Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Amp install question

If the man in brown arrives today with my amp mounting bracket I'll be installing my CV B24 and MM652 speakers tonight.

I made a power harness from 10ga wire and an in line blade fuse holder, with marine crimped ring terminals on the battery side.

My question is what to do with the amp side. The B52 has what I imagine are "typical" set screw power inputs. So do you just strip, twist and insert the cables? Or is tinning them a good idea? I think I saw someone mention using banana connectors? Lastly, any loctite on the set screws?

I'm thinking straight cable probably makes the best contact, but since its effectively "outside" I am worried about oxidation.

Thanks

Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Covert Olds
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts

My amp has the set screw type connections and l stripped the insulation from the wires and l then "tinned" the bare wire with solder before installing them into the socket where the set screws holds them.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:55 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Covert Olds
My amp has the set screw type connections and l stripped the insulation from the wires and l then "tinned" the bare wire with solder before installing them into the socket where the set screws holds them.
same here, i also added a drop of blue loctite to set screw and filled terminal with electrical grease before inserting cables,

Old 08-03-2017, 11:09 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
same here, i also added a drop of blue loctite to set screw and filled terminal with electrical grease before inserting cables,
Slide a piece of heat shrink tube on the wires before you slide them into the terminals. Then after you tighten them down, slide the heat shrink up as good as you can to cover any and all exposed wire, heat it up and you will have one more layer of insurance. I personally, like the banana plug type cause the actual connector provides the insulation and good solid terminal to tighten the set screw to. My 02
Kris

Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Ok cool. I was planning on the loctite and the DE grease.

Thanks all

Old 08-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Got everything together, going to start as soon as the amp bracket arrives and I mod it for the CV amp. Should be pretty quick. I expect running the power will take as long as the amp/speakers. Hopefully I can report back later.

remote trigger harness

Amp and BT355

Power cable. Had some mesh left over from another project. Used a spade fuse holder I soldered and heat shrinked.

And the speakers

Wish me luck!

Last edited by Mchad; 08-03-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

looks like you got a pretty good handle on this project... and yes...waiting for the little brown truckbto arrive sucks

Old 08-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

You could always run the power and ground and get the tank and seat back on before the li'l truck gets there. You would be one step closer to being done.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Mchad
Club Member

It arrived! Got the amp mounted to it, much simpler then I anticipated. It came with a big pad of adhesive Velcro for between the amp and the bracket, which I used in favor of the 3M VHB tape I was prepared to, at least the Velcro will come off easier. But so not too easy, I also looped a few zip ties for good measure.

As soon as I'm done with work (company has great WFH benefits) I'll head down and get started. Looking forward to it!

Bracket, with alcohol wipe drying..

Amp velcroed down

Zip ties to finish it off.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Started the install at 440pm and was finished at 715.

Tank off, battery cable run, no problem. Took the opportunity to run my Power Vision cable up the channel as well, and cleaned up the Love Jugs fan power as well. Tank back on. Torqued everything back up. Moved on to the fairing.

Fairing off. Headlight off. I guess the hogtunes amp they show in their video is slimmer then the B52, cause there was no way it was fitting. I had to pull it off the bracket, install the bracket and then coax it in position. Thank God for the patch of Velcro they provided, cause if I used the 3M VHB tape i planned on, it wouldn't have been a good day.

Got everything installed, even reused the grommets around the speaker wires, by making a single cut and peeling them off the factory speaker cable. Switched accessory power on and - there was "Pigs" (a little Pink Floyd always brightens my day).

So I tidy'd everything up with some zip ties and put everything back together.

I realized I forgot the hogtunes grilles up in my apartment, so I cleaned up and headed upstairs. I actually thought I managed to complete a job without forgetting something and having to climb up to the 12th floor, but at the end, it wasn't to be. And by climb I mean take an elevator... At least it was only one time.

Anyway I drank about a gallon of Gatorade because the parking garage was about 972 degrees of unmoving air, and I was sweating my ***** off the entire time. Changed my shirt and went back down. Popped on the grilles and started her up. (Remember to reconnect the fuel supply line, or the bike no start...) I had every intention of going for a ride, but when I opened the garage door and voila! rain.

So i listened to some tunes in the horrible acoustics of a 60 car underground concrete parking garage, and came home.

All in all, its an enormous improvement over the factory garbage. I ballparked the sensitivity and I think its fine. I have to ride a bit and listen before I make a final call on that.

So, here it is: I know you're thinking "where are the photos?" Well, it was so damn hot down there, I'm basically an idiot and didn't take any because I just wanted to get it done. Besides, you all know what this stuff looks like anyway.

Summery:

Parts used
Cerwin Vega B52 amp
BikeTronoics BT355 Line level converter
Polk MM652 speakers
Hogtunes Amp bracket
6' 10 gauge power cable
generic speaker cable
monoprice premium interconnects

Observation:

A lot louder. A lot cleaner at high volume. A lot more detail and clarity. Don't know how else to describe it after only 5 min or so of listening, so I'll reserve my final report for when I have had saddle time.

Thanks to everyone who contributed valuable suggestions for this project. Much appreciated. Couldn't have done it without you!

Quick Reply: Amp install question