Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom Audio windshield speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 PM
johnson27
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boom Audio windshield speaker replacement

I know, Boom audio windshield speakers aren't the best option for Road King audio, but, its what I have and its pretty convenient. Just finished a 1000+ mile trip, and, I just think the little 3.5" speakers could be 'tired'. Has anyone taken apart the windshield system and replaced the stock 3.5's?
I'm planning on switching to POLK AUDIO DB351's. Assuming they fit or I can make them fit, anyone have experience with these speakers? Or, better yet, swap out the speakers and have advice? The speaker has pretty good reviews.
Thanks, here is the set up I have mounted on the windshield

Old 08-29-2015, 12:49 PM
pp6000v2
Cruiser

"There's no replacement for displacement."

3.5" speakers are limited by their small size. Upgrading the internal speakers may be possible- it's all going to hinge on the specs of the amplifier in the system. I don't know of any rated specs for the unit's amplification, but I don't expect it to be mind-blowing.

The Polks are 4-ohm speakers rated for 35W RMS power, while the Boom speakers may be 1,2,4, or even 8-ohm depending on what Harley designed the system around. Check the existing speakers for impedance before you buy anything. Assuming the speakers are an impedance match, what is the RMS power output of the internal amplifier? The Polks are rated at 105W Max, but again are only 35W RMS. Is the internal amp putting out more or less power?

More than likely, your best case scenario is going to be slightly cleaner sound, but not much more of it.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by pp6000v2
"There's no replacement for displacement."

3.5" speakers are limited by their small size. Upgrading the internal speakers may be possible- it's all going to hinge on the specs of the amplifier in the system. I don't know of any rated specs for the unit's amplification, but I don't expect it to be mind-blowing.

The Polks are 4-ohm speakers rated for 35W RMS power, while the Boom speakers may be 1,2,4, or even 8-ohm depending on what Harley designed the system around. Check the existing speakers for impedance before you buy anything. Assuming the speakers are an impedance match, what is the RMS power output of the internal amplifier? The Polks are rated at 105W Max, but again are only 35W RMS. Is the internal amp putting out more or less power?

More than likely, your best case scenario is going to be slightly cleaner sound, but not much more of it.
+1 agreed. Dead center fairings are nice on the road kings. Two speaker system with the 6.5 infinity's would be a night and day difference.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:17 AM
johnson27
Advanced
Default Thanks for your help guys

The amp with the system is advertised at 40W.
I might take the speaker enclosure apart and see if I can find any more info on the speakers. I don't necessarily need it louder, but a cleaner sound would be great.
I am looking at fairings, but, given the cost, I will most likely just hold out for a trade up to a Road Glide in a couple years.
Thanks

Old 03-04-2016, 03:41 PM
PaddyH3GM
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any luck?

Any luck with this? I'm thinking the same thing. Need better sound as the bike gets up to speed.

Originally Posted by johnson27
The amp with the system is advertised at 40W.
I might take the speaker enclosure apart and see if I can find any more info on the speakers. I don't necessarily need it louder, but a cleaner sound would be great.
I am looking at fairings, but, given the cost, I will most likely just hold out for a trade up to a Road Glide in a couple years.
Thanks

Old 03-04-2016, 03:45 PM
johnson27
Advanced

No, haven't messed with it yet. Should do it this weekend if it warms up.
it was 8 degrees this morning, forecast says 60 on Tuesday. Love Winter, NOT