Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Microfibre Cloths?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:32 PM
3Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Microfibre Cloths?

ORIGINAL: Motorcop

I bought my micros at Sam's Club. They have a dozen cloth's in a bundle. Works great!!!!
Diapers are great for removing wax. MF suede on sealants. Short nap MF on polish. Thick plush MF for QD's. Waffle Weave for drying.
NO fabric softner on anything that you use on your bike.
If you get inexpensive MF.. ie 3 for 6..remove the tag and fold so that binding does not touch. Cheaper MF's use polyester binding..ployester means..SCRATCH. Its OK to dry MF on low heat cycle. Make sure detergent is something like Tide Free ( no softners in it). Its also a good idea to run white vinegar through the rinse cycle. IMO

Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Wally-World for a 6 pack of MF towels for $8. Also, no fabric softener, it can leave a barely noticeable haze.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:19 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Wally-World for a 6 pack of MF rags towels for $8. Stay away from fabric softener too... can leave barely noticeable haze.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:16 AM
redhot
Novice

You have to be careful using diapers.Even thought they say 100% cotton ....On some brands the edges are sewn with an abrasive thread that will scratch your fine finish. I was also told to only use ones made in the USA.

Lane

Old 03-11-2006, 04:26 PM
3Dog
Tourer

Mine are made by detail manufacturers specifically for wax removal.
ORIGINAL: redhot

You have to be careful using diapers.Even thought they say 100% cotton ....On some brands the edges are sewn with an abrasive thread that will scratch your fine finish. I was also told to only use ones made in the USA.

Lane

Old 03-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't ever let one of these microfiber towels touch your hot exhaust or it will immediately melt on it and cause more problems that you would ever want. I speak from experience.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

MF cloths are a one time use only kinda deal. Here is why. MF cloths are like the cloth side of Velcro, any and everything gets suck in the weave of the cloth and is impossible to get out. I have seen more chrome and paint jobs ruined because of MF cloths. They are outstanding the first time out. But if you start seeing little swirl marks in your clear coat or on your chrome and can't figure out why. Just take a real close look at you MF cloth that you have used several times. The best thing that you can use to polish your paint or chrome is white 100% made in America towels. Cannon is the best there is, some wal-mart stores carry them but all Bed-Bath & Beyond has them. Only use white because some colored towels have some acids in the dye used to color them. Even if you get a towel from another country and it states 100% cotton on the label, don't buy it. Most foreign manufactures of cotton towels will have some rayon/polyester woven in with the cotton. It will scratch your paint.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I use only the Mequires Gold Class microfiber clothes on my bikes and car. They are gold in color and the edges have satin all the way around and sell for around $5.00 each at Pep Boys and well worth it.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:57 PM
3Dog
Tourer

You must have had some really cheap China made MF. I have been using MF on customers cars and bikes since its availability about 10 years ago. Quality MF is not going to scratch..we test by using it on CD's ( slightly softer than clearcoat) Granted they should not be used for various duties..ie..cleaning grease and then washed on used later on paint. The most damage to MF comes from improper washing...never use bleach, never use fabric softners, dry on low till almost dry.
ORIGINAL: TM

MF cloths are a one time use only kinda deal. Here is why. MF cloths are like the cloth side of Velcro, any and everything gets suck in the weave of the cloth and is impossible to get out. I have seen more chrome and paint jobs ruined because of MF cloths. They are outstanding the first time out. But if you start seeing little swirl marks in your clear coat or on your chrome and can't figure out why. Just take a real close look at you MF cloth that you have used several times. The best thing that you can use to polish your paint or chrome is white 100% made in America towels. Cannon is the best there is, some wal-mart stores carry them but all Bed-Bath & Beyond has them. Only use white because some colored towels have some acids in the dye used to color them. Even if you get a towel from another country and it states 100% cotton on the label, don't buy it. Most foreign manufactures of cotton towels will have some rayon/polyester woven in with the cotton. It will scratch your paint.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Garrison1383
Cruiser

pep boys or auto zone

Quick Reply: Microfibre Cloths?