Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infinity Kappa Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Mototech
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Kappa Power

So I've been running Kappas with a CV B52 in my 2015 Road Glide Special for about a month now. I blew a speaker on Sunday at moderate volume. When I originally installed the amp I had it set at all pass with 20VAC at the speaker wires. The bass on the head unit would have to be turned all the way down to get any volume. I switched to high pass, re-set gains and adjusted crossover until I had no distortion at higher volume with bass in the middle on the head unit. I read to cross at 80 but the dial isn't marked. Is there any way to read crossover frequency? Is 200 watts too much for these speakers? Thanks

Old 09-12-2017, 06:36 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Are you running a biketronics line leveler??

Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Mototech
6th Gear

Yes Biketronics line leveler installed

Old 09-12-2017, 10:38 PM
Mototech
6th Gear

Replacement speakers should be here Thursday. Any suggestions before I install them?

Old 09-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Math is just a little bit off bro! That amp at 2 ohms is actually 250 watts per channel. I've had the Kappa's and they will take 200 watts all day long but 250 might be a bit much. But if you keep the gains down. You should be okay. I know plenty of guys running that same set up with no issues. Could just be a defective speaker. I've seen plenty of that with the Kappa's! The best way to tune with that amp is by ear. Turn your volume on your HU up to 3/4 volume with the gains at 0. All EQ on the HU flat. Slowly turn the gains up until you hear distortion and back off a hair when you hear it. 3/4 volume will be your set point. Never go too much past that volume while riding. If you have AVC. Turn it off.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Mototech
6th Gear

I started with 20VAC as a baseline going off of the chart in the sticky at the top of the page. After listening and adjusting I checked voltage again and was back at 20VAC. The sound quality and volume is there. If that's too many watts what would a baseline voltage be to start at?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mototech
I started with 20VAC as a baseline going off of the chart in the sticky at the top of the page. After listening and adjusting I checked voltage again and was back at 20VAC. The sound quality and volume is there. If that's too many watts what would a baseline voltage be to start at?
That's a good baseline. All I'm saying is use your ears to get the sound you want at the volume you want. If you ever notice. Music sounds different at different volumes. Sometimes you can hear every note at low volume and it sounds dam good. Turn the thing up and it doesn't sound as good. I always tune my bike at the volume I'm going to listen to the most. You system is NOT going to sound good on every song at all volumes due to the way it's recorded in the studio. Tune it to some of your favorite songs and keep it there.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Mototech
6th Gear

So I replaced the "blown" left speaker Saturday morning before leaving on a weekend trip. Everything sounded good until about an hour in the right speaker cuts out. Seemed to cut in and out intermittently-sometimes over bumps, sometimes on throttle, sometimes cruising on a smooth road. Drove me nuts for 375 miles. Got home Sunday after a 275 mile day and pulled the nose and started wiggling wires. Hit the RCA's and both speakers started cutting out. Pulled them and checked continuity and sure enough they both would lose continuity but in different spots. Changed RCA and rode another 100 miles on Chicago streets and no issuses. Should've checked connections first. You know what they say about assumptions.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mototech
So I replaced the "blown" left speaker Saturday morning before leaving on a weekend trip. Everything sounded good until about an hour in the right speaker cuts out. Seemed to cut in and out intermittently-sometimes over bumps, sometimes on throttle, sometimes cruising on a smooth road. Drove me nuts for 375 miles. Got home Sunday after a 275 mile day and pulled the nose and started wiggling wires. Hit the RCA's and both speakers started cutting out. Pulled them and checked continuity and sure enough they both would lose continuity but in different spots. Changed RCA and rode another 100 miles on Chicago streets and no issuses. Should've checked connections first. You know what they say about assumptions.
Yep! Those RCA's are tricky little rascals! lol!