Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pops and briefly cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts
Default Pops and briefly cuts out

Ok guys I am at my wit's end here. This may be long so bear with me.
i have a 17 Limited with factory Rushmore radio.
A few months ago I bought a Ss1000d amp used from the forums to start a budget system. The amp also came with a set of used PRV 200s.
I bought the bt355 LL new and a set of Kappas 62.11new and I was off to the races I thought.
I did the initial install using the pods since I was on a budget. I set gains with a meter volume at 3/4 bass treble flat.
The system would cut out for a second or so when the volume was at about 9.
I thought at first maybe since the amp was used it could be the culprit. I bought a brand new Power Acoustic MA3000d marine amp which is the same a m p as the SS1000d in marine trim.
Same thing happened with the new amp. I called Bikeronics thinking it could possibly be the LL. They told me if a LL is defective it would not cut in and out, it would just cut out. They mentioned it sounded like a defective speaker. When I was installing the Kappas I was trying to aim the tweeters and the tower came off instead of the tweeters rotating. It made since that maybe I trashed the brand new Kappas.
So I called Alex and ordered a set of AW6.5s with the AT28 tweets and BT brackets to eliminate the pods. I just finished the install and I'll be damned it still cuts out but now at about 6 clicks on the volume.
I pulled all the RCAs and splitters to run just the front channel and it still clips. What am I missing? I have all brand new components wires etc and something is not right. What am I overlooking? It's not a budget build anymore. Help

Old 09-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

The protection light does not come on when it shuts off/ clips. It does it imediatly before amp heats up

Old 09-16-2017, 04:37 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

1. is battery charged
2. did you take a DMM and 0db test tone and measure your gains
3. Make sure no cable is touching anywhere. Try this one speaker side at a time. It could be as simple as the gains are just too high

Old 09-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

That happened to me one year after initial install. I had bad connects to amp. Initial power was too short and I believe stressed and cause most of wire strands to break. I tried to solder solid, but wires broke off. I have a PA RZ4 2000D and it happened in the block. Maybe check that area?

Old 09-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
1. is battery charged
2. did you take a DMM and 0db test tone and measure your gains
3. Make sure no cable is touching anywhere. Try this one speaker side at a time. It could be as simple as the gains are just too high
Battery is fully charged. It does it with engine off or running

Yes on 0db test tones with DAMM. Although I have tried adjusting gains like you said so now I will have to reset once I figure this out.
It would cut out at about 6 clicks before I messed with gains. If I back the gain down it takes more volume clicks to replicate it. If I turn gain up it does it at lower volume clicks. It seems to follow.

There are no cables left to touch anything. I did what you said and unhooked everything and if I use one speaker it will follow what I do. The only thing I have not done was pull the tank and Chase the power and ground.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

I am running Stinger 8ga OFC power and ground with stinger fuse holder. I had plenty and did not stress it that I know of. I guess I will pull the tank

Old 09-16-2017, 09:12 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

I replaced the power and ground and it still pops and cuts out. I have changed out the amp and it still pops and cuts out. I have changed out the speakers and it still pops and cuts out. The only things left is the LL and the factory hu. Bikeronics is confident it's not the line leveler because they said it just would not work at all. I'm stumped,

Old 09-17-2017, 04:32 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
I replaced the power and ground and it still pops and cuts out. I have changed out the amp and it still pops and cuts out. I have changed out the speakers and it still pops and cuts out. The only things left is the LL and the factory hu. Bikeronics is confident it's not the line leveler because they said it just would not work at all. I'm stumped,
So does it cut out on high volume, Low volume or both?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:21 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
So does it cut out on high volume, Low volume or both?
If the gain is set high ( where it should be with the meter) it cuts out low on the volume. If I lower the gains it cuts out higher on the volume.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:41 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

something is off between the radio and the amp.

1. Try a factory recabillartion of the radio. It's crazy how that fixes the oddest things
2. Try the speakers direct to the radio, if no cut out then it's something beyond the radio ---- LL, amp, wiring, etc.

Quick Reply: Pops and briefly cuts out