Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Milwaukee 8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Joseph Holland
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joeh

This is my 5th harley. Never had a minutes trouble out of any of the other bikes, now this. Logged over 10K miles on the others, haven't turned a wheel on this one. May ask for a new one but it may have same issues.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:27 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by glj100
you're choice but they will replace the same parts as mine and put it back out as a new bike. Mine is fine now with no issues. The oil pressure is at 8lbs when the bike is hot and the oil pump switch is at 5lbs for a warning.

How did you get an oil pressure reading? Did HD update something to allow for an oil pressure reading on the vehicle information screen instead of "OK" or "Check Oil"?

Old 10-15-2016, 03:29 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Holland
Bought a 2017 ultra limited yesterday. Never made it through initial inspection before engine oil light issues. Don't know if I should enforce the lemon law and demand a new one or let them fix it....
Just did a quick skim of the lemon law for your state. You have to give the manufacture a chance to remedy the problem. Since you're just taking delivery, it looks like they get the chance to fix it before you can lemon law it.

IMO anyone who buys a 1st year with a major redesign has to expect there will be problems, they use the customer as beta testers.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Rode my 17 roadglide into work today. I was on an incline waiting on the light and my oil light popped on for a second. I did the 1000 mile service myself Friday. I did check the oil level and it was fine Friday. There was no oil anywhere in the garage this morning (a normal check I do). When the light popped on this morning, the first thing I did was check the oil pressure which said it was good. The next thing I did was turn off the radio to listen to it run and see if it felt unusually warm. Both checks came out fine. All of this in the span of sitting at a red light.

I see a lot of people in panic mode over this already. Im not going to go there because you can always sort of tell when a motorcycle has an issue. The engine will sound different and the heat on the bike will change. If it is a problem, pull off to the side and call the dealer for them to fix it and get an off day from work.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:20 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by jammerx
Why the cam and the cover?
The MoCo wants the parts because this issue is not an isolated one; same issue is being reported on other forum and it seems to be occurring more with the Tri Glide than other models; the MoCo is all about working out the bugs for the '18 release; that's what beta testing is all about. At least the OP got the situation resolved with some inconvenience but at no cost and is back on the road......

Old 11-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Dave Richard Carlton
4th Gear

Originally Posted by glj100
So bought the Triglide on Saturday. Yesterday reverse gear would not work, circuit breaker not tripped. Today after a 5 mile ride I stop at some lights and I get an Oil warning light. Rev the bike and it goes out. Checked the info screen and it says OK or check Oil not the pressure it used to on the 2016 Ultra I had before.

Spoke to Harley and they want the dealer to resolve this. It has 120 miles on the bike, shouldnInpush for a new bike or new engine?

getting new M8 twin cooled engine from factory rushed after the oil light on idle. 400 miles. Dealer scoped the cylinders and found gouges. What I could glean from their conversation with factory was about batch numbers that had shavings from drilling hole for oil pump but factory secretive sorta. I think metal kept the oil pressure relief valve ajar so at low idle it bled off pressure. This is better than design flaw, IMHO.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:06 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by crush63
.0055 runout, that sucks. The cam plate/oil pump are not going to have a long life at that spec.
Not the best news but that crank, unless beat on, will last a lot longer than you think. I know guys running gears, albeit a bit noisy, at .005" runout.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:45 PM
sd jon
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My dealer told me yesterday the problem was wrong oil pump installed in wrong engine. Different pumps for oil cooled or water cooled. Any one else here this one yet???

Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 AM
Dave Richard Carlton
4th Gear
Default Oil pressure at idle

Originally Posted by sd jon
My dealer told me yesterday the problem was wrong oil pump installed in wrong engine. Different pumps for oil cooled or water cooled. Any one else here this one yet???
Had not heard this. Have M8 twin cooled Ultra Limited getting new engine because of metal in oil. (Scarred the cylinders and oil light at idle after 400 miles.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:49 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

My dealer told me the same thing. Wrong oil pump being installed for the application

Quick Reply: Milwaukee 8 problems