Custom Models All custom bikes.

97 softail with Santee Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:52 AM
gecko454
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 softail with Santee Frame?

I just picked up a 1997 softail with what I believehas a Santee frame. I bought the bike from the original owner who purchased the bike in 97 from his local hd dealership. When he bought the bike the regitration stated harley FXST but the title stated special construction. He was told that back in 97 Harley fell behind in production so they build some of thier bikes using Santee frames and those bikes recieved the special construction titles. I have no idea if this is true and am hoping someone can either dispute or verify this information. If it is a Santee frame are there any downfalls or benifits to having a Santee frame?

Any idea what this bike would be worth. It has 13,000 miles and is in really good shape, everything works perfect and bike runs great.

Also, I'm looking at cleaning up the rear end and putting a 240/250 on it. Would the specs for the alleged 97 Santee frame be the same as the 97 HD softail frame. I curious if one of the 250 kits would work or if I would have to have something custom made.

I've asked these questions in other parts of the forum and was told to ask it here in the custom forum, hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance for your help, it's greatly appreciated

Old 03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 97 softail with Santee Frame?

I can't answer any of your questions other than......theres nothing wrong with a Santee frame.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a santee softail frame 36 degree rake set up for a 180/200 rear tire I have a 160 on it now Great frame That HD story about frame shortages is bogus Can you imagine the liability factor If you want to see a picture of it let me know

Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 PM
stroker93
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Harley frame shortage story is BULL!!!!. I'm on my 2nd Santee framed bike, very well made. They might be overbuilt,only complaint I would have is the weight. Like I said well made.

The following users liked this post:
Daytonavtwin (07-07-2022)
Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer

ORIGINAL: gecko454

I just picked up a 1997 softail with what I believehas a Santee frame. I bought the bike from the original owner who purchased the bike in 97 from his local hd dealership. When he bought the bike the regitration stated harley FXST but the title stated special construction. He was told that back in 97 Harley fell behind in production so they build some of thier bikes using Santee frames and those bikes recieved the special construction titles. I have no idea if this is true and am hoping someone can either dispute or verify this information. If it is a Santee frame are there any downfalls or benifits to having a Santee frame?

Any idea what this bike would be worth. It has 13,000 miles and is in really good shape, everything works perfect and bike runs great.

Also, I'm looking at cleaning up the rear end and putting a 240/250 on it. Would the specs for the alleged 97 Santee frame be the same as the 97 HD softail frame. I curious if one of the 250 kits would work or if I would have to have something custom made.

I've asked these questions in other parts of the forum and was told to ask it here in the custom forum, hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance for your help, it's greatly appreciated
Yup, the HD/Santee frame story is a line of bull.
As far as what it's worth, that depends on if your selling, trying to get insurance or just want to make sure you didn't get ripped? If you are keepin it, I'ld say it's worth whatever you paid, if ya like it!! Here in Oregon a really nice late model evo softail runs from $8500-$15000+.
Can ya post a pic so we can see it?!! May get a better idea of value and maybe someone can verify frame for you.
My only experience with Santee frames was on a Panhead I had. I loved it.
Good luck!

As far as frame specs you will need totalk to someone atSantee and first confirm it is a Santee, then ask them aboutthe mod you want to do.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 PM
gecko454
3rd Gear
Default Finally got some pics uploaded

Thanks for all the responses. You guys are absolutely right, the story about the frame does sound like a bunch of bull. Luckly the bike runs and rides great so I'm not too disapointed. I finally got some pictures uploaded, hopefully they turn out OK. Let me know if you can tell whether it's a Santee frame or not.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails  97 softail with Santee Frame?-left.jpg    97 softail with Santee Frame?-lft-softail.jpg    97 softail with Santee Frame?-right.jpg    97 softail with Santee Frame?-rht-softail.jpg    97 softail with Santee Frame?-rear.jpg  

Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The swingarm looks like HD Check for frame numbers on the front of the front motor mount support (a long series of stamped numbers ) Bike looks great very similar to my custom softail My motor is offset 1/2 in to accommodate the rear tire 180/200 I made a special rear fender to fit Right now I run a 150 rear