Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximizing fairing acoustics?

Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM
JackRick
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maximizing fairing acoustics?

Hello audiophiles! As stated in the title, I'm looking for some experienced feedback on how to get the best sound from Rushmore fairing Amp/Speakers setup. I have the Boom Stage 2 speaker/amp upgrade, in a 2018 SG. I realize it's not a well-liked system, but I don't have the means to do an entire system replacement, currently. I don't think it sounds terrible, but I'm confident it could sound better. So in the meantime, I'd like to make the most out of what I have. Please resist the urge to just bash the Boom 2, vs offering suggestions to exploit it's potential.

First off, the speaker pods. I've done some reading up, and there's a mixture of ideas between porting, sealing, polyfill, and even eliminating them for BT brackets. Seems speaker dependent, but from what I gather- the Boom 2's are coaxial (yes?). If so, which pod solution should I start with? I'm not opposed to paying the $269 for the BT brackets (eliminating pods altogether), if it'll make a substantial difference. Or, does the port better suit my setup? Polyfill?

Secondly, is sound mat. I've read up on people putting Dynamat (or equivalent) on the inside of the outer fairing. Kuryaken makes a pre-cut kit for $189, does warrant the results? Also, would this cause the Amp to overheat, by further insulating the fairing? Does the fairing vent heat out, somewhere that I'm missing? Or is it water-tight?

Summed up, I know ($269 + $189 = ) $458 isn't cheap, but its still more cost effective than overhauling the entire system... just yet. Would there be a justifiable improvement in sound, with those mods? ....OR are there better/cheaper ways to extract better sound from Boom Stage 2?

Thank you in advance for any constructive advice!

Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

If you aren't against cutting it yourself, you can find Rockville sound deadening materiel on eBay for MUCH cheaper, it's the route I'm going as I have to do fairing, pods, bags, etc.

I will let others clue you in on Rushmore Boom opinions as I haven't tinkered with them at all. I did ride a rental RG with Boom and it wasn't terrible, can't compete with full blown 8 speaker systems someone built from scratch but compared to what my 07 had stock, it's ain't bad but I'm sure plenty here have creatively improved them.

The following users liked this post:
JackRick (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:55 PM
JackRick
Novice

118 views....and only 1 reply?

Old 03-18-2019, 06:58 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

There's just no potential to exploit. Sorry.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:29 PM
JohnnyBagger
Novice

Originally Posted by JackRick
118 views....and only 1 reply?
I feel your pain...lol. See my post "Speaker Pod Basics", 140 views/ZERO replies. If you ask about an amplifier, pair of speakers or DSP everyone wants their opinion heard. Ask how to optimize your enclosure....crickets.

Found this article on AHB.
https://www.americanhardbag.com/page...iring-speakers

AHB says you need to seal the pod for best sound....might be true for your Boom speakers. I can't help but think with bigger speakers/magnets you would need to provide more air space behind the speaker. The BT bracket is a good example. Unfortunately, BT doesn't make a bracket for my RG.

As for Dynamat, I don't know. I asked the same question.... Is it needed or just icing on the cake for competitors?

Would be nice to get some more experienced input .....

Last edited by JohnnyBagger; 03-18-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
JackRick (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

You asked for no bashing. No one here has anything nice to say about Boom so no one is going to say anything.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:53 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

I have zero experience with boom stuff but on my system I have found that most speakers do well with a port in the pods. Some benefit from a port and a handful of polyfil. Just depends on the speaker and the sound you like. It’s all trial and error.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 PM
JackRick
Novice

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just looking for guidance. I know the masses hate Boom, but I have a hard time believing that NOTHING can be done to improve the stock acoustics?! For exmaple, I can take a bluetooth speaker, set it in a bookshelf while playing, and it changes the sound drastically. There has to be tips/tricks that make the Boom-stage2-setup sound better than just bolting them into the stock speaker pods.......or am I being naive?

Last edited by JackRick; 03-18-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Specify stage 2
Old 03-18-2019, 08:15 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

The only Boom system I've ever heard that sounded good was on the showroom floor. With Harley's run file bin it drastically changes that setup and not in a good way.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

There is the key hack that boom headunit and gain access to the DSP settings. That will improve your sound and likely make you wealthy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maximizing fairing acoustics?