Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service intervals

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:41 AM
kar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service intervals

My dealer gave me a paper at my 1k service that recommends service every 2500 miles, costing from a couple of hundred bucks to several hundred dollars, depending on the mileage.

Is service this frequent really necessary, or is it overkill and just a money maker for the dealer? Looks like the manual recommends every 5K. What do you guys do?

Thanks,
KAR

Old 08-31-2005, 10:52 AM
navyman
Road Master
Default RE: Service intervals

I change my own fluids at 2500 mile intervals and have the dealer do the services per the owner's manual at 5000 mile intervals. When I am beyond my warranty, I may do these on my own also.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your dealer needs your money more than he thinks you do.

The HD recommended service intervals are 1K, 5K, 10K and every 5K after that.

I wouldn't let him do any of them, I'd spend the $50, buy the manual, a few tools and do it myself. Buy the manual and look at it, you'll be amazed at how simple it all really is.

Mac

Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
PLHOG
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your dealer is a jerk to suggest this. A 5K service interval is often enough under normal conditions. HD dealers have been fat and happy for years, being able to sell every bike they get for MSRP+. There has been a sea change this year, revenues are down, and the less ethical dealers are pulling crap like this to get more of your money. I would expect that kind of dealer to find one or two extra things 'broken' whenever you take it in for service. Change dealers if have another one close by. All of need to send the message to this kind of dealer that sleaziness won't be tolerated by the HD owner community.

We have a cool situation at our dealership (C&A HD in Columbus OH): The dealer himself is an long-time biker who rides with the HOG club on many of our outings (including a 15 day, 5000mi trip we took a couple of years ago). Both the head salesman and the service manager are guys who rode with the HOG club for years before joining the dealership team. Couldn't imagine any of these guys pulling this kind of crap.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:34 AM
kar
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to do the "in between" oil changes myself and just have the dealer do the 5000, 10,000, etc. stuff to protect my warranty. Used to do it all on my old bikes, so it should be no big deal.

Do you guys use synthetic oil? if so, what brand do you use and how many miles on your bike before the switch? OPPS, I probably should check the DIY forum. The question has probably been asked and answered a million times. Sorry,

KAR

Old 08-31-2005, 11:34 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anybody know exactly what they do per interval?

Old 08-31-2005, 11:37 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you guys use synthetic oil? if so, what brand do you use and how many miles on your bike before the switch? OPPS, I probably should check the DIY forum. The question has probably been asked and answered a million times. Sorry,
You're right, it has...go to the General Tech Section on Oil and Oil Related Topics, do a search, you'll find more information than you dreamed of.

Does anybody know exactly what they do per interval?
When you get your manual this weekend with your bike, it's all laid out in there.

Mac

Old 08-31-2005, 11:41 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, Thanks[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-31-2005, 11:52 AM
kar
Advanced

My dealer actually prints out their maintainence schedule and hands it to the customers, insinuating that you must follow that schedule to keep your warranty. When I question the difference between their schedule and the one in the owners manual, they kind of cough, turn their heads, and mumble something. You know the routine. Of course it creates BIG profits for them. There is a used Harley/chopper shop near by that does major and minor service/repairs. I have talked with them on occasion, even before I bought my bike. They seem very helpful and knowledgable. I just might give them a try!

Old 08-31-2005, 12:10 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I do my own services. I change oil and filter every 2,500 miles, and the other fluids every 5,000 miles.

If you have a 50.00 manual, it is all pretty simple, it does not void your warranty, as long as you keep records.

Regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: Service intervals