Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TP pod mounting and wiring

Old 10-18-2017, 09:18 PM
BobFLHT2002
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default TP pod mounting and wiring

I started with a 2002 electra glide standard. A bare tour pak was added by a previous owner. I've added all the lights from an ultra and I'm about to add the eglidegoodies speaker pods.

The directions leave a little to be desired. Should my speaker wires go into the tour pak and then into the back of the pods? I'm guessing though the smaller holes.

I only have one hole in the front of my tour pak right now which is where the wires for the lights went through. Should I just run the speaker wires through there or do ultra tour paks have another hole on the right side? Does it matter?

Will the speakers mount solidly to the pods? What the heck are these for?

The directions for mounting the pods say to put the template on the tour pak and drill the holes but i'm thinking it would make more sense to drill the holes in the pods first and hold them up to the tour pak to make the holes to be sure they are in the right place. Any tips on getting everything lined up?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

adenton has added the eglide pods to his TP. He will be on later tonight or in the morning. He's currently at the Blues game. He can lend a hand

Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

To be perfectly honest, my eglide pods went in the trash about two days after the install. Hopefully you have a better experience than I did. My recommendation would be if you haven't cut the vinyl yet, to cut your losses and look up June's upholstery for their pods and return the eglide pods for a refund minus whatever ignorant restocking fee they'll charge.

With that being said, I didn't use the directions. I lined the pods up by eye and drilled one hole and threw a bolt through it. Once I was satisfied it was straight I drilled the others including an extra one for speaker wires. I ran speaker wires into the tour pack through another hole that I drilled near the lighting hole.

The following users liked this post:
BobFLHT2002 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior

There’s actually a set of stock pods on the classified section right now, or as of last night there way.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 AM
BobFLHT2002
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Adenton528
To be perfectly honest, my eglide pods went in the trash about two days after the install. Hopefully you have a better experience than I did. My recommendation would be if you haven't cut the vinyl yet, to cut your losses and look up June's upholstery for their pods and return the eglide pods for a refund minus whatever ignorant restocking fee they'll charge.

With that being said, I didn't use the directions. I lined the pods up by eye and drilled one hole and threw a bolt through it. Once I was satisfied it was straight I drilled the others including an extra one for speaker wires. I ran speaker wires into the tour pack through another hole that I drilled near the lighting hole.
June's would have been my 1st choice but they haven't had any available for months. I was nervous about buying OEM, hogtunes, and Matuzu because I wanted to make sure I could fit my 6.5" speakers. For $230 I'll try to make them work.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BobFLHT2002
June's would have been my 1st choice but they haven't had any available for months. I was nervous about buying OEM, hogtunes, and Matuzu because I wanted to make sure I could fit my 6.5" speakers. For $230 I'll try to make them work.
good luck. What speakers are you putting in there? All the speakers I tried were too deep. I had to modify the fiberglass and needless to say, I was very unimpressed and trashed them.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:11 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

i run the stock pods on my 2004.same same. in the pods i have the polk mm652's,,they only required a little massaging with a heat gun to gain a little room then the dropped right in,,,,the 6.5 diameter is ok, you just have to be carefull of the mounting depth of the speaker, or be prepared to use a 1/2 inch spacer adapter,,,,if your passenger is a little larger, that might be an issue, if they are smaller or you only ride solo, you will be good. i used the polks based on the fact that they are marine rated and another member here, Gannicus recomended them. I am not unhappy, but i also have an amp running them. I think they are a good all around choice for a budget minded system without using specialized pods.
just my 2 bits.
marco

Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 AM
BobFLHT2002
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Adenton528
good luck. What speakers are you putting in there? All the speakers I tried were too deep. I had to modify the fiberglass and needless to say, I was very unimpressed and trashed them.
You nailed it. I love spending my money on stuff that doesn't work. Here is a 6.5" rockford fosgate speaker not fitting into the 6.5" eglidegoodies speaker pods.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain

Wait until you call them and bitch and they say "you cut the vinyl, sorry about your luck"

Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior

E-Glide Goodies is really making a name for themselves. Crappy, falsely advertised product and even crappier customer service! Pass it on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TP pod mounting and wiring