Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Ragz Ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amp install

Haze, Gannicus or anyone that may know.
I'm about to install a Memphis Audio 16 SA4.50 just wondering if anyone has any kind of baseline recommended settings for the frequency and or level settings to use as a starting point

Old 11-19-2015, 12:25 PM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

what speakers and headunit are you running?

Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Ragz Ultra
Cruiser

15 Ultra with 6.5 hu, Memphis MClass components and hertz dcx 170. speakers.

it's not an amp on here you see alot of so was just checking as out of the box both settings for all channels were turned to max

Old 11-19-2015, 01:21 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Ragz I'm not familiar with that amp but looking at the specs on it along with the speakers you listed, your amp is way too small. There is no headroom left at all if you run this amp with those speakers. In other words, the amp will have to run at max power all the time to power these speakers and its life will be a short one. This of course is just my opinion.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 11-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Ragz I'm not familiar with that amp but looking at the specs on it along with the speakers you listed, your amp is way too small. There is no headroom left at all if you run this amp with those speakers. In other words, the amp will have to run at max power all the time to power these speakers and its life will be a short one. This of course is just my opinion.

Totally agree with Mr. Bates Ragz! Only way you are going to get what you are looking for with that amp is bridge it to one set of 4 ohm speakers. That said. The fact that the gain settings were turned all the way up further illustrates the point Bates made. Whomever owned the amp was trying to get more power out of it by maxing out the gains which is absolutely the wrong thing to do. But I understand their reasoning behind it.

That amp simply does not have enough power for our motorcycles. You could possibly get away with running 2 sets of Kappa's and it might sound decent in the garage. But once you hit the open highway you'll be an unhappy camper. The Memphis components are decent speakers but that model Hertz speakers are very weak. Not trying to bash your set up bro but you won't be happy with that set up.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:38 PM
09baggerdude
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default car audio

I had that amp and components in my truck. They were awesome! However, as stated above, the amp is only 50 X4 iIRC. Not enough power for our bikes.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Ragz Ultra
Cruiser

Amp is factory new. Checked some others and they were all like that. Apparently they test at those settings then box them up. I've had several long chats with the dealer here and he swears this is the way to go. He's installed a few of these recently including a can am Spyker that is very loud and clean.

I'm going to give it a try and I know if I'm not happy he will help me make it right. I'm not really looking for huge gains as I'm pretty happy without an amp.

Just curious but what are your thoughts on either the NVX MPVA 4 or the cyclesounds premium amp?

Old 11-19-2015, 06:35 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragz Ultra
Just curious but what are your thoughts on either the NVX MPVA 4 or the cyclesounds premium amp?
In the sticky where AAWAV tested some amps that what was one of them. Believe his review, and bench test, resulted in the RZ4-2000D being a better amp.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:38 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

My thinking is this...for what your spending on that amp alone you could do way better for way less.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragz Ultra
Amp is factory new. Checked some others and they were all like that. Apparently they test at those settings then box them up. I've had several long chats with the dealer here and he swears this is the way to go. He's installed a few of these recently including a can am Spyker that is very loud and clean.

I'm going to give it a try and I know if I'm not happy he will help me make it right. I'm not really looking for huge gains as I'm pretty happy without an amp.

The cycle sounds amp is a re-badged NVX. Same amp for more money. Let us know how it shakes out Ragz!

Note* One tip on the gains. You always want to set your gains low as possible to get good sound. The stronger the signal on your HU and the higher the sensitivity on your speakers the lower you can set the gains. High gains more often than not cause distortion.

Last edited by Gannicus; 11-19-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Amp install