2018+ Softail Models Breakout

ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....

Old 10-14-2017, 08:08 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Yeah - I saw those! Sadly the 114 to 124 aren't HD OEM kits, but are from Suburban Speed. So no warranty on your motor if you use one. And my bike is so new I want to keep the warranty for a while at least....
Ya I'll do them after warranty I think, they look good quality too man they're using Mahle pistons and everyone else uses just CP I think.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:16 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Ya I'll do them after warranty I think, they look good quality too man they're using Mahle pistons and everyone else uses just CP I think.
better quality with forged pistons will appear a little further down the line from better know brands.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:40 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Lucky lucky player it's always good to find that stuff just before dark right , ha ha.
Question do new bikes in the states come with 2 years roadside assistance we do here.
Don't know mate - I'm in the UK and they come with it here!

Old 10-14-2017, 10:05 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,088 Likes on 23,226 Posts

Beautiful bike and a great review...tracking her down and traveling 400+ miles to get her just makes the bike that much more special.

Enjoy the ride and hope to see more of you vision on what the final look of you bike will be. Congrats.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:44 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

:-) I am still thinking about my vision for this bike! I really like the look as it is, but need to do something with the pipes. Slip ons or complete 2:1 system, but I shall wait a while and see what comes out. Looks like a D&D BobCat on your bike - I had the same on my Dyna and loved it, but I fancy a change this time around.

The bike runs really, really well even bone stock, so the waiting won't be that hard.

Other than that, I need different turn signals so will have to see what I can find. I would have used LED bar end turn signals at the front, but you can't do that with a throttle by wire bike unfortunately, so will look for another approach.

The bike will also get a quarter fairing from Phil Birch. The prototype is in the mail right now but I will need to mess around to get the mounting sorted, then get it painted.

Other than that, all the bits I had to pay good money to black out on my Dyna are already black! The only thing that needs changed there are the front control levers for a black set. Tank lift and coil relocation is also already done from the factory this time!

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Gremski
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adm
So I had a bit of a catastrophe today!

But I'd recommend everyone checks that connector so this doesn't happen to you!
Can you post a pic of where that connector is? BTW thanks for the posts, love hearing how the bike is working! I have a deposit on one now, but won't be in until 10/31.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:16 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
a guy here did a se 117 on a fat boy and was not pleased. looking at the dyno above, i'd be pissed too. my 110 is doing better numbers BUT, i bet the se 117 is smoother, more stable, not as high strung, and more reliable in the long run. my bike is no longer the quiet cruiser it was when it was a 103.... it's pissed, all the time. like a crazy chick with really good [ ]. a lot of fun to play with but, may not bode well for long term.
Hehehe.... I know what you mean. My 103 Dyna Fat Bob was pretty hot rodded. Cams, headwork etc...although no big bore. It went like stink, but it was quite highly strung and sounded just plain angry (D&D BobCat, Andrews 57H). Nicely angry - but you know exactly what I mean! It was also happier at high revs - basically it loved the 3-5K+ range

The amazing thing about the 114" Fat Bob is that the grunt is just there without needing to wind it up to the redline.

I spent this afternoon cruising around and blowing off cars for the fun of it. One thing I noticed is that where on the Dyna i might take 2 cars in front of me, on the new 114" I would take 3 or 4 in a line. I guess that's just down to having more torque where you need it in normal riding. I can feel the torque tail off after about 3.5K on the new bike though.

This is with the standard cam. It looks like the Stage 2 Torque cam gives way more grunt and doesn't tail off so early. I'm just waiting for my local dealer to do their normal 20% off parts and labour over the winter for that. I would do it myself and use a non HD cam, but well.....warranty.

Don't get me wrong - I am loving the new engine, but I do think it needs a decent cam (and of course freer flowing exhaust and a good tune). There's heaps of untapped potential with this stock motor - I am really looking forward to unleashing it.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:21 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gremski
Can you post a pic of where that connector is? BTW thanks for the posts, love hearing how the bike is working! I have a deposit on one now, but won't be in until 10/31.
I certainly can....

It's this one! Sits just under the air filter. I don't have service Manual for this bike yet, but it looks like this one carries the signals from the two throttle position sensors in the throttle body back to the ECM.

The following users liked this post:
Gremski (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 06:34 PM
103inches
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Amazing what one loose connector can do...

Old 10-14-2017, 09:54 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by adm

This is with the standard cam. It looks like the Stage 2 Torque cam gives way more grunt and doesn't tail off so early. I'm just waiting for my local dealer to do their normal 20% off parts and labour over the winter for that. I would do it myself and use a non HD cam, but well.....warranty.

Don't get me wrong - I am loving the new engine, but I do think it needs a decent cam (and of course freer flowing exhaust and a good tune). There's heaps of untapped potential with this stock motor - I am really looking forward to unleashing it.
i agree. when i rode it. i was blown away by it throwing out what felt like the power of mine but, it was gone by 4.5-5.0.

order your parts from board tracker at 20% and have them go directly to your dealer. i don't think they can deny you on warranty if done that way. maybe check with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....