Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding rear speaker lids, wiring question

Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts
Default Adding rear speaker lids, wiring question

Im adding speaker lids(and amp) to my new bike, I have the BT355’s I understand it plugs into the rear wiring harness, so I’m assuming my bike has one even though it has no rear speakers? If this is the case where do I find the other end of the harness?(do I need to buy a rear harness from HD for this?) and how do I tie into it? Or am I better off just running my own wires back to the new lids? If so what wires are what on the BT’s as I’d have to cut off the plug and go from there. Trying to get all my questions pretty much answered before I start the install.

Thanks again!

Mike

This was all much easier on my old street glide lol

Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Ok this may be hard to explain. First the line levelers plug into the radio speaker outputs. then out of the line levelers via rca connectors to the amp. Most amps have a set of rca input connectors. The radio has the front (left & right) 2 prong and the rear channel will have a 4 prong out of the radio and will have a cap over it. There is no wire harness to go to the rear speakers on your bike unless it has rear speakers in it from factory so you will need it. If you are using RF rear lid speaker kit, it comes with the harness and quick connects in the bag. If you are getting aftermarket lids and speakers then you can get a harness from v twin audio. They are out of Canada and shipping is a tad steep but have quality products.
Front LL

Rear LL

Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

BTW, you will have to have the radio flashed from Harley to activate the front/rear fade control.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:02 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
BTW, you will have to have the radio flashed from Harley to activate the front/rear fade control.
Thank you, and yes I know this

Old 01-13-2018, 04:01 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

If you're not dead set on having fade you don't really need the rear line leveler. Use an RCA "Y" connection readily available on Amazon to split the signal from the front line leveler to the front and rear input signals of your amp. Then just run speaker wire from your amp to rear speakers.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:27 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadie13
If you're not dead set on having fade you don't really need the rear line leveler. Use an RCA "Y" connection readily available on Amazon to split the signal from the front line leveler to the front and rear input signals of your amp. Then just run speaker wire from your amp to rear speakers.
I personally want the ability to fade front to rear since different size speakers and possible different gain settings on front and rear. Also you need some type of quick connect going to the rears so you can remove the bags for cleaning/maintenance.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

I personally want the ability to fade front to rear since different size speakers and possible different gain settings on front and rear. Also you need some type of quick connect going to the rears so you can remove the bags for cleaning/maintenance.
its totally your option and preference, but fade control only cuts volume to front or rear, and on a bike, i want all it will give me, im on my 3rd head unit in 2 years and have never used the fade controljust my $.02

Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Default W

Same here,I get I could save a few bucks just going with one, but I’d rather hav3 the fade ability. And yes for sure I’ll have a disconnect at the bags.

Thanks for all the info, I’ll look into that rear wiring harness.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Slim2Gunz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
which one did you use?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:59 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Depending on what amp you have, you wont need a rca y splitter. If your amp has a 2/4 channel input switch, just put it in 2 channel mode and you will still have 4 channel output.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding rear speaker lids, wiring question