Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android auto, prompt volume control.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 08:48 PM
-XX-
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Android auto, prompt volume control.

This is driving me crazy, 21 Road glide special, been using android auto from Samsung Zflip plugged into USB for 6 months and from S8 phone for 4 months prior. Worked great except occasionally when I shut bike off and left phone plugged in I would have to unplug and replug phone in to get the Auto play to show up on home screen. Took bike in for 15K service and works great initially, but when I shut it off and restart (refuel etc) the thumb volume control reverts to prompt volume. Tried every setting I can find and can not get it back to media volume. If I shut the bike down, unplug the phone and wait for 5-10 minutes, restart bike, verify thumb stick controls media volume, plug phone in, I’m good to go. Half the time after the 5-10 minute wait when I go to adjust volume it will show speaker with slash (volume off) but if I go to FM etc then adjust it it works, plug phone in and good to go.
Stream music from LiveX or amazon playlist and prefer google maps projected on screen to the HD navigation because of familiarity. If I Bluetooth phone and play music works great but stuck with the HD nav.
Dealer was closed today but will call tomorrow and make sure they didn’t update software. Really think the problem is with a android auto or google maps change.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:05 AM
cvofatboy65
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue, and have no idea what it is

The following users liked this post:
Bushy (04-23-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 03:06 PM
-XX-
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In case someone else runs into this problem I think I got it fixed. Deleted update as per this thread Android Auto issues - Harley Davidson Forums (hdforums.com), didn't solve my problem.
Reset system, no help.
Installed latest update 22.21.2800 from 21.20.22.00, worked better but 3-4th restart toggle reverted to controlling prompt volume.
Went into Android auto settings on infotainment screen and turned off these three settings. 1 show message notifications, 2 auto start media, 3 on the start android automatically selected "default set by car".
Worked great for one good ride with 5-6 shutdowns. We will see. Going to try it for awhile and if it continues to work I'll turn them on 1 by 1 and try to isolate.
Of course it could have been a combination of several things I did.

The following 2 users liked this post by -XX-:
deauxboy (03-25-2022), Sol-Invictus (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 03:34 PM
DoubleJ74
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -XX-
In case someone else runs into this problem I think I got it fixed. Deleted update as per this thread Android Auto issues - Harley Davidson Forums (hdforums.com), didn't solve my problem.
Reset system, no help.
Installed latest update 22.21.2800 from 21.20.22.00, worked better but 3-4th restart toggle reverted to controlling prompt volume.
Went into Android auto settings on infotainment screen and turned off these three settings. 1 show message notifications, 2 auto start media, 3 on the start android automatically selected "default set by car".
Worked great for one good ride with 5-6 shutdowns. We will see. Going to try it for awhile and if it continues to work I'll turn them on 1 by 1 and try to isolate.
I had the same issue, I just did what you suggested and it worked for me as well. I then put the start automatically back to always, still worked. then turned on message notifications and it still worked, turned auto start media back on and it went back to prompt again. So just turning off auto start media seems to work.

The following 3 users liked this post by DoubleJ74:
-XX- (03-28-2022), KsSporty (04-16-2022), Sol-Invictus (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 03:54 PM
Scarydog
Tourer
Received 212 Likes on 93 Posts

I was able to fix music volume by running the Google maps sound test then music volume would come back under control. Had to do it everytime though.
Going to try the auto play setting since its a sometimes it starts and sometimes it won thing anyway.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:55 PM
deauxboy
Advanced
Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by -XX-
Reset system, no help.
Thank you for posting this. It's been driving me nuts and seems to have been a relatively recent development, so maybe an Android update? Will definitely try turning auto-start media off and see if that works for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by deauxboy:
-XX- (03-28-2022), Bushy (04-23-2022), Sol-Invictus (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 03:57 PM
Punkin49
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I just started having this problem also, i thought i had it figured out with a certain sequence. 1. start bike 2. plug in phone 3. let android auto start up 4.wait.... then try volume and it works.

I'm going to try and shut this setting off on my phone, update my radio and see if this helps.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:50 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,435 Likes on 875 Posts

FYI, I picked up 2 of the new Motorola

MA1

WIRELESS CAR ADAPTER FOR ANDROID AUTO™

I put one in my car and one on my bike and they are flawless. $89 each from Amazon. I no longer have to plug my phone in and cram it in my tiny SG glove box or mount in on my bars. I ran a USB port to my left saddle bag using a Y connector on the battery charging port. You could get them on Amazon for 8 bucks. So now I just plug in my phone to charge and I'm on wireless Android auto so I don't need the phone on my bars anymore. For short rides I can just leave it in my pocket. All normal functions work and Bluetooth music sounds just as good as the hard wired. Since the dongle is plugged into the USB port the volume is always on Max like it is when it's hardwired.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:54 PM
cvofatboy65
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a MA1 as well and it works great! I never checked to see if there is volume difference between wireless or USB connected

Old 03-25-2022, 08:35 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,435 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by cvofatboy65
I have a MA1 as well and it works great! I never checked to see if there is volume difference between wireless or USB connected
when you use a Bluetooth connection the volume that set on your phone is the volumne level that's going to the unit. Hardwired it automatically puts it at full volume. With the ma-1 it thinks it's hardwired because it's plugged into the USB port and the volume is always on high. You just have to make sure your location is on if you want to use navigation, the wireless setting in Android auto is checked on and use when locked is checked on. It does drain the phone's battery more so that's why I put the USB port in the saddlebag so I don't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Android auto, prompt volume control.