2018+ Softail Models Breakout

'18 Fatbob gauge condensation

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 PM
heizlod
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '18 Fatbob gauge condensation

please forgive me if I am starting a new thread for something that has already been discussed. I looked and didn't see anything.
also I never bothered to take any pictures of the issues that I was dealing with so I will try to explain it in as much detail as possible.
this is more of a curious how you dealt with the issue than I wanna bitch and complain about said issue.

first day I took my bike out after bring it home from the dealer I was about 50 miles into my ride when I noticed a small amount of condensation in the bottom of my gauge, just enough to cover about half of the lcd display. I was a little bummed that it was there but after about 3 hours of riding condensation was gone. the weather was sunny about 80 degrees. I just assumed that it evaporated off. I was happy to see that the condensation was gone. the next day went to ride her and the condensation was back. since it was such a small amount I just ignored it, flash forward a few weeks. the condensation has grown to cover the entire gauge glass, but I can still read and see everything. im a little annoyed but oh well. a few weeks later I had to leave my bike parked while I pulled an all night shift. come out the next afternoon and I can no longer read the gauge face, not the digital display, not the numbers, hell I cant even see the arrow shape for the turn signals just a glow under the glass. I call the dealership and they tell me that I just need to park it in the sun and that will fix the issue. so I do as they recommend. for an entire weekend it sits in the sun... and guess what?? nothing changed. called them back and asked if they can replace the gauge since the bike has less than 500 miles on it, they told me that they wont fix it. so senesce the dealership wont help me an being the semi mechanical guy that I am I assumed that I could just take the gauge apart, clean the glass and ill be good. so I immediately jump on YouTube and see what walk through I can find to assist me in making this seemingly easy repair. turns out... I didn't want to do the work required cause it is a little tedious and you have to be soft handed with the gauge. and since im one of those guys who prefers to use hammers to fix things I said screw it. I just dealt with it for the last few weeks and then while eating a bag of jerky I pulled out the little desiccant packet and I went hmmmmm. I wonder if this will work? so I hopped on amazon and bought a 25 pack of Silica Gel Desiccants. when I received them removed my gauge, filled the entire area that the gauge sets in with them, then slipped 2 packets up inside the back of the gauge next to the vent holes and the wire going into the gauge and put everything back together. the next day, there was no change. now I knew that it wouldn't clear it up completely but I was expecting something. 3 days after the installation of the desiccants I noticed that I could once again see my gauge readouts!! I was excited and extremely happy. its now been 2 weeks since that installation and im happy to say that there is zero condensation inside of my gauge. and that it only cost me $12 to fix the issue. I really wish i had taken before and after photos the change was amazing.
if you are dealing with the same issue this may be an easy and cheap fix. but I am curious what other people have done to fix this issue?

Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by heizlod
please forgive me if I am starting a new thread for something that has already been discussed.... 3 days after the installation of the desiccants I noticed that I could once again see my gauge readouts!! I was excited and extremely happy. its now been 2 weeks since that installation and im happy to say that there is zero condensation inside of my gauge. and that it only cost me $12 to fix the issue.
This condensation problem has been discussed MANY MANY times but I guess it is the first time in this NEW 2018+ thread.

I had suggested the use of desiccant packets over a year ago, and many have tried them with mixed results.

My speedo took about two weeks before it cleared up with the packets installed under the console the first time. They worked for almost a year when the problem started to reapear. I replaced the packets with fresh ones a month or so ago but the problem has not been fully rectified. It now shows up after riding for a little while and then seems to clear up after an hour or so. However the weather is a lot cooler and I think the heat of the engine makes the condensation appear on the cool glass of the speedo. In the warmer dryer weather, not so much.

MoCo is aware of the problem since many have tried, some sucessfully, to have the speedo replaced under warenty. However, from what I have read, the same problem occurs on the replacements. Sooooo, you joined the condensation club. Hope your disiccant packets continue to do the job.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

I am on my third speedo, wish HD would get there sh*t together on this problem. Good thing is it only takes a couple minutes to change.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:14 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Speedometer Solutions does not yet have a fix for the 2018-up units yet. I asked today. I'm still thinking about going with the Dakota Digital unit but DD states that on the FatBob the replacement gauge does not have the neutral nor turn signal indicators.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Who needs a speedometer anyways!?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Just sitting in the garage I have noticed condensation from time to time as well as when riding. The glass is now starting to get stained. Instead of just having it replaced (I know, for free under warranty) I went ahead and ordered the newly designed MLX-3000 series speedo unit from Dakota Digital. It has a lot of customizable features/color schemes all manipulated by an app on your phone. Found it a bit cheaper on Dennis Kirk's website. Snagged the last on they had.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...od/prd1162.htm

Old 01-16-2019, 04:02 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by modular
Just sitting in the garage I have noticed condensation from time to time as well as when riding. The glass is now starting to get stained. Instead of just having it replaced (I know, for free under warranty) I went ahead and ordered the newly designed MLX-3000 series speedo unit from Dakota Digital. It has a lot of customizable features/color schemes all manipulated by an app on your phone. Found it a bit cheaper on Dennis Kirk's website. Snagged the last on they had.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...od/prd1162.htm
Can you advise if the turn signal indicators and neutral lights work with this?

It appears to say on the Dakota website that they won't.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:15 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
Can you advise if the turn signal indicators and neutral lights work with this?

It appears to say on the Dakota website that they won't.
Dunno yet. It arrives today and it won't be installed any time soon. The weather has finally turned really cold and crappy.

DD states that with both versions (old and new) for the Softail FatBob.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by modular
Dunno yet. It arrives today and it won't be installed any time soon. The weather has finally turned really cold and crappy.

DD states that with both versions (old and new) for the Softail FatBob.
Well....let us know when you get it installed!

Old 02-03-2019, 01:24 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Got the Dakota Digital speedo installed today but no ride as the wheels are off getting new tires installed. It is a plug/play/program set up. None of it took long at all. I can say, at least on the Fat Bob, you do loose the neutral light and both the turn signal and high beam indicators some of which is stated on DD's website in the item description. Doesn't bother me at all.

Quick Reply: '18 Fatbob gauge condensation