Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hertz in rain q

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 05:38 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member
Received 965 Likes on 621 Posts
Default Hertz in rain q

How do the Hertz MPX 690.3 pro speakers hold up to rain? From most accounts they seem to be a better speaker for sound than the Rockford Fosgate TMS69 but, the RF's are designed for bag lids. I am putting Infinities in the fairing and a Stinger 700 amp. Thoughts.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

Buy most accounts the Hertz are the best 6x9 you can buy. I'm not sure about the weather rating but I'm sure Travelinggypse has been caught in a storm or two with his.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:51 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

You can treat them with some camp dry spray and or use this over the speaker

https://www.outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WR12

Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
You can treat them with some camp dry spray and or use this over the speaker

https://www.outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WR12
which do you use? Are the Hertz that much better than the RF's in sound as to go through the extra steps to waterproofing as opposed to a waterproof speaker, in your opinion?

Last edited by highwayman50; 01-16-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

Are the Hertz that much better than the RF's in sound as to go through the extra steps to waterproofing as opposed to a waterproof speaker, in your opinion?
I used to run the RF 6x9s in my lids and as far as rain resistant they were flawless. No matter what I rode through I never got a drop in my bags (Hogtunes lids). I will say though they didn't sound as clean at high volumes as the Polks I am running now. I can't offer an opinion on the Hertz but if they sound much better than the Polks (Gypsye would know) then that would be a pretty good improvement in sound quality. I love the build quality of the Rockfords but I don't think they sound as good as they should for their price range. I got mine used though and was well pleased with the deal.

Gypsye I got a question about the cloth you listed. I remember years ago I had gotten some "acoustically transparent" cloth for the rear deck of an old car I had. Do you know if the cloth you listed affects the sound volume or quality noticeably?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:53 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by highwayman50
which do you use? Are the Hertz that much better than the RF's in sound as to go through the extra steps to waterproofing as opposed to a waterproof speaker, in your opinion?
I have used both for the mpx 690.3's. Currantly running hertz cpx 690.3's as they have water resistant cones and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and the mpx. As far as SQ at lower speeds the hertz are hands down better quality over the tms69's. At speed (70+) SQ goes by the wind and volume takes over.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:04 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member

I have used both for the mpx 690.3's. Currantly running hertz cpx 690.3's as they have water resistant cones and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and the mpx. As far as SQ at lower speeds the hertz are hands down better quality over the tms69's. At speed (70+) SQ goes by the wind and volume takes over.
Thanks brother.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:23 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member

I cant seem to find Hertz "cpx" speakers with any search I try, suggestions?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:31 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I used to run the RF 6x9s in my lids and as far as rain resistant they were flawless. No matter what I rode through I never got a drop in my bags (Hogtunes lids). I will say though they didn't sound as clean at high volumes as the Polks I am running now. I can't offer an opinion on the Hertz but if they sound much better than the Polks (Gypsye would know) then that would be a pretty good improvement in sound quality. I love the build quality of the Rockfords but I don't think they sound as good as they should for their price range. I got mine used though and was well pleased with the deal.

Gypsye I got a question about the cloth you listed. I remember years ago I had gotten some "acoustically transparent" cloth for the rear deck of an old car I had. Do you know if the cloth you listed affects the sound volume or quality noticeably?
This is the same cloth that they use for air breather waterproofing and is very thin. I didn't see/hear any difference when applied. I put it on 1 side then fired up the audio and couldn't tell any difference. As far as the polks go, I liked the sound of them too but had a problem with them over heating and melting the capacitor covers off.

The following users liked this post:
Hoyt 1911A1 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

had a problem with them over heating and melting the capacitor covers off.
I actually found a video online where they set a guys jacket on fire in his saddlebag. He noticed the smoke and stopped and opened up the lid and flames came out. He tossed his jacket on the ground and filmed it burning.

So far I haven't had any issues at all with the 691s. I stuck the crossovers on the underside of the lids underneath the strap with Velcro and all has been well.

Quick Reply: Hertz in rain q