2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2 up riding

Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM
W.P.
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2 up riding

Trying to decide between the Heritage & Road King. I'm well versed on both and have road both a few times.
I'm leaning toward the Heritage.
OK, here's what I'd like in-put on.
I haven't rode the Heritage with the wife on board (both of us = 350lbs) and have read that 2 upping on the heritage isn't that great. Is that true ?
Now my 2 upping is usually a few hrs. a few times a season not cross country, I'm thinking if I get the Heritage I'll mount the Viking trunk to it.
Thoughts please. Thanks !

Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

We ride 2 up on my Cherry. Similar total load.

The stock FLHC lacks passenger Foot Boards which my Lady found was needed. I had to add them.

The Stock Seat is not that Comfortable for either the rider or passenger. Had mine reworked by Mean City Cycles which made for a big improvement for both of us. Also, the addition of a set of Seat air cusion pads also helped both of us a lot. Helps elimnate swamp *** and stops either of us from sliding around in the saddle.

The mono-shock adjustment on the FLHC is under the seat and will need to be adjusted for 2 up riding. I leave mine set for 2 up as it it is very inconvienent to change so the ride is a little stiffer when I ride1 up, but this doesn't bother me.

Because I'm short, I had my Cherry lowered with the H-D lower profile suspensions buth front and back. Had them put the heavey weight oil in the front suspension which also made a big improvement in handleing, especially when 2 up. Eleiminated the front end dip when stopping.

The FLHC is only a wannabe tourer, so from what I understand, it is not quite as plush a ride as that of a true tourer. Again from what I understand, the RK is very similar as it is not really set up as a touring bike and would need a lot of extras added for 2 up riding.

For a few hour local type riding my lady and I find the Heritage to be fairly comfortable. Not sure I would want to do long extended trips however.

I bought the Heritage because I small in stature and really can not handle a much heavier bike. It is a fun and nimble bike to ride. And, it is a good looking ride.

With the mods I've made my lady is quite happy to join me.

HTH

The following 2 users liked this post by FrankEV:
duckf5 (05-17-2021), W.P. (01-18-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Rendezvous
Cruiser
Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

Post deleted. Wrong thread.

Last edited by Rendezvous; 09-20-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Road 2-up from South Africa deep into "wine country" on a loaded Heritage with a backrest. Weight-wise my wife and I were in your ballpark [maybe a little heavier]. Bike handled superb on relatively straight roads and highways. The bike was fine on the twisties at the southern point of Cape Town, but the rental outfit [Eagle Rider} dropped the ball getting the suspension dialed in. Tightening it up might have made the ride a little harsher, but certainly would have helped with lean angle and floorboard scraping. I'd rent another in a heartbeat.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

If you prefer the Heritage it will do fine. A better seat and backrest should be a priority. My 15 year old son and I did a tour for a week and were fine. As far as room and bike handling. I’m 5’6 and he’s 5’9...weight is about 330 between us. I opted for a luggage rack to expand storage over a trunk. Only advantage to the Road King is better storage and rubbermounted motor further reduces vibes on your hands. I like my Heritage vibes, but it was very noticeable difference when my swapped to my wife’s RKS for a leg of the trip.

Both great bikes and the Heritage can do it all.

The following users liked this post:
duckf5 (05-17-2021)