Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My $600 build

Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM
paul1970
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Default My $600 build

Warning long post
I’ve been reading and wanting to upgrade for a very long time, I wanted a budget build like most but something I didn’t feel an immediate need to redo

hated the stock head unit because of the lack of features, but didn’t want the expense of upgrading that so first I got a Bluetooth adapter for a whopping $17.00 it goes into a 12v power supply in my tour pack, and works great instant Bluetooth

thought about basic kappas and sound stream amp but at some point everyone tosses them and moves on, so I took the advice of others found a great deal on a stinger spx 700 x 4 and put mmats in the fairing, mmats 601 cx are highly recommended for a reason they sound great, for average guys I don’t see anyone wanting more and the stinger amp retained my FM reception , so thank you traveling gypsye for amp recommendation

fairing install went well hooked up fairly easy and sounded way better than expected, the pac sni 35 was recommended even though the amp says not needed so I took the advice and used it, I don’t know why everything works the way it does but it works flawlessly

next came the tour pack I read where dsm limited recommend prv 6mb 250 for a drop in tour pac speaker and thought that ll save room in the back and cash, they’re roughly $100 cheaper than another set of mmats, unfortunately they didn’t drop right in for me and I’ll need a spacer but the sound they produce for the money spent definitely has me smiling, so thanks dsm limited

went to wiring in the back and couldn’t get sound so I questioned if I was wiring wrong, sbates got me straightened out very quickly turns out I needed Y adapters and although I have no idea why what he told me to do works, it worked immediately so thank you
sbates08

Long story short all you guys are amazing and I don’t know why any average guy would buy the more expensive plug and play garbage out there, you guys go to through the hassle of trying and recommending better products for a much better price to help us, I personally thank you for that

I’ve still got buttoning up to do need spacers and tour pack grills so I haven’t ridden it yet, I’ll take recommendations for those if you’ve read this far

sitting still this thing sounds incredible to my ears balanced and very loud but not just harsh loud and obnoxious, I hear highs, mids, lows and they’re blended very well for roughly $600 I’m stoked
THANKS AGAIN GUYS

Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

Glad it worked out for you.

What bike and head unit are you using with the PAC SNI-35s? That info might help someone else that is considering a similar budget.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:34 AM
paul1970
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Glad it worked out for you.

What bike and head unit are you using with the PAC SNI-35s? That info might help someone else that is considering a similar budget.
2009 street glide with added tour pack and stock head unit

The following users liked this post:
Hoyt 1911A1 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the info. I think I remember someone a while back saying they had tried speaker level inputs with the stock HK head unit and the same amp with the PAC SNI-35 converters and they said that the setup with the SNI-35s sounded better. This info might help someone just browsing the boards.

I sent my HK head unit (2010 UC) to Iron Cross to have preamp outputs installed and it sounds great, but it was an added expense and time. Also with those preamp outputs you have to add ground loop isolators on each pair to eliminate pops with turning the head unit on and off.

Sounds like the way you have it set up is simpler.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,081 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Paul,

Thanks for the follow up post. It's good to see where people land at the other end. Lots of posts or advice doesn't get followed up on and leads to dead ends for people searching.

I'm glad everything (almost everything) played out well for you. Sorry about the mis-advice on the PRV being a drop in. They are in the Rushmore tp and evidently not in the earlier ones. Hopefully the spacer required doesn't bother you.

Good job on getting it all done!!! Congrats

paul1970 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:33 PM
paul1970
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Paul,

Thanks for the follow up post. It's good to see where people land at the other end. Lots of posts or advice doesn't get followed up on and leads to dead ends for people searching.

I'm glad everything (almost everything) played out well for you. Sorry about the mis-advice on the PRV being a drop in. They are in the Rushmore tp and evidently not in the earlier ones. Hopefully the spacer required doesn't bother you.

Good job on getting it all done!!! Congrats
Spacer isn’t going to bother me a bit

Old 07-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 186 Likes on 157 Posts

Yep the guys and the advice here are great. Sometimes we might not always like what we here, but the guys here are honest and trying to get our bikes sounding their best and still stay within our budget.

Kappa's and Sound stream amp are a great system at a great price. Sometimes it is even tough convincing people to at least spend enough bucks to upgrade to the Kappa's and SS.

Like you said. Thats where lots of us started, but that was where my budget was. Now I've moved up to a Stinger, a NVX Vadm4, ÑB's in the fairing, and Mmats in lowers and tour pack, amd speaker lids on the way. Like they say, it is addicting.

Glad you were able to step up to the Stinger and Mmats right off the bat. You'll be quite happy, I know I am.

paul1970 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Shoot I like the sound quality of my Motos and Mmats combo up front just fine with my SoundStream amp. The main reason I wanted rid of the thing was because it was huge and trashed FM. It sure is a lot of good power for a small amount of cash.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:02 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Paul, I am more than happy to answer the questions you had and damn glad you got the sound you wanted. It is addicting though as I started the same way, just looking for a better sound than my stock setup. Counting the horns, I now have 10 speakers on my bike. That damn unicorn just keeps dancing in front of me as I have bought/sold gave away more speakers than you could ever imagine just in the last 2 yrs.

paul1970 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Paul when you get the urge to upgrade a particular component do like a lot of us have learned to do. Just put up a post saying "Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on....".

Someone looking for a nudge to upgrade that component will most likely shoot you a PM offering you a great price so they can roll that money over into the next best thing on their list.

Half the audio equipment on my bike came second hand from users on these forums. I settled on the fairing/lowers/pods/lids setup as a good balance between sound and cargo capacity on my Ultra.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My $600 build