Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Reilly
2017 Ultra Classic w/ M8: Stage II Boom upgrade Question. Replacing/upgrading both the fairing and the tour pack speakers and also adding the two amps. All HD kit. I believe that I still have to flash the system.

My question is... can I flash system myself? How? ... or is this best left for the dealer?
An answer then a question. Only the dealer can do flashes and do you already have the boom stuff?
Because for the money you can get much, much, much better sound. More importantly, much more reliable audio components that will actually have a resale value. That boom stuff is so bad they won't even take returns on it. The failure rate is abysmal.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

2017 Ultra Classic w/ M8: Stage II Boom upgrade Question. Replacing/upgrading both the fairing and the tour pack speakers and also adding the two amps. All HD kit. I believe that I still have to flash the system.

My question is... can I flash system myself? How? ... or is this best left for the dealer?
I can't tell from your question if you have installed the stage II kit, or planning on installing the stage II kit?

Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Reilly
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are planning on installing the Stage II kit on my buddy's Ultra. It already has the four stock speakers and the Boom 4.3 screen. There are two speakers in the fairing and two in the tour pack. He has already purchased everything from HD, it will arrive this week. I have experience on upgrading to Stage II fairing speakers and added the amp on my 2015 FLHXS and I rode it to the dealer so they could flash it. The instructions clearly say that you will blow the speakers if the system is not flashed.

My question is strictly about flashing the system after the install so we don't blow the speakers. From what I have found it must be done at the dealer. However, he has a brand new 2017 and the Service Manager mentioned that he thought he would not have to bring it in to get it flashed and that somehow we could do it.

I still believe he should not turn the system on and that he should bring it to the dealer so they can flash it so it recognizes that it now has two 300 watt amps instead of stock power.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

We are planning on installing the Stage II kit on my buddy's Ultra. It already has the four stock speakers and the Boom 4.3 screen. There are two speakers in the fairing and two in the tour pack. He has already purchased everything from HD, it will arrive this week. I have experience on upgrading to Stage II fairing speakers and added the amp on my 2015 FLHXS and I rode it to the dealer so they could flash it. The instructions clearly say that you will blow the speakers if the system is not flashed.

My question is strictly about flashing the system after the install so we don't blow the speakers. From what I have found it must be done at the dealer. However, he has a brand new 2017 and the Service Manager mentioned that he thought he would not have to bring it in to get it flashed and that somehow we could do it.

I still believe he should not turn the system on and that he should bring it to the dealer so they can flash it so it recognizes that it now has two 300 watt amps instead of stock power.
It sounds like the Service Manager isn't sure. I agree with you. Bring it to the dealer and have a Tech that is familiar with the Boom II systems take a look at it.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Mrnyc01
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagram

Hi New the forum...

I have a quick ?

I have 3 reg speakers... 1 4x6 and 2 5x7 and 1 sub. Do I need a 4 channel amp? The only thing got me confused is the bridging part. What I really want to do is play all four through 1 amp with good power going the sub. Please show a diagram of how this should be wired. Any help with be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2017, 05:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrnyc01
Hi New the forum...

I have a quick ?

I have 3 reg speakers... 1 4x6 and 2 5x7 and 1 sub. Do I need a 4 channel amp? The only thing got me confused is the bridging part. What I really want to do is play all four through 1 amp with good power going the sub. Please show a diagram of how this should be wired. Any help with be appreciated.

Thanks
you are joking right? If not, then I highly suggest you take your bike down to your local audio shop for the assistance that you need.

The following users liked this post:
Ultar Rich (10-08-2020)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 PM
darkwing96
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '14 SG and looking to upgrade my stock system. Looking at the RF PBR300x2, because it seems to be a popular choice on this forum, plus I'm also on a budget. What I really need to know is, what is a good quality brand of speakers to buy, without having to modify my stock pods. Do I need 2 or 4 ohms, and exactly how to wire them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 PM
HD2FLY
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Thank you

This old fart learned something tonight, I have been scratching my bald head for weeks trying to figure out how to upgrade my 16 RG Audio, this bit of education helps . Thanks, Vann

Old 07-02-2017, 06:37 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Who to go to for Newbie Audio Questions

Below is an excerpt of a post from Gannicus:
"....Here are some guys to ask in no specific order.

1. Alex Haze alex@ baggeraudiolab.com
2. Slyedog
2. Tailwind
3. SBates08
4. CPbedor
5. AAWAV
6. Tesnevo
7. Matt76mich
8. Roadie
9. CVOJOE
10. grumble

These are just few. But I guarantee there's not a question you have about audio on a bike that one these guys can't answer. Guaranteed."

You can add Gannicus to that list and you WILL get the best sled audio advice there is!

The following 2 users liked this post by MMXIWG:
HD2FLY (07-02-2017), sbeamer (04-14-2018)
Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

good info regarding ohms and matching speakers to source (HU/amp)

what about watts?
example: two 4 ohm speakers in parallel connected to 2 ohm channel, channel output is 150 watts @ 2 ohms. how many watts do each speaker get? 150 or 75

Quick Reply: Audio System FAQ's