Average labor to replace tires? - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums

Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average labor to replace tires?

P

Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 AM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs View Post
Nevermind.....

Edited again to add.....Why did I respond to a 7 year old thread?? OMG.
HAHA

Your not the only one...

Being a DIYer I had to add that I've been doing my own tires for over 5 years now and the savings is AMAZING. Especially since I go through about 6-8 tires a year with all of my machines.

When I bought my XG-A I was asked to purchase the tire and rim package (warranty) However the total cost of tires, install to keep my rims "safe" was astronomical. 17" radial tubeless rims last forever on the Japanese standard bikes (I have over 200K miles on 17" tubeless ZR tires) so it seemed redundant to buy a warranty for a pretty damn reliable wheel setup( one of the factors that sold me to going Harley instead of Japanese on my new machine).

Currently running Shinko 006 Podiums and am very impressed with turn in, peg dragging traction, I'm running an undersized 150 in the rear to gear it up some so exiting the hilly twisty stuff popping the front wheel off the ground is obtainable. Also slipping out the rear wheel is fun too . I have over 150K combined miles on Shinkos and for the price you can't touch them, especially on odd sizes (like my Street-Rod). Last rear tire swap cost me $89...

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Jedz123; 07-25-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:46 AM
One Of The Regulars

Very helpful information. I just picked up an FLSS and during the "Shop" tour they talked about tires. I asked how much to do a tire swap with the wheels on the bike. I was quoted $200-$230 for labor.

I was a bit shocked. I expected maybe $120 for the pair. On my other bikes (non-belt drive), I've typically removed the wheels and taken them to a shop who charged 50 bucks to swap tires out. Admittedly I probably spend 30ish minutes removing and installing the front wheel and probably 45 minutes for the rear.

So factoring the cost of my time and their time, I reckon' its really not that bad...
Old 08-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Extreme HDF Member

It's a rip off, if the made a bit less they would sell a lot mot tires but I guess it's not a profit center for them.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Senior Rider
Default Having two tires all done

having new on mine local indie shop I removed rims. They new tires Dunlop Elite 3 Mh 90-21 frt. 150 80-16 rear total tubes new balance 370 and change happy with that And use spoke weights no glue ones

My old tires have new ones tomorrow. And yes I got my money's worth out of them. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Average labor to replace tires?-image.jpeg  

P