Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Ultra Classic Low Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Ultra Classic Low Question...

Anyone have any specifics on what makes the Ultra Classic Low 'low'? (Ultra Low laden seat height - 25.6" compared the 'standard' Ultra of 27.3".) I know there is a narrower primary case, and would assume that changes were made with the seat and shocks... are the changes more specific than something like Profile-Low shocks and a Reach seat? I'm interested in all the changes and as to how they might be applied to a 2010 model.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:59 PM
WaucondaRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've been able to gather, they put the low profile hand adjustable shocks on the rear and the 1" shorter springs in the front. They used the reach seat and put bars with a longer pull back on them.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

The 'Low' bikes have:
1. New handlebar position with reduced diameter grips.
2. Premium 1" lowered front and rear suspension.
3. Reduced width primary housing and derby cover.
4. New passenger footboards.
5. Lower profile seat.
6. Extended reach side stand.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RKZen
The 'Low' bikes have:
1. New handlebar position with reduced diameter grips.
2. Premium 1" lowered front and rear suspension.
3. Reduced width primary housing and derby cover.
4. New passenger footboards.
5. Lower profile seat.
6. Extended reach side stand.
Thanks for the information. I'm not sure how the reduced diameter grips and floorboards might help get the bike lower... I'll have to take Harley's word on that one. I've done the rear shocks and Reach seat, along with changing out the passenger floorboards to mini-floorboards, and recently went to pegs. Guess the next step is to have the front forks done but the labor is ridiculous compared to the costs of parts.

Will definitely check out the new primary and see if it really makes much of a difference. The online part description states: The open area provides short-limbed riders a straight leg path to the pavement / Simplifies walking the bike into and out of parking spots. This is exactly the issue that I'm trying to resolve, especially when leaving from a stop.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Thanks for the information. I'm not sure how the reduced diameter grips and floorboards might help get the bike lower... I'll have to take Harley's word on that one. I've done the rear shocks and Reach seat, along with changing out the passenger floorboards to mini-floorboards, and recently went to pegs. Guess the next step is to have the front forks done but the labor is ridiculous compared to the costs of parts.

Will definitely check out the new primary and see if it really makes much of a difference. The online part description states: The open area provides short-limbed riders a straight leg path to the pavement / Simplifies walking the bike into and out of parking spots. This is exactly the issue that I'm trying to resolve, especially when leaving from a stop.
It's just another way for the moco to keep the sheep coming in the door year after year. Most will trade their bikes every few years or so for the latest greatest and actually believe that they are getting a better product. There is nothing done to the 2014 or 2015 that can't be accomplished cheaper and better on the aftermarket. I just keep on laughing everytime I see something "new" from the moco. All they do is copy the aftermarket....usually its the other way around. Prices go up year after year for minimal improvements and the sheep keep following. Best bet is to get a 2012 or 2013 and ride it until the new frame comes out. And im not talking about some "stiffer" frame sections or inverted forks. Im talking about a radical change like what was done on the 2009 bikes. As long as people keep sucking up these "new" bikes (actually a better term is "re-marketed"), the moco will keep putting out the same ol crap.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:46 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I'm not sure how the reduced diameter grips and floorboards might help get the bike lower... I'll have to take Harley's word on that one.
The bars don't necessarily lower the bike, but rather provides less reach and effort for your arms and fingers. The floorboards are tucked in more so it doesn't interfere with your leg when maneuvering the bike, say in a parking space. Part of the overall confidence feeling.

Last edited by RKZen; 08-27-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:13 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the idea of the narrower primary cover just to stop my damn leg from burning.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

It's just another way for the moco to keep the sheep coming in the door year after year. Most will trade their bikes every few years or so for the latest greatest and actually believe that they are getting a better product. There is nothing done to the 2014 or 2015 that can't be accomplished cheaper and better on the aftermarket. I just keep on laughing everytime I see something "new" from the moco. All they do is copy the aftermarket....usually its the other way around. Prices go up year after year for minimal improvements and the sheep keep following. Best bet is to get a 2012 or 2013 and ride it until the new frame comes out. And im not talking about some "stiffer" frame sections or inverted forks. Im talking about a radical change like what was done on the 2009 bikes. As long as people keep sucking up these "new" bikes (actually a better term is "re-marketed"), the moco will keep putting out the same ol crap.

Harley has a policy of continuous improvement. Every so often they design an improvement for their bikes and integrate it into the next model year. The bikes are not re-invented every year, but all the improvements add up to better bikes.

Some years the improvements are internal, such as improvements to gearing, compensator or bearings. Some are small, but others are larger, such as 6 speed transmission, better frame, 103 engines (just enhanced with the 103 High Output)

The Rushmore program addressed many previously ignored areas to totally freshen up their road bikes. Same basic bike, but with better engine, forks, lighting, electronics, suspensions, etc.

Usually see only very small changes, usually to address a weakness, after large model changes.

Harley keeps moving their bikes forward, while maintaining a connection with those who have gone before.

Last edited by Uncle Paul; 08-27-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:13 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

I agree that the 2015's offer no major redesign in terms of what I'm looking for... since the frame wasn't redesigned, I was pretty sure that all the parts that make the new 'Low' a low could readily be done to my 2010, some of which I have already done. No way would I spend the $8k, $9k or $10+ difference, plus the California tax and license fees, just to get the features of the Low when it's just parts that Harley has changed-out from the original configuration. All those items probably represent no more than $2k in parts and labor and I've already done half of them. I like a lot of the changes that were initially done for the 2014 models, like the GPS, and the end result of the new 'Low', but in no way could I justify the expense difference for a new bike with mine having been paid for on day one.

I am glad to see that Harley is better recognizing the need for bikes for shorter riders without having to buy a bike and then go page by page through the P&A to achieve the needed end result.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by y2kflhr
I like the idea of the narrower primary cover just to stop my damn leg from burning.
If you haven't done so already, you can check it out online:
Narrow-Profile Outer Primary Cover (Available in chrome or gloss black)
Part Number 25700385

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-primary-cover

Also requires the purchase of a 'narrow' derby cover but doing a quick online catalog search, the only one that shows up is in black only.

Big question is how much narrower is it really, and will it make any practical difference when riding.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 08-27-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Ultra Classic Low Question...