Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pipes burning my leg

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Would I have a problem with it interfering with the brake petal? Obviously not for you, but did it take getting used to? I would like to try that.
No, the pegs will not interfere with the brake petal because they are located to the right and outside of the fearing (obviously, the left peg is located to the left and outside of the fearing).

The best way for me to describe what I am recommending is for you to sit on your trike and rest your right heel on the floorboard and point your toes to the right at approximately a 45 degree angle to an imaginary foot peg. This exercise will allow you to see exactly what the actual installation will be like.

When you do the actual install, it would probably be easier if you would sit on the bike in your riding position while your husband adjusts the position of the pegs. It took me several attempts to get the positioning just right for me because I had to do it my self which meant getting off the bike, readjusting, getting back on the bike, etc., etc.

No, it didn’t take any time at all to get use to riding this way because it just feels so natural and as I said in an earlier post, this set up allows me to ride my trike in 100+ degree temps. Wearing short pants!

Let me know how you make out.

Jim

Old 04-29-2009, 12:26 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you still have to deal with the heat issue. My 07 picked up heat real bad after the 1000 mile service. Pinged, and almost burned my leg off. Took it to the dealer and they downloaded a new map. Haven't had a problem since, and I ride in 100+ degree weather. I also don't use any fuel but shell or chevron 91 octane. My bike has no mods to the engine.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by desertclassic
I think you still have to deal with the heat issue. My 07 picked up heat real bad after the 1000 mile service. Pinged, and almost burned my leg off. Took it to the dealer and they downloaded a new map. Haven't had a problem since, and I ride in 100+ degree weather. I also don't use any fuel but shell or chevron 91 octane. My bike has no mods to the engine.
I couldn't agree with you more. Putting on high way pegs is not resolving the heat issue which will create other problems down the road. To the best of my knowledge there is not a down load for the Tri Glide except a muffler down load if you change mufflers.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 04-29-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully between all of us having the heat problem, we will get it figured out. Meanwhile, I am going to measure my around my calf and order the leather leg half chaps.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
bdn56
Road Captain

I went to a little rally in Holt Florida this past weekend. One of the vendors was installing a product that should reduce the temp 20 to 40 degrees for about $100.00. I'll see how it works at Thunder Beach this weekend.

If it works, I'll pm you the details when I return Sunday evening.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Of course, the obvious question is 'when will the MoCo be fitting a water cooled engine to their flagship range?'

Answers on a postcard, please...

Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Peggy, Does you hubby wear tall boots? Mine does and he is of course taller than me, so I don't think the heat would bother him so much. I am going to see if my tall equestrian boots will keep my leg from getting burned....if so, I will order the leather half chaps.
Joanie... Mac's boots are above the ankle - not real tall and he doesn't wear chaps... And he's about 5' 7 1/2"....

There's a number of questions for you as to what happened the day you were riding:

1. Were you wearing long or short pants...?

2. Were they heavy like the harley (or men's) jeans - if they were long...?

3. Were you riding in a lot of stop and go traffic with the higher temps...?

4. What type of shoes/boots were you wearing...?

5. Do you know the direction of the wind vs the direction you were riding...?

6. Did you open up your vents on your TriGlide - don't know what it's called but the thing the engine guard would attach to or the thing that is in front of where the drivers foot boards are...?

6a. The other vents are on each side of the 'bat wing' - if that's what it's called...?

I'll add some comments regarding the above and us:

We always wear long (heavy jeans) pants and boots over the ankle no matter how far or where we are riding - plus I always wear chaps, feel naked without them...

We lived in Florida and currently in Texas where we're riding in warm/warmer temps...

Direction of the wind - if you're riding in a 'head wind' - wind coming towards you, that will cool off the engine somewhat as the air is cooling the engine...

If the wind is coming from behind you (better gas mileage) but doesn't cool off the engine...

When we stopped in Kent, Texas (just east of El Paso) for gas I felt the 'heat shield' and it was warm - can see where you could have been burned by it...

Like I said at another time, that portion of our legs has 'toughened' up as the heat does not bother us any longer - or should say 'redness', 'uncomfortable', 'soreness'...

Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Well some can think what they like but True duals and a proper tune cooled my engine down at least 40 degrees as compared to stock ... An Oil Cooler is the next step for me as this will probably be my last Bike and want it to last and 14.6 A/F is too hot for any engine ... Since went to true duals and PCIII properly tuned to 13.6 A/F Love it and don't burn my legs even in 90 degree weather... although I don't wear shorts when riding will leave that to dummies...

Old 05-01-2009, 04:57 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Well some can think what they like but True duals and a proper tune cooled my engine down at least 40 degrees as compared to stock ... An Oil Cooler is the next step for me as this will probably be my last Bike and want it to last and 14.6 A/F is too hot for any engine ... Since went to true duals and PCIII properly tuned to 13.6 A/F Love it and don't burn my legs even in 90 degree weather... although I don't wear shorts when riding will leave that to dummies...
Couldn't agree with you more. Tru duals certainly have an effect on pre 09 bikes. In 09 the left pipe goes under the bike and exits out the rear from there. That means there is basically no heat on the left side. Most folks on this thread are riding Tri Glides and they come with an oil cooler. The biggest thing that can be done to manage the heat is a fuel management system and a proper tune. The new 09 bikes are running very lean which equates to hot.I certainly can remedy the heat problem and pinging with my Tri Glide but there goes my warranty.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Peggy, to answer your questions......I was traveling highway speeds when it started getting hot. Temps somewhere in the upper 70's low 80's since we were traveling in the morning. Not a lot of wind, but the direction was southwest and we were traveling northwest. I did forget to upon my lower vents. I didn't even know I had vents on the batwing fairing. I wear over the ankle boots and Lee Jeans. No chaps.
Hope you guys are enjoying your trip. I'm jealous and so is my hubby. He wants so bad to just take off on a trip for a while. I just need to figure out what to do with the critters.

Quick Reply: Pipes burning my leg