Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hammock seating position

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Hammock seating position

I recently purchased a rider/passenger hammock seat for my EG. This seat feels great on the butt and eats up bumps as advertised. But there's always a "BUT"!
I have stock bars and find myself having to lean forward to ride. I can't tell wether the height of the seat is causing me to reach down for the bars or if the seat is moving me back or maybe a combination of both. I also feel like I'm hanging onto the bars under acceleration as inertia pulls me back. I never felt this on my cramped stock seat.
I'm 6', so I'm not short but I'm beginning to think I may have short arms.
Can others chime in and tell me their experience regarding seating position with the hammock seat?

Old 09-03-2014, 07:37 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It does move you back

Old 09-03-2014, 07:43 PM
WolfDog
Road Master

I have the rider only hammock and it put me slightly back and up.
2500 miles on it to Colorado and back last month and it was like I was on a new bike.
I only 5'10 and it was perfect.
I think you just need to give it some time.
If your stock seat was a Low like mine was you just need some saddle time to get used to it.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

On my old frame bike (2006) the hammock moved me back so far I had to modify my drivers backrest bracket so it would work. Moved me back 2+ inches. Had to adjust my bars and highway pegs so I could reach them.

I was very surprised at this as it seams the 08+ bikes don't have this issues, or so I thought.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain

I was at the dealer today talking about this exact subject.... They said the 13 priors move you back, the 14's are close to stock, and when the 15 come out they will be more like the 13's. But what do they know, I never believe them till I put a tape measurer on it anyway

Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

If you don't adjust after some time in the saddle try rolling your bars back 1/2-1" to compensate for the seat moving you back.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

There are two totally different hammock seats. I put on the 53051-09 Rider Touring Hammock just before this summers vacation ride. It is a completely different seat than the 52000004 Rider and Passenger Touring Hammock. When I tried the "Harley" demo seat program, I felt that the 52000004 was no improvement over a stock or Mustang Touring. I therefore purchased the older designed 53051-09 just before this summers trip. My *** made it 5600 miles in 16 days of riding. In fact, I never had to stop because I was sore. While not perfect, it is as close as I need to get. This is on a '10.

It is huge and ugly, but comfortable for multiple long days. When I got back, I threw my other seat on...took and ride and said what the hell, put the Hammock back on and will live with the the helicopter landing pad behind me.

If the seat works for you otherwise, you might consider changing the handlebars.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Makdaddy
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
There are two totally different hammock seats. I put on the 53051-09 Rider Touring Hammock just before this summers vacation ride. It is a completely different seat than the 52000004 Rider and Passenger Touring Hammock. When I tried the "Harley" demo seat program, I felt that the 52000004 was no improvement over a stock or Mustang Touring. I therefore purchased the older designed 53051-09 just before this summers trip. My *** made it 5600 miles in 16 days of riding. In fact, I never had to stop because I was sore. While not perfect, it is as close as I need to get. This is on a '10.

It is huge and ugly, but comfortable for multiple long days. When I got back, I threw my other seat on...took and ride and said what the hell, put the Hammock back on and will live with the the helicopter landing pad behind me.

If the seat works for you otherwise, you might consider changing the handlebars.

Did it look like this? Or was it a newer (post 2010 seat) the 53051-09

Attached Thumbnails Hammock seating position-hammock.jpeg  
Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

On my 12 Street Glide I started with a Sundowner to provide passenger comfort. It pushed me forward so much my stones were scrunched into the tank. (Passenger was happy though)

Then installed a Hammock, and it moved me back.....aaahhh!

Then, like you, I needed to lean into the bars.

I installed a riders backrest, and that fixed a lot of things. Not only was much more comfortable on longer trips, but it pushed me just forward enough that I no longer needed to hang onto the bars. Ergonomics were now just perfect.

Now everybody is different, but now I can ride like the wind, for hours and hours, with no discomfort. Bike feels molded to my body, and very natural

Old 09-08-2014, 02:48 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Makdaddy
Did it look like this? Or was it a newer (post 2010 seat) the 53051-09
Mine looks like that, the 53051-09 is the original rider only hammack, passenger helo pad got extra foam.

Quick Reply: Hammock seating position