Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how I sealed inner primary shifter hole

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
treynolds155
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how I sealed inner primary shifter hole

07 FXD with mid controls, thought I'd give the forwards a shot so I put them on to try. I like them so then I wanted to get a primary cover that didn't have the hole for the shifter shaft. Cut the shift arm off and removed shaft per forum advice. Well now I have a sealed outer cover and the inner still has a hole where the shifter went through it. Dealers were useless so I went on to mod something. Ace Hardware, 1/2" by 3" long stainless steel fine thread bolt with SS washers and nut....all for ~$7.50.

From the outside of the inner primary (primary cover off and guts exposed) I put the bolt with one washer through the inner primary shifter shaft and topped it off on the engine side with a synthetic washer (the one they use to seal the inner and outer primary shaft holes internally) the second SS washer, nut and locktite.

Worked like a champ, no worries about crap getting through the original shifter hole to the inside of the primary.

Dealers are worthless!!!

Hope this helps someone, I know I'm not the only one to do this.

Tim

Old 03-30-2009, 04:49 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good idea

Old 03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

use a freeze plug from the auto store

Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,310 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Years ago when a person worked at a dealer they were usually hired in for their mechanical knowledge or ingenuity and sometimes their devotion to the product. Now they don't hire those because you pay for experience and it's about cutting costs and the customer suffers for it.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
crsowa
Tourer

pics???

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
SGMAN
Cruiser

good idea, but why didn't you use the plug that comes with the kit? Nice and chrome

"Worked like a champ, no worries about crap getting through the original shifter hole to the inside of the primary."

You didn't have to worry, the shifter hole is sealed from the primary. If i understand what you did right.

Last edited by SGMAN; 03-30-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
partieson
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In fear of sounding really stupid...Dont you now have a bolt head sticking out of your outter primary cover? It sounds like a really good idea and all but I dont want the head of a bolt in the center of my primary case. I do agree with CRSOWA pics would be really cool.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SGMAN
good idea, but why didn't you use the plug that comes with the kit? Nice and chrome

"Worked like a champ, no worries about crap getting through the original shifter hole to the inside of the primary."

You didn't have to worry, the shifter hole is sealed from the primary. If i understand what you did right.

Originally Posted by partieson
In fear of sounding really stupid...Dont you now have a bolt head sticking out of your outter primary cover? It sounds like a really good idea and all but I dont want the head of a bolt in the center of my primary case. I do agree with CRSOWA pics would be really cool.

You need to re-read what he wrote, he got a outer primary cover without the shaft hole (like the outer primary cover from a Wide Glide)

Old 03-31-2009, 06:03 AM
treynolds155
Intermediate

There is really nothing to take a picture off, everything is hidden. Like Formula says, the outer is a WG style without the hole, the inner has the hole. The new outer has no means of blocking the inner shaft hole and HD has nothing for this. What I like about my set up is that there is almost no chance of anything coming loose inside the primary and no rubber gaskets to deteriorate from oils...etc.