2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Buzzing Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 02:55 PM
rlj50
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buzzing Handlebars

I recently test drove a 2019 Heritage w/ 114 ci. I noticed a buzz in the handlebars at speed and it seemed to ride on the rough side. I’ve only owned HD Ultras and they didn’t have these issues. Is this normal for this cruiser style of bike? I currently own a 2016 Ultra Limited and was thinking about trading for a more sporty motorcycle. Thanks for any replies/comments/advice.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:55 PM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2019 FLHC and no buzz in the bars, suspension is buttery smooth soaks up all the bumps, my wife loves it.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:38 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DeaD SpacE
I have a 2019 FLHC and no buzz in the bars, suspension is buttery smooth soaks up all the bumps, my wife loves it.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:40 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Ah, handlebar vibration, my favorite subject. It is beyond me how many people say they have glass smooth handlebars on their softail. I have a 107 lowrider, and have sampled quite a few bikes in the new Softail line and they all have buzzy bars. Even Harley said they left some vibes in the engine when they designed the twin balancers. There is a buzz in the bars on the new Softails, but not everyone feels or notices it.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:59 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
Ah, handlebar vibration, my favorite subject. It is beyond me how many people say they have glass smooth handlebars on their softail. I have a 107 lowrider, and have sampled quite a few bikes in the new Softail line and they all have buzzy bars. Even Harley said they left some vibes in the engine when they designed the twin balancers. There is a buzz in the bars on the new Softails, but not everyone feels or notices it.
My previous bike was a 2014 Street Glide that I traded on this Low Rider. One of the things I remembered most and thought about during the test ride, was the feel of the bike. It felt like a real Harley that I remember and I still like it, no issues. This bike has a better ride than my Street Glide had too. I could go on, about how it is faster, handles better, and doesn't have those touring bike "issues" etc. but.

The following users liked this post:
porkster (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 AM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
For comparison I traded my 13 FXDWG for the Flhc. The Wideglide would put my hands to sleep and the mirrors were worthless, the Heritage does not put my hands to sleep and
the mirrors are almost as clear as a cars. I also have carpel tunnel in my hands. Yes the new bikes have some vibration but I would not call it a Buzz, my lawnmower has buzz and so did my Wideglide.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DeaD SpacE
For comparison I traded my 13 FXDWG for the Flhc. The Wideglide would put my hands to sleep and the mirrors were worthless, the Heritage does not put my hands to sleep and
the mirrors are almost as clear as a cars. I also have carpel tunnel in my hands. Yes the new bikes have some vibration but I would not call it a Buzz, my lawnmower has buzz and so did my Wideglide.
I note what you are saying. I have a 1951 Pan, I've owned it for thirty years, the point many people are not noticing is that the type of vibration coming through the bars on the twin counter balance M8 is different than all previous Harley's. Let's forget semantics and not use the word buzzy. Instead let's say the new bikes have a high frequency low amplitude vibe. The previous bikes had just the opposite. I have smooth mirrors, but the high frequency puts my hands to sleep immediately. I didn't notice it so much at first on a few test rides.

The following users liked this post:
DeaD SpacE (05-27-2019)