2018+ Softail Models Breakout

ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:22 AM
FunRider
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 103inches
Amazing what one loose connector can do...
I wonder if this was just a random one off problem OR a design fault that's going to lead to the first recall for the 2018 models......

Old 10-15-2017, 08:52 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRider
I wonder if this was just a random one off problem OR a design fault that's going to lead to the first recall for the 2018 models......
I wouldn't call it a design fault - more an assembly issue. Whoever was meant to install that connector on the assembly line just pushed it home but didn't latch it properly.

Hopefully, he/she only missed my bike or there will almost certainly be a few more that go into limp mode as the things vibrates loose over time.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:59 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
i agree. when i rode it. i was blown away by it throwing out what felt like the power of mine but, it was gone by 4.5-5.0.

order your parts from board tracker at 20% and have them go directly to your dealer. i don't think they can deny you on warranty if done that way. maybe check with them.
:-) I'm in the UK, so Board Tracker isn't going to help. But I do have Jersey HD near by (relatively) and they sell everything at 20% off, so similar kind of deal.

As far as i know, they definitely can't void warranty that way. They say it has to be HD parts installed by either HD or an accredited HD tech working for an independent.

But they also say that using non-HD exhaust/slip-ons and a Power Vision tune for Stage 1 will NOT void warranty - apart from (obviously) the non-HD pipes themselves.

I think I will go slip ons first as I like the look of the stock pipes. Just waiting for Rinehart and S&S to release their slip ons....

Old 10-15-2017, 11:02 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Just looking at swapping out a few things....

I ordered a set of the Avon memory foam grips. Size large (1.625" OD) for throttle by wire. No spikes on the end.....

Then I looked at the clutch and brake hand control levers. HD part number 36700210. How much???? £151 GBP here. For a pair of black levers.....sheesh.

So I need some aftermarket options here.....looks like the levers are different from previous bikes, so does anyone know of anyone making a set that will fit. Adjustable would be good but not necessary.

Next up - I need to swap the mirrors for some a little higher and further out. Off to Google we go....

Old 10-15-2017, 09:06 PM
Gremski
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adm

Next up - I need to swap the mirrors for some a little higher and further out. Off to Google we go....
Hey Adm, a rider in another thread posted they were really happy with the buckshot mirrors. Said they could see over their shoulders now. Might want to take a look at em..

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-14-9241608--1

Old 10-15-2017, 09:31 PM
Sidefire
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adm

I ordered a set of the Avon memory foam grips. Size large (1.625" OD) for throttle by wire. No spikes on the end.....

Then I looked at the clutch and brake hand control levers. HD part number 36700210. How much???? £151 GBP here. For a pair of black levers.....sheesh.

So I need some aftermarket options here.....looks like the levers are different from previous bikes, so does anyone know of anyone making a set that will fit. Adjustable would be good but not necessary.

New to the forum, bought the 18 FB a few weeks ago and Im loving it.

I had the same issue with the mirrors, so I tried inverting them. Has worked great for me!

Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sidefire
New to the forum, bought the 18 FB a few weeks ago and Im loving it.

I had the same issue with the mirrors, so I tried inverting them. Has worked great for me!
I might give that a go!

But I have ordered some new mirrors. Went for these ones in the end. I think they should look pretty good on the Bob

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Night_Prowler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ADM, regarding the Avon memory foam grips you ordered, what model Avon Grips did you order? I'm looking at getting some but they look to be an 1-1/2" longer than stock.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:00 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Night_Prowler
Hey ADM, regarding the Avon memory foam grips you ordered, what model Avon Grips did you order? I'm looking at getting some but they look to be an 1-1/2" longer than stock.
I ordered exactly these one:

http://avongrips-com.3dcartstores.co...rge_p_116.html

They say they are 4.6" internal length - and I just went out and rand a tape measure over my stock grips and that looks to be about perfect.

Male the ones with the spikes on the end are 1.5" longer than stock external length....

Old 10-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Night_Prowler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you said you ran a tape over the "stock" grips, did you mean the Avon grips? Or do you not have the Avon grips yet?

Quick Reply: ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....