Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Erickson wheel chock kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 10:25 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Erickson wheel chock kit

Anyone use this product or something similar to tie down the rear of your Trike?

https://ericksonmfg.com/product/whee...and-strap-kit/

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-28-2022 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Texcuda (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 10:36 AM
Texcuda
Tourer

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Those look like they might work well for a trike. I found an older looking box for this product on Amazon for $20 and the newer box seen on Erickson's website at Walmart.com for $75. Pretty big difference in price.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:53 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

That looks like a sweet set up. Not sure how easily it will work with the rear fenders on a Tri Glide. The ratchet may be impeded from working due to the rear fenders.

This is how I've transported our Tri Glides for 10's of thousands of miles.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
huskerBG (04-04-2022), Texcuda (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:06 AM
Texcuda
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
That looks like a sweet set up. Not sure how easily it will work with the rear fenders on a Tri Glide. The ratchet may be impeded from working due to the rear fenders.

This is how I've transported our Tri Glides for 10's of thousands of miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbKysq1ymc

@DK Custom Does the comfort lift for the Tri-Glide effect the tire to fender distance?

Old 03-30-2022, 05:52 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

I think Kevin may be right that this setup probably would not work on a triglide because the fenders would prevent the ratchets from being usable.
However for my application which is a Freewheeler I think it may work well because on a Freewheeler the rear of the fenders flare outward thus allowing more space to ratchet down the straps.

I went ahead and ordered a set and will give them a try on my Freewheeler and submit a review.

Also I do have the DK customs comfort lift and I believe it does raise the fender just a bit off the wheel

Texcuda (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 06:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Texcuda
@DK Custom Does the comfort lift for the Tri-Glide effect the tire to fender distance?
It does not.

It does make the rear of the rear fenders about 1" further from the ground.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I think Kevin may be right that this setup probably would not work on a triglide because the fenders would prevent the ratchets from being usable.
However for my application which is a Freewheeler I think it may work well because on a Freewheeler the rear of the fenders flare outward thus allowing more space to ratchet down the straps.

I went ahead and ordered a set and will give them a try on my Freewheeler and submit a review.

Also I do have the DK customs comfort lift and I believe it does raise the fender just a bit off the wheel

Yes, it looks like it will work well with the Freewheeler. Looking forward to your review!

Old 04-03-2022, 06:53 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Well I got the Erickson wheel chock kit installed.
First; if you’ve got a Triglide save your time and move on this ain’t going to work for you.

The way the Triglide fenders wrap the wheels in front and back will likely not allow for enough space.
I think you could ratchet down the straps but there’s not enough clearance to release the straps.

If you have a Freewheeler, UTV, ATV, lawn tractor or a car to trailer this setup is pretty sweet.
Installation was easy and it only takes a couple of minutes to strap down the rear wheels.

I think with this setup all you really need is this kit and you’re good to go.
I however like to go overboard so I ended up strapping the rear hooks and securing the front.

Took the rig for a short ride down the highway and down a known bumpy back road and the Freewheeler never moved.

On a final note; when unloading you have to be on level ground or facing uphill.
The electric reverse motor isn’t strong enough to get over the rear chock if the bike is facing downhill.

If you notice in the attached pictures the Freewheeler is facing down a slight slope in my driveway.
I could not off-load the Freewheeler in this position as I popped the reverse breaker so I had to pull out into the street to get the trailer level.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-03-2022 at 07:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluraven:
DK Custom (04-04-2022), Texcuda (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 11:54 AM
Texcuda
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Well I got the Erickson wheel chock kit installed.
First; if you’ve got a Triglide save your time and move on this ain’t going to work for you.

The way the Triglide fenders wrap the wheels in front and back will likely not allow for enough space.
I think you could ratchet down the straps but there’s not enough clearance to release the straps.

If you have a Freewheeler, UTV, ATV, lawn tractor or a car to trailer this setup is pretty sweet.
Installation was easy and it only takes a couple of minutes to strap down the rear wheels.

I think with this setup all you really need is this kit and you’re good to go.
I however like to go overboard so I ended up strapping the rear hooks and securing the front.

Took the rig for a short ride down the highway and down a known bumpy back road and the Freewheeler never moved.

On a final note; when unloading you have to be on level ground or facing uphill.
The electric reverse motor isn’t strong enough to get over the rear chock if the bike is facing downhill.

If you notice in the attached pictures the Freewheeler is facing down a slight slope in my driveway.
I could not off-load the Freewheeler in this position as I popped the reverse breaker so I had to pull out into the street to get the trailer level.

Thanks for the follow-up!

DK Custom (04-04-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 07:49 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

I wanted to post a follow-up on this Erickson wheel chock kit.
After a few load/unloads it is apparent that getting over the rear chock with the electric reverse in my opinion puts too much stress on the reverse motor.

Since the front of the rear wheels were tight against the front chocks anyway the rear chocks really weren’t serving any purpose so I decided to remove the rear chocks and replace them with 6”X5” e-track plates.
These e-track plates provide the same function as the rear Erickson chocks did which is simply a tie down point but are only about 1/2” tall.

So in my opinion if this type of setup is desired I would simple go with either e-track plates in front and rear of the rear wheels or perhaps better would be to put down two extended length of e-track rails and park the rear wheels on the track, then take two 2” ratchet e-straps and secure the rear wheels.

In closing just so as to be fair; nowhere does Erickson state that their wheel chock kit works for a Harley Freewheeler.
I simple thought it was a good idea and decided to try it out.
I still have a good tie down system but could have gotten the same results a little cheaper than the $50 I spent on this kit.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-19-2022 at 08:46 AM.