Custom Models All custom bikes.

Thunder Mountain Chopper

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Robert Goodman
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's delivered! Such a nice beast. It's clearly not like the polished, smooth Harley's on sale these days. Great bikes those may be, but this bike has to be ridden and that's exactly what I wanted!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 AM
Paleface
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like it!! Cool paint

Old 10-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paleface,
-Thats one wicked ride you got there!
-I'm going on three years owning my Firestone. Yesterday a few of us, (a Texas Chopper, TP chopper, and a HD Street Glide) went for a ride from Long Beach California to Hermosa. Only a 30 or so mile ride, but by the end of the day my right shoulder was killing me. I'm getting closer (more determined) to solve this problem. If I were 6' or taller it probably wouldn't be an issue however I'm 5-10" and it requires me to have that more aggressive posture putting a lot of pressure on the front of my shoulder.
-Your bars look identical to the Carlini Slickback however, Carlini doesn't put a flat on the left side to accommodate the hydraulic clutch. Did you install your bars and if so, are they the Carlini Slickbacks?
-The 3" risers are a really nice touch to get the reach you need. I would have chromed them but the accent, if that's what you were looking for, goes with the color scheme, looks cool!
-The closest and safest thing I can think of is to buy a handlebar from Carlini, set them up in front of my Fubar's, and see how it feels. I've seen the three inch risers, I think Drag specialties has them.
-Is it possible you can take a picture for me of your bike straight up, wheel straight and from a square angle (direct side view)? I can take the picture, scale it and measure your rise and pullback. I can confirm from that if it is the Carlini. Easiest way is to sit on the bike and have someone take a side view as square as possible of the entire bike. I use the gauge console as a reference.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Paleface
Intermediate

im 5' 8" lol but ive been riding with drag bars since 1985. I couldnt find 3" risers chrome so got these put them on and I will chrome them this winter along with a new paint job and seat. This bike came stock with these bars.When I get a chance Ill take more pics.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate

Paleface, I checked with Carlini Design and the Slickback bars do not have dual flat spots to accommodate the hydraulic clutch cylinder. Makes me think yours are not from Carlini although they sure look identical by the pictures. Even as a special, they won't machine a flat spot and re chrome for a nominal cost. My only alternative would be to buy a new bar, take it to a local shop and have them machine it, then have it striped and re chromed. By that time I'd be in the bars over $500. What a PIA it is trying to find handlebars for this bike short of having them made custom! I've been combing the internet looking for the three inch risers you have, even in black and cannot find them. By chance are your handlebars 1-1/4". My Firestone came with 1-1/2" bars from the factory, the Carlini Fubar. I guess I was lucky to find those when the chrome was failing on my originals. Problem is the pain in my shoulder is becoming a pain in my ***!
My thought was to add 3" riser extensions but there's two problems, one- I can only find 2" extensions for 1-1/2 bars, and two, if I go with only 2", the bolt has a hex head on it where mine are flat head and are nearly flush with the bottom of the upper triple tree.
This Saturday I'm going to the shop who services my bike and discuss measuring for a custom set of bars.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears (eyes). There is a solution and I WILL find it!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Paleface
Intermediate

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Inch-Fat-...53.m1438.l2649
Heres the link on ebay for the 3" risers. mine are 1 1/2" bars also. I ordered Hex head SS bolts from Home Depot so they are resest like stock bolts. Hope this helps.
Keith

Old 10-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Default Handlebar Risers

Originally Posted by Paleface
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Inch-Fat-...53.m1438.l2649
Heres the link on ebay for the 3" risers. mine are 1 1/2" bars also. I ordered Hex head SS bolts from Home Depot so they are resest like stock bolts. Hope this helps.
Keith
I ordered a set yesterday and having them drop shipped to the shop who does my work. I'm speculating, a 3" rise at a 40 deg angle, (the Keystone rake is 40 degrees), will bring my grips 3" closer to me. It may be enough, I'm unsure. Did the 3" make a significant change with your Keystone?

Along with an oil change, valve adjustment check, dyne tune, and installing the risers, I'll be testing it out in 2 weeks. Btw, if they turn out to be a great fit, I'l buy another set, have them chrome plated and just swap 'em out to eliminate any down time for chrome plate.

Thanks for the tip Paleface!

Btw, I have a seat I need to unload as I had a new custom seat made. So, if anyone needs a seat, I believe the Firestone and Keystone seats are the same, I have one available.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Paleface
Intermediate

No Problem!! I hope it feels right to ya. I wish it went up more instead the handle bars are almost too close to me, but its better than it was!! I dont mind the down time in the winter so im good tearing mine down.
Keith
PS These are the only side veiws I could find.

Last edited by Paleface; 10-29-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 10-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Paleface
Intermediate

Oh thx for the seat offer but im getting mine reworked with more padding. Old age ya no lol

Old 10-29-2018, 09:52 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Cool

Originally Posted by Paleface
Oh thx for the seat offer but im getting mine reworked with more padding. Old age ya no lol
You aint old! Your getting better and wiser!!!

The following users liked this post:
Paleface (10-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Thunder Mountain Chopper