Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:01 PM
byrne092
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Good Deal?

Hows it going everyone, I am a brand new rider looking for a little advice. I have been on the lookout for a good deal on a bike that suits what I want from a bike. I am getting ready to take the MSF BRC in a couple weeks and wanted to get a head start looking at some bikes while I wait. A little back knowledge; I have never really rode a street bike (the occasional dirt bike about 10 years ago, im 26 now.). I have been trying to watch videos and learn as much as I can about the operation of a bike before I even take the course. I obviously know it all depends on my comfort level when I am taking the course, and my confidence level. I am fairly certain I do not want to go with a small "starter" bike because from what I can tell and read, it all depends on the respect that the rider has for his bike (size i heard makes a little difference as well, im 5'11, 210lbs). I intend to take it slow and steady until I have mastered the basics (turning, shifting, all the parking lot style maneuvers, etc.)

From some of the research I've done, I do not think i want a Sportster due to the top heaviness, also I am not a huge fan of the styling (just personal preference, nothing again the Sportster at all). I am really drawn to the Dynas. Kind of strange, but I am stuck between the 600 series street bikes and the Dynas. I know it all depends on my comfort level when i sit on a particular bike and how it fits my build, especially when I am going to be learning on it.

Now back to what I was really looking for some input on. I found a beautiful Dyna 100th Anniversary Edition. It was one of those feelings that when I saw it, I knew it might be the one! My main question is if the price is a good deal, or if I should keep looking at more options, I think I am going to do this regardless, but if this bike is a good deal then I am going to try to pursue it a bit more. Here is a link to the bike:
http://www.chicagobikemax.com/2003_H..._237977449.veh

One of my only other concerns is, how devastated i would be if I did lay this bike down. That is never anyone's intention but even the most experienced riders succumb to this problem at sometime. Maybe I am just thinking too much about that, and chalk it up one of the in-case-**** scenarios.

I know this is probably one of those broken record threads, but I would really appreciate any feedback and thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM
scoriden
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

KBB lists this bike at 6375 retail and 4645 trade. NADA is at 5355 and 4070. However, books don't buy bikes. They are worth what someone will write a check for. If it is in good shape it looks like a decent deal to me. Check the bike in person if you can and go from there. Learn to ride and GO.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:48 PM
byrne092
Intermediate

Thanks for the info scoriden. I didnt even think to check on sites like that, and since I am new to motorcycles I'm kind of in the dark about the wide range of pricing, especially with HD.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:00 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming those photos reflect the bike's current condition, it looks pretty clean. No telling the condition of the engine, tranny, etc.
That said, considering your riding skill level (admittedly next to none), you may want to consider a smaller, lighter, more nimble, and less expensive motorcycle for your first one. Build up some seat time and skill level before you invest in an expensive bike that you would be really upset to drop.

Last edited by jmb79; 09-26-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by byrne092
Thanks for the info scoriden. I didnt even think to check on sites like that, and since I am new to motorcycles I'm kind of in the dark about the wide range of pricing, especially with HD.
Check if bike had cam chain tensioner upgrade. My '03 has 30k on it. I am waiting for an estimate on cam tensioner upgrade and base gasket leak. It is going to be expensive.
Many threads on cam chain tensioner.
Also mid controls are much easier for first bike.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 PM
byrne092
Intermediate

jmb79 - yeah I still kind of go back and forth on what I want to do as far as bike size. I think i will really have a better idea once I take the course, it may change my perspective completely. Any suggestions for other bikes? I really do not want a small starter bike that I would want to swap out a few months, because I really do plan on making learning to ride a big priority in my schedule. I definitely understand where you are coming from though. I would really like something I could take slow and grow into. I have just read that Dynas are very well balanced and very capable of handling as long as you give it the respect it deserves.

Ron750 - thank you for bringing that up. I will send the dealer and email asking those questions. I definitely dont want to get a bike that will need fixes in a few thousand miles, if not right away, since I plan on putting on as many miles as possible once i get going! Are forward controls a lot different? Again showing my lack of knowledge, but I definitely want to try out different bikes to see how I fit to them.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:48 PM

i know the bike looks cool, but does it fit you, meaning you won't know that until you learn how to ride and get the feel for things. there are plenty of deals out there all the time. just wait till you get your license and learn to ride a bike before you make an impulse buy and get something that does'nt fit you.. nothing wrong with a sporty. 'i'm 6'1 210 and had a 1200 custom. that bike was quick! i bouht a bigger bike with more power cause i like taking chicks with phat a$$'es for rides.

Last edited by Temporary Username 1; 09-26-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:45 PM
byrne092
Intermediate

Yeah, I definitely am going to go through the class before I even think about purchasing a bike. Then I plan on making the rounds to the local dealers and just sitting on every bike I can to see what I think would be the best fit for me. I was just curious about this specific bike because it seemed like a pretty good deal and I was really drawn to the styling. I am glad scoriden let me know I should be able to find price considerations are certain sites. I was just a bit overwhelmed looking through the online dealer inventories that had wide varieties of bikes and prices.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:47 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Byrne,

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you do some research regarding how the dyna line received several upgrades in 2007. ie: larger engine, from 88-96 ci, larger forks, from narrow glide like the sportser has to the mid glide, and EFI etc...It may or may not matter to you.

Then decide if perhaps you would want to consider bikes from that year or newer. If I were in your shoes and was just considering getting a dyna and had no knowledge of the specs of the current vs pre 2005/2006 bikes this is something I would want to know. Good luck and enjoy the bike you decide to purchase.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 09-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

How much coin are you willing to spend?

Quick Reply: A Good Deal?