2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Am I Being Unreasonable?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:14 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

If you have the 114, then yes, it vibrates at an rpm above 3k. It doesnt matter what model Softail M8 it is either. If you ride and cruise at high rpm the vibes are there. When you hit the sweet spot, the RPM's are so low that it feels like your lugging the bike.

No, your not being sensitive since I have experienced that issue with ALL of the softails. Especially with the 114's. Some softails vibrate less than other but it is there, You are not crazy.

Also you are lucky to have a dealership that troubleshot that issue for you and verifying it on multiple bikes. I would definitely stick with that dealership for service work especially if they took the time to do that for you.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 03-21-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:47 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,202 Likes on 8,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Marks57
I got my 2019 Heritage last week. Monday I took it on the highway and got up to 75-80. When it reaches 2500 rpm it starts a vibration and at 3000 rpm it's very annoying and you can't see in the mirrors. I wouldn't enjoy 10 minutes of ride at 3000 rpm's with this vibration. It's the best handling Harley I've owned except for this vibration.

Yesterday I took it to the dealer and had them look at it. The service tech sat on it and rev'd it up, turned it off and started feeling around on the engine and frame. Then he took it for a ride. When he came back he did the same thing except this time he spent about 10 minutes looking and feeling around on it. Then he went over to the used bikes and started a Heritage up I guess to compare the vibration. Then he came back an repeated what he already did. THEN, he went back to the used Heritage and repeated that process again. When I approached him and asked what he thought he said they all had the vibration issue, but mine was more than most. Then, the service adviser came out and they talked, looked and felt around it for another 10 minutes. He took me over to a 3rd used Heritage and we fired it up and at around 3000 rpm's it did have a lot of vibration and distorted the mirrors. The service adviser said reluctantly that they could put it up on a lift and check it out next week or I could wait until the 1000 mile service. I got the feeling they weren't excited about looking for a non-billable "needle in a haystack" vibration.

I guess my biggest issue is the time that the tech and the service adviser looked and talked about it. I would have rather heard "You're just being hyper sensitive about it and it's just fine" or "Yeah, there's something not right".

I really do hate to be nit picking especially if I'm fretting over something that's normal, but I like to ride between 2500 - 3000 rpm's and this is bugging the crap out of me. Am I over thinking it? Would you have them break it down and look for a cause?
Did they say, "They all do that"?

Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 PM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
If you have the 114, then yes, it vibrates at an rpm above 3k. It doesnt matter what model Softail M8 it is either. If you ride and cruise at high rpm the vibes are there. When you hit the sweet spot, the RPM's are so low that it feels like your lugging the bike.

No, your not being sensitive since I have experienced that issue with ALL of the softails. Especially with the 114's. Some softails vibrate less than other but it is there, You are not crazy.

Also you are lucky to have a dealership that troubleshot that issue for you and verifying it on multiple bikes. I would definitely stick with that dealership for service work especially if they took the time to do that for you.
That's not my experience. I have an 18 Heritage 114 and it is very smooth for a solid mount motor and on mine the higher the rpm the smoother it gets. I have had numerous rubber mounted touring bikes that of course were smooth as glass, after idle. I was amazed at how smooth the motor on this Heritage is. Not to mention that the suspension is hands down superior to any touring bike I have ever had.
Just my experience.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 PM
MoBillyAla
Tourer

Received 116 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd say keep trying to isolate it. My 2019 114 is very smooth (to me, and compared to my Sportster), though I have less than 500 miles so far on it. I have about 50/50 highway/city. If I remember correctly these have the dual balancers, maybe you have something not quite right in that department? Hope you find a solution.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:04 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

I have about 1500 miles on a 2019 114" SG and it's been much smoother than my 2014 103" SG. Neither one had any unusual vibration above 2000 rpm.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 03-22-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Bike vibrations are a VERY personal thing. What one person will call horrible, hand/foot-numbing vibration, somebody else will call buttery-smooth, and vice-versa. I've many v-twins, inline-4s, singles, etc., over the years. They all feel different.

For me personally, my Sport Glide is very smooth. It feels smoother than my '15 Road King or '16 V-Rod. The vibrations that it does have, feel "better", for lack of a better term, than my Kawasaki Z900 with its inline 4.

When I test-rode Herritage 114, it was definitely not as smooth as my 107.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by polbit
Bike vibrations are a VERY personal thing. What one person will call horrible, hand/foot-numbing vibration, somebody else will call buttery-smooth, and vice-versa. I've many v-twins, inline-4s, singles, etc., over the years. They all feel different.

For me personally, my Sport Glide is very smooth. It feels smoother than my '15 Road King or '16 V-Rod. The vibrations that it does have, feel "better", for lack of a better term, than my Kawasaki Z900 with its inline 4.

When I test-rode Herritage 114, it was definitely not as smooth as my 107.
It's true no two people perceive vibration the same. My 107 Low Rider does buzz through the bars. About 2500 rpm and up. The pegs and seat are smooth as can be. It could be my arthritic worn out old machinist's hands. In any case it is not a very pleasant vibration to me. It is a low amplitude high frequency vibration due to the twin counter balancers and the fact that HD left some vibes in by design. I have tried all manner of checks and tweaks but the vibes remain. I felt it in other twin counter balanced softails too. I didn't notice as much at first, but my hands have hyper sensitised to the vibration. I'm playing with a weight in the left grip since that side is worse.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
It's true no two people perceive vibration the same. My 107 Low Rider does buzz through the bars. About 2500 rpm and up. The pegs and seat are smooth as can be. It could be my arthritic worn out old machinist's hands. In any case it is not a very pleasant vibration to me. It is a low amplitude high frequency vibration due to the twin counter balancers and the fact that HD left some vibes in by design. I have tried all manner of checks and tweaks but the vibes remain. I felt it in other twin counter balanced softails too. I didn't notice as much at first, but my hands have hyper sensitised to the vibration. I'm playing with a weight in the left grip since that side is worse.
That's actually a great example. All bikes vibrate to some extend, we all get used to at least some of it. The frequency, harmonics, etc. all play a role. I know I definitely make the problem worse by fixating on vibrations I don't like, and after chasing a fix, I end up selling the bike, usually to someone that can't believe how smooth it is. 107 Softails are my salvation in HD land!

With my V-Rod Muscle, when I switched out the exhaust, the vibrations increased dramatically for me. After playing with it, I could affect the vibrations by torquing sequence and torque values of the exhaust. It became like a big tuning fork...

Of course, this entire discussion is predicated on the fact that the bike in question does not have an abnormal vibration, which can be a PITA to diagnose, and even harder to fix.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
This one of the reasons i traded my '18 Breakout 114 in on a Low Rider S. The Dyna shakes a lot more but the frequency of the vibration on the Breakout sent my hands numb in minutes. I had the same problem with the FXDR i had on loan. For most people i doubt it would be a problem, but i have CTS in both wrists and early stages of arthritis in my hands and left shoulder.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Pretty much true, but the op said the mirrors were unusable, I would say that is not normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I Being Unreasonable?