Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit and speakers..... overlapping question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 AM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Head unit and speakers..... overlapping question

So, I'm waiting to install my new BT 4180.14 Amp kit and Biketronics 7.1 speakers(swapping out my HATS 6.5s). I was wondering at some point, would it be worth it to ditch the GPS on my Rushmore Street Glide to get a better head unit installed? If so, what do you recommend. It rains where I'm from. Also, are there any units out there where I can get GPS as well?

Taking into consideration that I will be using the BT Line levelers for front and Rear channels. Can I expect the sound quality to be that much better from my setup with an aftermarket radio?

Also, I know the saying about buying the best equipment your money can afford right out the box and i typically agree. However, I look at choices in speakers just like I look at choices in wine; subjectively. The most expensive speakers may not fulfill your ears desires for the genre of music you favor and that 7 dollar bottle of table wine might be EVERYTHING vs that 200 bottle of Barolo left to breath for a hour or two....

So, I purchased the 7.1 Titans, which is what BT kindly explained to me as their design based off the HATS Legatia series and built by HATS. I understand that the 7.1 Pro is an actual Legatia tier speaker by HATS. Should I have gone for the Pro's right off the back? is the sound difference that significant taking into consideration that I'm using the Stock Rushmore head unit?

This forum has become my Bike's audio bible and I'm eager to here you guys take on this... Thanks in advance folks!

Just so you guys know that I've been paying attention, let me add that I considered the Arc moto 602s, which are less expensive than the 7.1 Pros as a replacement for my Hats 6.5s up front, but because I would be running them in parallel off my BT4180 front channel with a set of Focal 165 KRCs, I didn't feel that I would be doing the 602s any justice at only 120 watts a piece RMS.

Last edited by Vision; 01-26-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 465 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Vision
So, I'm waiting to install my new BT 4180.14 Amp kit and Biketronics 7.1 speakers(swapping out my HATS 6.5s). I was wondering at some point, would it be worth it to ditch the GPS on my Rushmore Street Glide to get a better head unit installed? If so, what do you recommend. It rains where I'm from. Also, are there any units out there where I can get GPS as well?
Ok here's the scoop... there are currently zero double din options for a head unit that are waterproof. I know of one company that is supposed to release something by the end of the year but that's a long way off.

The Aquatic units don't work with Rushmore bikes, Rushmore have digital handlebar controls and are not compatible (I emailed Aquatic last week).

There are a few other single din or custom marine options but some don't let you have handlebar controls.

You can do a BT single din kit with a popup screen for GPS but you'll have to put it away when it rains.

What I was thinking of doing is using a BT kit with a single din (probably a Kenwood 998) and then using an Iron Aces mount and use my phone for GPS. Phone is easy to waterproof with a case and you can run the stereo with the waterproof cover on it.

Taking into consideration that I will be using the BT Line levelers for front and Rear channels. Can I expect the sound quality to be that much better from my setup with an aftermarket radio?!
You don't need LL's for an aftermarket head unit. The LL's are in play to help with the EQ curve that the moco has in place in the Rushmore head units.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I rode with a guy this past weekend that had the stock rushmore HU, with three JL Amps, six 6.5 speakers, two 10's, two horns and his bike sounded fantastic.

it can be done with the stock HU.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bunker
Ok here's the scoop... there are currently zero double din options for a head unit that are waterproof. I know of one company that is supposed to release something by the end of the year but that's a long way off.

The Aquatic units don't work with Rushmore bikes, Rushmore have digital handlebar controls and are not compatible (I emailed Aquatic last week).

There are a few other single din or custom marine options but some don't let you have handlebar controls.

You can do a BT single din kit with a popup screen for GPS but you'll have to put it away when it rains.

What I was thinking of doing is using a BT kit with a single din (probably a Kenwood 998) and then using an Iron Aces mount and use my phone for GPS. Phone is easy to waterproof with a case and you can run the stereo with the waterproof cover on it.

Thanks Bro! You saved me from asking a bunch of questions!

You don't need LL's for an aftermarket head unit. The LL's are in play to help with the EQ curve that the moco has in place in the Rushmore head units.
Right! I was questioning whether or not the sound of using an aftermarket head unit where you don't need the LL's vs the Rushmore head unit where you do need them is really that much better

Originally Posted by haze324
I rode with a guy this past weekend that had the stock rushmore HU, with three JL Amps, six 6.5 speakers, two 10's, two horns and his bike sounded fantastic.

it can be done with the stock HU.
Jesus Christmas! I would imagine so with all of that! That system must sound sick! I'm trying to save as much bag space as I can. Love being out on the road. No parking lot pimping for me. lol.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:53 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 465 Likes on 306 Posts

Right! I was questioning whether or not the sound of using an aftermarket head unit where you don't need the LL's vs the Rushmore head unit where you do need them is really that much better
ahhh! well the answer is yes, an aftermarket head unit makes a big difference. Having said that, and as haze says, you can have GREAT results with the stock unit. You just have to invest a little more to make it on par.

I was considering swapping out the 6.5 Infotainment but have reconsidered. The GPS isn't that bad, I like having all the handlebar integration (and info screen) and the fact that I won't take a huge hit if I ever sell the bike is enough to warrant keeping it.

I'm building my setup to include the stocker because it makes sense for me

Old 01-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bunker
ahhh! well the answer is yes, an aftermarket head unit makes a big difference. Having said that, and as haze says, you can have GREAT results with the stock unit. You just have to invest a little more to make it on par.

I was considering swapping out the 6.5 Infotainment but have reconsidered. The GPS isn't that bad, I like having all the handlebar integration (and info screen) and the fact that I won't take a huge hit if I ever sell the bike is enough to warrant keeping it.

I'm building my setup to include the stocker because it makes sense for me
I'm with you 100% on the value of the bike... Thanks man!