so what one is better???

Old 11-25-2013, 09:40 AM
GCSuper
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the daymakers on my 06 ultra. Loved them a lot. It was a huge improvement over stock, but the ones on my 14 Limited don't seem as good. I'd have to look at the part numbers to confirm if they are different. Been playing with the adjustment on the new ones trying to make it work better, but so far they're just not as good.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Erock1800
Tourer

My dealer said both LEDs give the same amount of light, so it is a matter of preference on the look. They are definitely brighter then stock though.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:25 AM
bubba455
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GCSuper
I put the daymakers on my 06 ultra. Loved them a lot. It was a huge improvement over stock, but the ones on my 14 Limited don't seem as good. I'd have to look at the part numbers to confirm if they are different. Been playing with the adjustment on the new ones trying to make it work better, but so far they're just not as good.
I must agree. My 14 Limited headlights are nothing to write home about. They do look cool but I swear my old halogen lights would spread light over the road better. And when going around sweeping corners, the LED lights lose contact with the road. I did have the passing lights reprogrammed to stay on with the high beam and it helps some. But honestly, I rarely had to run my high beam on my old '10 Ultra. Low beam did a great job.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother was behind me the other night on his 2014 CVO Limited which has the daymaker headlight and running lights and I gould not even see my headlight. His was much brighter than mine and had a better spread with the running lights. I think the stock halogen has issues with the spread when leaning in a corner. I always feel like I cant see far enough in front of me in sweepers. As soon as the bike is stood up straight the light pattern is fine again.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:24 PM
RicXX
Intermediate

I have been doing some research into the reflector versions. If you compare the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 parts books you will see that the pages and ratings on the lights are identical. I believe that they just changed the picture but left the writing the same, and this is not a true representation of the reflector lights. At the dealer we compared them side by side and the patterns on the wall were totally different (sorry still working on doing it again with photos). I still cant find the ratings nor the original manufacturer of the reflector lights. Some people say Peterson, but I do not think they are, the HD Reflectors use 3 leds in low beam and 3 leds in high beam...

Old 11-25-2013, 03:35 PM
futat2
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The original daymaker uses a projector beam and the new one uses a reflection beam. The light output should be just about the same but the original one will look more focused on a wall or garage door. Ether one is a huge improvement over factory light, just comes down to style preference. I prefer the look of the original.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:44 PM
smyffa
Intermediate

The reflected one I think is a Truck-Lite Product ....

Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Timusa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No its not a Truck Lite!

Originally Posted by smyffa
The reflected one I think is a Truck-Lite Product ....
No its not. The Truck-Lite is a two–LED light – one LED for low and one for high beam. The Reflector is a different beast – three LEDs for low and same for high beam.
Also, the power draw rating is three times higher. See the pics.
I thought it was made by Peterson, but now I incline to think of these lights as of original Harley design.
As to the light spread – there are two basic types of LED headlights so far – projector type and reflector type. Projector does look cooler BUT light output is the same regardless of type and reflector type spreads better.

Attached Thumbnails Diff Daymaker Headlights-img_3982.jpg   Diff Daymaker Headlights-img_3983.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 05:03 PM
smyffa
Intermediate

You are correct .......After I look at the Harley one it looks different than the Truck Lite . But the Day maker is a JW Speaker light correct ?

Quick Reply: Diff Daymaker Headlights