Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade for 2016 SGS with TP...Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:02 PM
TX_HarleyGuy
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrade for 2016 SGS with TP...Need Help

Just FYI, yes I have read all the other posts...but I still have questions as there seems to be a lot of info and some of it contradicts itself. I have a 2016 SGS with a factory Ultra TP. I am looking to upgrade the audio system with an amp, front fairing speakers and rear pod speakers. I do not have plans to use bag speakers or lowers at this time. My main goal is to get better quality volume/sound, especially at highway speeds. I would like to utilize as much plug n play as possible and really no mods to any speaker area. I will be using the stock HU.

Questions:

1) AMPS - CV B54, JL Audio, RF TM400, ?? I do want to retain FM reception and current controls.
2) Speakers - Thinking Hertz HCX165 front and Alpine SPR-60 rear...certainly open to other suggestions, but want to keep it simple and have drop in ready. Is there a good option with all speakers the same that will fit?
3) Why do some amps (RF, JM) use only the 2 channel for both front and back? Why not use the 4 channels? Could you use a two channel amp and then just use the HU for the rears as most of the volume comes from the front anyway. I ride 70% solo, but still want good sound from rears.
4) What is now the consensus for the radio flash? This really seems to be conflicting? Currently have the stock SGS flash on the HU.

I really appreciate all the knowledge and experience from this site. Thanks in advance for your help. KH

Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

The easiest way to go is get a bt355 from Biketronics and skip the flash, unless you want to have fade. That will plug into your factory radio harness, then rca to amp, new wire from amp to speakers.

The following users liked this post:
TX_HarleyGuy (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 04:41 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

As inthewind stated, using a bt355 line leveler is the easiest way to curve the radical eq curve that the boom hu delivers. The jury is still out on how to flash a hu so until that is proven, the line leveler is still the best way to curve the boom box. As far as amps go, the b54 wont be enough power for 4 speakers to be heard at speed. Both the tm400 and jl amps will provide what you are looking for. Referring to only running 2 channels is if more than 4 speakers are being used like lowers. You stated that you are running fairing and tp only so a good 4 channel amp will be what you need. Stay far away from JM products. It is over priced and just not good equipment.

The hcx 165 speakers will do you justice in the fairing and although I don't run a tp, a set of polks mm 652's should fit in the tp from what the gurus here say. Im not sure about the alpines.

Radio reception is questionable on the JL amp but the tm400 will retain fm with no problems. It depends on what antenna you are running. A hidden power antenna will loose fm with most amps regardless of placement. There is just something about a hidden antenna that doesn't work well. Stock or tp antenna should be ok.

Hope this answers some questions.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 07-21-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:18 AM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as tour pack..
Like a lot of folks, I have the Polk 652s in my tour pack. They drop in without spacers and sound good. If you add spacers or vtwin adapters, you can use a lot of speakers, but take up passenger room.. if you are trying to keep it simple, Polks are pretty good option. They do have fugly grills though. I bought boom grills to use instead.
At 65mph, most of what you will hear is from fairing speakers.

Last edited by GLW Mike; 07-21-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:59 AM
TX_HarleyGuy
Novice

Thank you for the input guys. So, the RF TM400x4AD is a solid amp and will power the 4 speakers ok? I'll be using the TP antenna...haven't seen good things about the fairing antennas. Also read about the Stinger SPX700 amp...pros or cons on this as an alternative? Price point is comparable.
Sounds like the Hertz HCX 165 is a good choice up front and the Polk MM 652s in the rear?
Curious about the LL...I read some have removed them due to change in the flash? I've read lots of threads so my info may be getting mixed? But if I used the LL, I would only need 1 due to using only the front speaker input for all 4 speakers? Would there be any advantage to using both the front and rear inputs? I guess fade? Or is this just easier? No flash required with the amp and front input only correct?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks again! KH

Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 AM
TX_HarleyGuy
Novice

Originally Posted by GLW Mike
As far as tour pack..
Like a lot of folks, I have the Polk 652s in my tour pack. They drop in without spacers and sound good. If you add spacers or vtwin adapters, you can use a lot of speakers, but take up passenger room.. if you are trying to keep it simple, Polks are pretty good option. They do have fugly grills though. I bought boom grills to use instead.
At 65mph, most of what you will hear is from fairing speakers.

Yes, you are correct, the grills are fugly LOL.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't comment on any of the flash stuff. I went line levelers and breakout harness route. Breakout harness was needed to be able to fade front and rear. 1 LL for front, 1 LL for rear and breakout harness. With 10% forum discount at BT, it was around $250 for all 3.

I had the Stinger amp before i installed a JL600/6 last month.. very happy with it. Small and vecroes nicely to stock tray. Only thing is it does not have direct imputs for speaker wires. Need to butt connect them to their plug/harness. Not a biggie for me. I had the Polk652 in TP with the Stinger amp

Another suggestion is spending $100 and order a Stinger harley wiring kit on ebay. Has EVERYTHING you need.. from 8g power cables/fuse, factory wiring harness plugs and dedicated speaker wires with ferral ends. Nice kit. Makes things simple either way you wire things.

Im not an expert.... but going either the RF amp, JL400/4 or Stinger 4x700 would all work well with those speakers. Stinger will be cheapest route.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:34 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

I just had my hu flashed to eliminate the line levelers but not sure if that was the right flash, so I still recommend using the line leveler. If you don't have fade control on your HU then the front LL is all you need. You can run 2 channel and 4 channel out.