Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6x9 speaker selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:20 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts
Default 6x9 speaker selection

Howdy all,

I caught the Hogtunes pre-Rushmore lids on sale at Parts Giant and ordered a set. Now I am trying to get input on which 6x9 speakers to purchase. I will say up front that I do want marine rated speakers. I am more concerned with durability and water resistance than the ultimate sound quality. That being said I know y'all have tried out most of what is out there so that should still leave a good selection.

I have AD designs in the lowers and rear pods so there is not much bass present there. I know 6x9 speakers are not going to thump all that hard in the lids but if anyone knows of a set that has decent bass and sounds good I'd appreciate any info. I have heard some good things about the Polk Audio DB682 speakers and the new 6x9 Motos from Spork, but do not have the ability to hear either one. I live just around the corner from nowhere so sled audio isn't something you can check up on with your own eyes and ears around here.

As far as wattage goes I haven't decided exactly how I am going to drive them yet. To test them I will probably just parallel them with the Motos on the front channel for a bit to get a rough idea of assembly before painting them. That would give them about 120 watts with the SS PN4.1000d I have now. Eventually I would like to get a good RF amp for the fairing so that might allow me to put the SS in the bag and give them the full 140 watts. I figure the other channels could go to the ADs in the rear pods.

Anyhow that is what I've got bouncing around in my noggin at the moment. I don't have a lot of cash to throw around but I do want to get the process started.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Howdy all,

I caught the Hogtunes pre-Rushmore lids on sale at Parts Giant and ordered a set. Now I am trying to get input on which 6x9 speakers to purchase. I will say up front that I do want marine rated speakers. I am more concerned with durability and water resistance than the ultimate sound quality. That being said I know y'all have tried out most of what is out there so that should still leave a good selection.

I have AD designs in the lowers and rear pods so there is not much bass present there. I know 6x9 speakers are not going to thump all that hard in the lids but if anyone knows of a set that has decent bass and sounds good I'd appreciate any info. I have heard some good things about the Polk Audio DB682 speakers and the new 6x9 Motos from Spork, but do not have the ability to hear either one. I live just around the corner from nowhere so sled audio isn't something you can check up on with your own eyes and ears around here.

As far as wattage goes I haven't decided exactly how I am going to drive them yet. To test them I will probably just parallel them with the Motos on the front channel for a bit to get a rough idea of assembly before painting them. That would give them about 120 watts with the SS PN4.1000d I have now. Eventually I would like to get a good RF amp for the fairing so that might allow me to put the SS in the bag and give them the full 140 watts. I figure the other channels could go to the ADs in the rear pods.

Anyhow that is what I've got bouncing around in my noggin at the moment. I don't have a lot of cash to throw around but I do want to get the process started.

Thanks in advance.
i like the Digital Designs VO 6x9
amp quality will always determine finished sound quality

Old 07-16-2018, 07:35 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Get you a set of the Rockford Fosgates that everyone is throwing away that comes with their lid kits. You won't be sorry.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Just did an about an 1100 mile week of riding thru the smokies running Polk mm692's in the rear. Sound damn good and are water resistant but they got real hot. Hot enough to melt the cover off the coil over on the speaker. I am running about 120w to each of them so Im not over powering them. I will say it was around 90-93 most days but these just got real hot. The wdx 6x9's are decent but with lots of power, the highs can be ear piercing sitting still. Going down the road at speed, those highs are what you need to hear them. They are just a bit $$ for what you get to me. The hertz mpx 690's are damn good (about the best in my opinion) but $$ also and not water resistant. A bit of frog skin on your grills will take care of that. Sony xs-gs 6921's are damn good too for the price as the tweeters in those are soft dome and the highs aren't ear piercing. DD VO's are damn good too but no highs from them, just damn good mids. I've got a set of the new cpx 690 hertz that should be here by the end of the week and I will review them also. I don't suggest infinity kappa 6x9's as they have a history of the baskets (frames) breaking as they are just cheap plastic.

I believe if you are tight on cash, the polk mm692's can be had for around $200 a set, just be sure to keep any thing from touching them and not loading the bags up with stuff to keep heat in. The sony's are around the same price but have exposed coil over also.

Hope this helps. And as always, just my thoughts.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:58 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Get you a set of the Rockford Fosgates that everyone is throwing away that comes with their lid kits. You won't be sorry.
Those are good speakers too but not worth the $$$. If you can find them for under $200 a set, then you got a good buy. For $300, the mpx 690's, DD vo's or other speakers are better.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Those are good speakers too but not worth the $$$. If you can find them for under $200 a set, then you got a good buy. For $300, the mpx 690's, DD vo's or other speakers are better.
Exactly why I suggested getting a set that someone was discarding.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Exactly why I suggested getting a set that someone was discarding.
I did the same thing when I bought my kit. I looked at those and laughed but rf figured that out right. Those little paper weights sound damn good for what they are.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

I was thinking about the Polks but the melting thing sounds kind of weird. I figure they would get pretty hot in the rear deck of a car as well.

In looking at the two models of Polks I see an MM692 and a DB692. Am I correct in thinking the MM692 is the better sounding of the two? The DB692s are so cheap it almost makes me suspicious.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

If you get the polks, get the mm series

Old 07-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My first set of polks melted. I just assumed I had the tuning wrong. Maybe not. I

Quick Reply: 6x9 speaker selection