The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:25 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Thompson

Not gonna say dealer names. I live a little north of Dayton
Let us know how things go. I will guess at the dealer :-) I hope to find a service department / technician I can go to and trust. Eventually there will be something I'll want that would be easier to pay someone to do. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Tom Thompson (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:33 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

They’re going to use the power vision tune. I’m sure the zipper Cam is not EPA compliant . But what I have read it is one of the best cams for the Milwaukee eight engine . I called the next dealer closest to me which they would use a SE cam and They would also do the Dina vision tune .Both dealers said the SE tuner Is not much good for anything
Well, all I can say to you is -- both of them intend to void your powertrain warranty. Here's the actual text from the court order that Harley is under:
Denial of Warranty
a. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year 2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any Defendants have any information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA.

b. Defendants shall instruct Harley-Davidson dealers to deny such warranty claims where any Defendant or any Harley-Davidson dealer has any such information.

c. No later than December 31, 2016, Defendants shall ensure that their warranty policies and product literature state that Defendants will deny warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle, Model Year 2017 or later, that was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order, or otherwise approved by EPA.
There's no wiggle room there. If you let those dealers touch your bike with a non-compliant tuner (and the PowerVision is non-compliant) then your warranty is gone, and that's all there is to it.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:45 PM
Tom Thompson
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dealer i called said Harley had something worked out with dynojet that it wouldn't void warranty.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

the dealer i called said Harley had something worked out with dynojet that it wouldn't void warranty.
Yeah, I don't think so. That would be front-page news on every forum and in every magazine if it were true.

Before you gamble your warranty, why not call a few more dealers and tell them what you've been told, and see what they say... if there's truly something where a Power Vision won't void the warranty, I'd think every one of us would want to know it.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:18 PM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfoot63
pegboards.com They have a bunch of pics and some good videos, also check youtube he has a great install video on installing on the 2018 models.
Thanks a lot

Old 01-31-2019, 03:56 PM
Tom Thompson
Novice

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Yeah, I don't think so. That would be front-page news on every forum and in every magazine if it were true.

Before you gamble your warranty, why not call a few more dealers and tell them what you've been told, and see what they say... if there's truly something where a Power Vision won't void the warranty, I'd think every one of us would want to know it.
its not a tuner unit. its a program thats dynojet sends them and its programed in on the dyno

Old 01-31-2019, 04:21 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

That's not how it works.

Well, let me back up -- there are two ways it can work. 1, they use a PowerVision or TTS or Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner, and flash a new tune into your bike's computer. That's the way the vast majority of tuning is done, and the ONLY way you can do it without losing your warranty is to use the Harley SEPST tuner.

2, they can use a non-flash-based tuner. Something like a Dynojet Power Commander V. That kind of tuner doesn't flash the engine computer, so it could be potentially removed without leaving a trace. It also isn't a very good tuning device when compared to a flash tuner. I asked one of the best tuning guys in the country his opinion of using a Power Commander instead of a flash tuner, and he said he wouldn't even bother, there's no point when compared to how much you can accomplish with a flash tuner. So -- if they're using that type of tuning, then they would be conspiring to violate the terms of the EPA's Consent Decree with Harley; if you read it again you'll see where it says that Harley must tell their dealers, and their dealers must tell Harley, and if either the dealer or Harley knows of any tuning that's done with a non-EPA-approved CARB-approved tuning device, then Harley MUST void the warranty.

So -- short answer, either they're lying to you or you just aren't understanding what they're saying, but -- I mean, you can't get a proper aftermarket Dynojet tune without voiding your warranty. You can't. Unless you use the SEPST tuner, in which case some level of tuning can be done, but I think most tuning professionals would agree that the quality of the tune you'd get probably isn't really worth doing and certainly not worth the money it would cost.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 01-31-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:51 PM
HP1
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Over here in the UK buying accessories from the US can work out very expensive by the time you add on postage and duty.
With that in mind I have a question for you:
If you had to choose between a recurve windscreen or fangs, to try to reduce helmet buffeting which would you choose?
If it's pertinent, the wind actually hits me right in the eyes.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:02 PM
Tom Thompson
Novice

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
That's not how it works.

Well, let me back up -- there are two ways it can work. 1, they use a PowerVision or TTS or Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner, and flash a new tune into your bike's computer. That's the way the vast majority of tuning is done, and the ONLY way you can do it without losing your warranty is to use the Harley SEPST tuner.

2, they can use a non-flash-based tuner. Something like a Dynojet Power Commander V. That kind of tuner doesn't flash the engine computer, so it could be potentially removed without leaving a trace. It also isn't a very good tuning device when compared to a flash tuner. I asked one of the best tuning guys in the country his opinion of using a Power Commander instead of a flash tuner, and he said he wouldn't even bother, there's no point when compared to how much you can accomplish with a flash tuner. So -- if they're using that type of tuning, then they would be conspiring to violate the terms of the EPA's Consent Decree with Harley; if you read it again you'll see where it says that Harley must tell their dealers, and their dealers must tell Harley, and if either the dealer or Harley knows of any tuning that's done with a non-EPA-approved CARB-approved tuning device, then Harley MUST void the warranty.

So -- short answer, either they're lying to you or you just aren't understanding what they're saying, but -- I mean, you can't get a proper aftermarket Dynojet tune without voiding your warranty. You can't. Unless you use the SEPST tuner, in which case some level of tuning can be done, but I think most tuning professionals would agree that the quality of the tune you'd get probably isn't really worth doing and certainly not worth the money it would cost.
Im not smart on this tuner stuff.On the printed they call it power vision tuner for 169.96. IM just buying a license. they pretty much said its not going be warranty compliant . with Harley but they will still cover me on warranty..i assume the dealer will cover it up if i haft to use my warranty..i just want to make sure they will back me if something happens

Old 01-31-2019, 05:12 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Well, that's more like it -- yes, it's absolutely going to void your Harley warranty. If you're ever on a trip and need service, you'll be screwed. So is the dealer who's insisting on voiding your warranty, willing to provide you a written dealership warranty where they guarantee repairs on your bike?

If not -- then is it really worth it to you?

You can get the Harley Stage II, which will give you 90% or more of the power of the aftermarket stuff, and to hell with their dyno tune, and spend a lot less money and be completely legal and have warranty everywhere. Or, you can use their aftermarket cam, and pay them 3 additional hours of labor for dyno tuning, and watch as they irrevocably void your warranty at every dealership in the country, and then maybe they'll provide you an in-house warranty, maybe not.

My take? They're doing this to try to sell you a more expensive tuner and to charge you three extra hours of labor. Screw those guys. They're screwing you out of your two-year warranty, all so they can pocket an extra three hours of labor. With the Harley Stage II, you'll pay for five or six hours of labor, not nine. And once your warranty is expired, you can then take the bike to Bob Lobenberg or The Dyno Difference or somewhere else like that, a top shop, and have it tuned by the best guys in the business, rather than whoever's working at that Harley dealership.

But, hey, if you want the RS468, go ahead, just understand that they are purposely charging you more, and selling you a more expensive tuner, and spending time on the dyno, and voiding your warranty. If that tradeoff is worth it to you, go ahead, just go in with your eyes wide open.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 01-31-2019 at 05:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
Dave 2 (02-09-2019), Tom Thompson (01-31-2019)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread