Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Gas spill

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 PM
CTClassic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas spill

OK, we've all done it....how does everyone deal with gas spills when fueling up? I gased up today and spilled maybe an ounce over the front of the tank. I just put a couple good coats of "Liquid Glass" polish on the tank the other day, I'm thinking just the ride home in the sun evaporated most/all of it but I buffed the spot anyway with a cloth diaper (its what i use). Thanks.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Gas spill

Whenever I do that, I grab a wet paper towel and wipe it off right away , thne clean it when i get home. It about time for a motorcycle friendly gas pump, huh?

[IMG]local://upfiles/7153/733ADA9C9B294EB3B527A6D425FFC3DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-01-2006, 06:25 AM
stubby
Road Captain

my understanding is that paper towels are made from wood by-product. This will scratch most surfaces. I've been finding keeping the tank well waxed will allow the gas to simply evaporate.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:55 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always have a rag to wipe stops spills ect. When I fill up always have it out and usually on the seat or tank cause I know ther will be a small drop or spill at sometime before finnish.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:02 PM
3Dog
Tourer

Either keep a paper towel in your bag or grab one when you pull up to the pump....when you take the nozzle from the pump hold the towel to the end of nozzle...same when you remove nozzle from tank...the towel will catch all the drips.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:03 PM
3Dog
Tourer

By the way...the gas will have removed you polymers so your should reapply your LG.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:58 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get this thread, I have only had one drop of gas hit the tank in four years. I pull the nozzle off the pump and point it towards the ground while I'm undoing the gas cap. Turn the nozzle so the tip is facing up and position it above the hole, then roll my wrist until the nozzle is in the hole. When that side is full, I lift it above the opening and let it all drain out and roll the tip back up to continue to the other side.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not many gas spills. My routine is similar. If you do have one, always use a wet paper towel to clean off the gas. I do mean wet. Then use a dry one to blot, not rub.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't get this thread, I have only had one drop of gas hit the tank in four years. I pull the nozzle off the pump and point it towards the ground while I'm undoing the gas cap. Turn the nozzle so the tip is facing up and position it above the hole, then roll my wrist until the nozzle is in the hole. When that side is full, I lift it above the opening and let it all drain out and roll the tip back up to continue to the other side.
If it is the type of gas pump I grew up with I agree but the newer type with the huge rubber fume thingy on them can be a bitch - And with the older type it is easier to get a good slow flow -I try to take note of stations that have the old plain type and use them when I can but I have not found an easy way to hold the spring back, get the gas to the top and not spill it with the newer type

Old 06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kess

If it is the type of gas pump I grew up with I agree but the newer type with the huge rubber fume thingy on them can be a bitch - And with the older type it is easier to get a good slow flow -I try to take note of stations that have the old plain type and use them when I can but I have not found an easy way to hold the spring back, get the gas to the top and not spill it with the newer type
Yup, them rubber things suck.

I just dumped gas all over my tank. Friggin gas was comin through the tube and the rubber hose. I bit the bullet and dumped nasty dirty water on it to get as much off as possible. Will have to wash and re-wax today.

I usually spill a little if I'm not at a station that I know the behavior of the pump.

I carry 2 bandanas with me. One to wipe my face (left pocket) one to wipe the tank (right pocket)

If I had a bagger, I think I'd carry one of those tank condoms.

Quick Reply: Gas spill