Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding rear speaker lids, wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:41 AM
Slim2Gunz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Depending on what amp you have, you wont need a rca y splitter. If your amp has a 2/4 channel input switch, just put it in 2 channel mode and you will still have 4 channel output.
Mike tried to explain this as best he could earlier and it further confused me, and I'm sorry for hijacking your post. Ok so here it is in a nutshell to help me understand I guess. I ordered the FDP Sport and the front and rear line leveler from Biketronics. The way i envisioned it in my head was to connect the Front leveler from the HU to the amp and run speaker wire from amp to front speakers. Connect the rear leveler from the HU (or rear plug it looks like it is) run wire to the rear speakers I plan on putting in the bag. But with this thread it looks like i'll need the VTRSH14 harness from vtwin to get the saddle bag speakers to play? Why wouldn't me running speaker wire back there work, isn't that rear channel (plug) incoming to the amp and the wire i run be the outgoing?

Also, I spoke to the guy from vtwinaudio and he said I shouldn't do a flash and a line leveler since that will get rid of all bass with the 4 speakers and 0 amp flash, which actually makes sense to me.

I haven't been able to install or look at any of this yet since i'm still deployed currently and won't be able to look at this stuff until August when I return. Any help to school this dinosaur in audio would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:43 AM
Slim2Gunz
4th Gear

It's a 2017 Road Glide Special if that help too.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:09 AM
WVJarhead
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slim2Gunz
Mike tried to explain this as best he could earlier and it further confused me, and I'm sorry for hijacking your post. Ok so here it is in a nutshell to help me understand I guess. I ordered the FDP Sport and the front and rear line leveler from Biketronics. The way i envisioned it in my head was to connect the Front leveler from the HU to the amp and run speaker wire from amp to front speakers. Connect the rear leveler from the HU (or rear plug it looks like it is) run wire to the rear speakers I plan on putting in the bag. But with this thread it looks like i'll need the VTRSH14 harness from vtwin to get the saddle bag speakers to play? Why wouldn't me running speaker wire back there work, isn't that rear channel (plug) incoming to the amp and the wire i run be the outgoing?

Also, I spoke to the guy from vtwinaudio and he said I shouldn't do a flash and a line leveler since that will get rid of all bass with the 4 speakers and 0 amp flash, which actually makes sense to me.

I haven't been able to install or look at any of this yet since i'm still deployed currently and won't be able to look at this stuff until August when I return. Any help to school this dinosaur in audio would be greatly appreciated.
You are correct in your thinking. Running the wire from the amp to the rear speakers will work just fine. I believe the harness mentioned earlier in the thread is a pre-made harness for rear speakers that has built in quick disconnects in the event you want to remove your bags for maintenance/cleaning. You can add weatherproof quick disconnects to your speaker wire and achieve the same results. Best of luck to ya out there!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Also, I spoke to the guy from vtwinaudio and he said I shouldn't do a flash and a line leveler since that will get rid of all bass with the 4 speakers and 0 amp flash, which actually makes sense to me. .
Imho, this is poor advice. Get the sled flashed. That wild HD Boom bass curve = distortion.

T.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Ok this may be hard to explain and understand but here goes.
In order to have fade control on your hu, it will require a flash for a 4 channel configuration. That will activate the rear channel out put from the hu and fade control will appear on the hu. If it is flashed for a 4 channel/no amp, then the line leveler will be needed. That flash will activate the rear channels but not flatten out the signal from the hu.

If the hu is flashed for a 4/6 channel/1or 2 amps then the signal is flattened out and no line leveler is needed. That is how mine is flashed now and I don't have the line leveler in play.

If you don't want fade and with the focal sport, you only need the front line leveler and no rca y splitter will be needed. Put the front line leveler in play, put the focal in 2 channel input and you will have 4 channel out put to the front and rear speakers. No flash of any kind will be needed. You wont need any thing connected to the rear channel output from the head unit. That amp will use the signal from the front input channels for all 4 output channels.

The following users liked this post:
Slim2Gunz (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:22 AM
Slim2Gunz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by WVJarhead
You are correct in your thinking. Running the wire from the amp to the rear speakers will work just fine. I believe the harness mentioned earlier in the thread is a pre-made harness for rear speakers that has built in quick disconnects in the event you want to remove your bags for maintenance/cleaning. You can add weatherproof quick disconnects to your speaker wire and achieve the same results. Best of luck to ya out there!
Yea i think that's the option i'll go with because I want to be able to adjust the front differently than the rear with gains and what have you. I'll just run the speaker wire from the amp to the rear speaker instead of getting the harness because as you mentioned the quick disconnect seem to serve the same purpose, thanks!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Slim2Gunz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Imho, this is poor advice. Get the sled flashed. That wild HD Boom bass curve = distortion.

T.
I will, spoke to my HD dealer and they are going to do the 4 speakers 0 amp flash for me prior to install so i can tune it while installing, thanks!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:29 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

I would get a flash for 4 channel 1 amp or 6 channel 2 amp and eliminate the need for a line leveler. The 4 channel 0 amp flash will not flatten the eq curve from the hu.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I will, spoke to my HD dealer and they are going to do the 4 speakers 0 amp flash for me prior to install so i can tune it while installing, thanks!
Excellent!!! Flashed 0 amp 4 Speaks with the BT Line Leveler is a proven combo to get that Boom EQ under control AND have fade functionality.

T

Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Slim2Gunz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I would get a flash for 4 channel 1 amp or 6 channel 2 amp and eliminate the need for a line leveler.
My local HD won't flash 4 channel 1 or 6/2. They will only flash 4/0. VTwin audio pointed me in the direction of some site that has dealers that flash HD's with that Centurion Super Pro and they can do the 4/1 or 6/2. The issue is I only have 3 weeks in the states while on leave to completely redo my bike ( stretched bags/ fenders, audio, wheels) before getting the bike prepped to be shipped to Hawaii for my next duty station. So i might hold off on doing the 4/1 or 6/2 until i get settled in hawaii and keep the leveler in for now.

Quick Reply: Adding rear speaker lids, wiring question