Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a stereo together, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Brew61
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Putting a stereo together, couple questions

I have a 2004 Road King that I am going to install a stereo into. I have A Reckless fairing for 6x9’s and a King Tour Pak. My Tour Pak will not be on very often.

Right now I have bought a Sony CDX-H910UI Receiver and Infinity 6912M speakers for up front. I think I have decided to go with the The Punch PBR300X4 amp. I know they have heat issues but I am thinking of maybe adding some cooling fins and maybe a computer type fan on it. Seems the Class D amps cause problems with your FM. I also want a 4 channel so I can drive all four speakers when I have the Tour Pak on and I don’t want to spend the extra money on a second amp.

As for rear speakers I do have the stock Pods on the Tour Pak but the Tour Pak is a 1997 and the pods do not look like they could handle a 6 ½ speaker so I am looking at buying these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David.../330686774280?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfe77bc 08&vxp=mtr

I can sell the stock ones to get some of the money back. Now for speakers I am looking at

Infinity 612M
Rockford Fosgate M262B

Not sure which ones would be better. Is there anything else that I should do? I been reading about guys having crossovers but have no idea what they are and what they do.

I was also looking at the Rockford Fosgate M400-4D amp but that also is a D class amp. I am not sure if all D class amps interfere with your FM or just that people were having problems with the Soundstream one.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by Brew61; 04-03-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:33 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The first two questions I would think long and hard about are... Are you really going to want to channel surf radio stations on a bike that will not have hand controls? Seems to me you would be better off using a iPod or iPhone or CDs. If your able to talk yourself out of channel surfing the soundstream is a great amp and I think you would be much happier with the results. It would also open the door to using a larger variety of speakers.

Last edited by ridedaddy; 04-04-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all class D amps block FM radio reception.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Brew61
I have a 2004 Road King that I am going to install a stereo into. I have A Reckless fairing for 6x9’s and a King Tour Pak. My Tour Pak will not be on very often.
Right now I have bought a Sony CDX-H910UI Receiver and Infinity 6912M speakers for up front. I think I have decided to go with the The Punch PBR300X4 amp. I know they have heat issues but I am thinking of maybe adding some cooling fins and maybe a computer type fan on it. Seems the Class D amps cause problems with your FM. I also want a 4 channel so I can drive all four speakers when I have the Tour Pak on and I don’t want to spend the extra money on a second amp.

As for rear speakers I do have the stock Pods on the Tour Pak but the Tour Pak is a 1997 and the pods do not look like they could handle a 6 ½ speaker so I am looking at buying these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David.../330686774280?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfe77bc 08&vxp=mtr

I can sell the stock ones to get some of the money back. Now for speakers I am looking at

Infinity 612M
Rockford Fosgate M262B

Not sure which ones would be better. Is there anything else that I should do? I been reading about guys having crossovers but have no idea what they are and what they do.

I was also looking at the Rockford Fosgate M400-4D amp but that also is a D class amp. I am not sure if all D class amps interfere with your FM or just that people were having problems with the Soundstream one.

Thanks
Bruce
The PBR300x4 will be fine for the speakers you've chosen. the heat issues are pretty much non-existent anymore. That was initial of batches of amps when the amp first came out a couple of years ago. If I were you and simply for more power, I would use a PBR300x2. All speakers you're referring to are 4 ohm speakers so I'd wire them in a parallel configuration. So run a set of wires to your front speakers that will stay connected all the time then run another set of wires to the rear for your pods for when you use them.

Not all class D amps cause interference and to further that even the SoundStream amps are hit and miss. I've installed some that caused the issues and some that didn't. No rhyme or reason to it.

The speakers you're referring to for the rears, I'd go with the inifinity. They have much better specs than the RF speakers do with the 2 main specs being

Sensitivity - 92 on inifinity vs 88 on RF. Higher is better
Power handling - 225 on infinity vs 150w on the RF.

The M400-D has good specs but no way that will fit in the fairing so it will definitely be a saddlebag mounted amp. A little over-priced but it's all about what you want to spend. IMO you'd get just as good of results by using the PBR300x2 with your front and rear speakers wired in parallel, save yourself some money, and mount it inside the fairing.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Brew61
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
The first two questions I would think long and hard about are... Are you really going to want to channel surf radio stations on a bike that will not have hand controls? Seems to me you would be better off using a iPod or iPhone or CDs. If your able to talk yourself out of channel surfing the soundstream is a great amp and I think you would be much happier with the results. It would also open the door to using a larger variety of speakers.
Right now I have all my tunes on a memory stick which I will have a USB port on my fairing for. I will also be installing the HD hand controls. My handle bar controls have the spot to put them I just have to order the switches and wire them all in. The head unit has the plug for installing a wired remote so it will be a breeze. But when I am riding to and from work I like to listen to the local stations. I am also not a channel surfer, I have a couple of stations I listen to and that's it. They will be on my memory buttons so no big deal to push one button. I just don't want to buy a class D amp and find out I got the short end of the stick and have one that's interferes.

I have all ready bought the front 6x9's but am still looking at the rears. So what speaker would you recommend for the rear. I was thinking Polk MM521 but seems they are falling apart I am not going to take a chance on them.

Bruce

Last edited by Brew61; 04-04-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Brew61
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
The PBR300x4 will be fine for the speakers you've chosen. the heat issues are pretty much non-existent anymore. That was initial of batches of amps when the amp first came out a couple of years ago. If I were you and simply for more power, I would use a PBR300x2. All speakers you're referring to are 4 ohm speakers so I'd wire them in a parallel configuration. So run a set of wires to your front speakers that will stay connected all the time then run another set of wires to the rear for your pods for when you use them.

Not all class D amps cause interference and to further that even the SoundStream amps are hit and miss. I've installed some that caused the issues and some that didn't. No rhyme or reason to it.

The speakers you're referring to for the rears, I'd go with the inifinity. They have much better specs than the RF speakers do with the 2 main specs being

Sensitivity - 92 on inifinity vs 88 on RF. Higher is better
Power handling - 225 on infinity vs 150w on the RF.

The M400-D has good specs but no way that will fit in the fairing so it will definitely be a saddlebag mounted amp. A little over-priced but it's all about what you want to spend. IMO you'd get just as good of results by using the PBR300x2 with your front and rear speakers wired in parallel, save yourself some money, and mount it inside the fairing.
Thanks UltraNutz

I was hoping you would chime in on this, seems you know your stuff about stereo's. Ya I am not sure I want to take a chance with a Class D amp because I will be mounting my antenna in the fairing. As for the two channel or 4 channel amps I was not sure you could hook up four speakers to the two channel one but seems you can I will go with that one if I can find a good deal on it. I found the 4 channel one for $137 so if I can come close to that price I will jump on it. Not to worried about the power, I am sure either one will be plenty loud enough for me. Besides if I have it to loud the wife on the back slaps me in the side of the helmet LOL.

The one thing with going with the 2 channel one is that I will have to figure out how to wire a fader in because I am sure the wife will want her speakers to be turned down lower then mine up front. I figured with the 4 channel I would be able to use the fader on the head unit.

What would you recommend for an inner fairing antenna?

Bruce

Last edited by Brew61; 04-04-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep this in mind.

You say you will not have your Tour Pak on very often. If you go with the pbr300x4, you cut your power output in half most of the time. If you get the pbr300x2, and use 4 ohm speakers, you will have all of your power to the front speakers with the Tour Pak off, and only lose a little to the front speakers when connecting the pod speakers in parallel.

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

well just because I have 10K + posts and chime in a lot.. there are quite a few guys here that know what they're doing.. you'll get some solid advice regardless..

But, thank you...

Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Brew61
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Just keep this in mind.

You say you will not have your Tour Pak on very often. If you go with the pbr300x4, you cut your power output in half most of the time. If you get the pbr300x2, and use 4 ohm speakers, you will have all of your power to the front speakers with the Tour Pak off, and only lose a little to the front speakers when connecting the pod speakers in parallel.
Well that's good advise thanks. I think I will just go for the 2 Channel and think of a way to put a volume control on the rear to keep the wife Happy Happy Happy.

Bruce

Old 04-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Brew61
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
well just because I have 10K + posts and chime in a lot.. there are quite a few guys here that know what they're doing.. you'll get some solid advice regardless..

But, thank you...
Well I do appreciate your help and everyone else's.

Bruce

Quick Reply: Putting a stereo together, couple questions