Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo upgrade help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:32 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade help please

This is for my wife for Xmas.

She rides a 16 SGS, looking to give her a little boost in the audio department. First of all I have looked through some of the posts in here a get lost pretty fast with all of the “stereo lingo”, so forgive me if I don’t understand any advice I get at first.

I have looked at the Rockford Fosgate kit (HD 14 TKIT) that comes complete but don’t see a lot of talk about it on here, I’m not to interested in piecing a system together and I don’t need a system that needs to be heard in the next county, at some point in time we might want to expand the system to saddle bag lid speakers so I think I would like that option to be open. I’m not interested in a system that would adversely affect any of the infotainment system features, I see some threads on flashing the system to recognize 4 speakers on a SGS, I get that part, then also see talk of flashes to set the infotainment system to recognize added components, at least that’s the way I understand it, (please forgive any ignorance here).

I’m sure this my all seem open ended to all of the stereo buffs here but I don’t know what I don’t know!

Budget, I think a grand is plenty to spend, maybe not even necessarily that much, idk! I’m not interested in using any saddlebag room for amps, we usually pack up for 3 weekly trips a year and need all of our storage room on the bikes.

Thank you upfront for any input, like I said, not looking for anything to complicated.

Most of her music comes from her iPhone through the USB port if it matters.

Thanks again!

Old 11-25-2017, 08:01 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

You have a ton of options for a 2 speaker system with that budget. If there's even a remote chance that you'll add speaker lids later, get a 4 channel amp that will support that now.

Don't be concerned with "piecing" a system together. A few years ago that meant splicing into the factory harness and cutting wires that would have to be replaced later. Not anymore. There are plenty of outfits that make factory connectors that will allow you to tie into existing connections with no cutting or splicing and can be easily removed later to return the bike to stock. Even if you buy a "kit", you will have to remove the tank to run power/ground back to the battery and then connect the amp to the speakers. The only difference between that and piecing a system together is it may come in a few different boxes.

The following users liked this post:
jdw1 (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

If I was in your shoes I would consider a Biketronics system. Great quality with a lifetime guaranty and a complete plug-n-play system that is plenty loud and sounds great. Give them a call and they will hook you up. Be sure to let them know you may consider adding lids later. They also offer a forum discount so be sure to mention that, and they often have sales. So it may be a good time to call.

jdw1 (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 11:21 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

JDW1 ,,,,,

To help you un-complicate the entire Harley radio flash issue, when adding a non-Harley booster amplifier and speakers, take a quick look at this short video below ,,,,,

if you decide that you would like to go with one of the J&M ROKKER XXR Extreme kits for your wife's 16 StreetGlide Special, I have a very special (good thru Monday only) 25% discount code available for all HD Forum members.

for the code, send email to audio@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Video Link here

Old 11-25-2017, 12:53 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
JDW1 ,,,,,

To help you un-complicate the entire Harley radio flash issue, when adding a non-Harley booster amplifier and speakers, take a quick look at this short video below ,,,,,

if you decide that you would like to go with one of the J&M ROKKER XXR Extreme kits for your wife's 16 StreetGlide Special, I have a very special (good thru Monday only) 25% discount code available for all HD Forum members.

for the code, send email to audio@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Video Link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVZL1kLzce8
Thanks John, so which one of your “kits”is comparable to the RF HD14TKIT?

Old 11-25-2017, 02:11 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

JDW ,,,,,

very good question.

I have never installed one of the RF kits or listened to them at any of the shows.

I know that the J&M ROKKER XXR Extreme kits are about 2-4db louder on the meter than the same BOOM II system from Harley and produce significantly better bass response.

jdw1 (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

I bought a J&M 330 watt + 7.25" speaker setup before I joined this forum. I pulled it out the next day extremely PO'ed that I spent that much money on what looked and sounded something you would hear in a kid's talking doll. Save yourself the money and do a search on this (or any) forum about J&M before you buy.

I have used Rockford stuff in cars and another bike before with good results, but I haven't heard that kit yet. I expect you'd be MUCH happier with it over the J&M.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ndfastln:
Badbagger09 (11-26-2017), jdw1 (11-25-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I am seeking to upgrade my stock audio system in my 17 SGS, does anyone have experience with Forsgate's HD14-Tkit, it has (2) speakers and (4) channel amp.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:49 AM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

The RF kit is a solid solution. Great products and a great warranty.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:50 AM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Currently on sale...its a no brainier. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...ils/hd14-tkit/

jdw1 (11-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade help please