Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I fell yesterday :/

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:51 AM
zZeduardoZz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I fell yesterday :/

Hey guys

Went from Orlando to Tampa yesterday, for the South Bound and Out event, we were there for a little while, and then met with my buddy's wife's family for lunch, then the rain started... We had to hold up and wait for the huge storm to pass, and when the rain got light enough, we took off, about 7:30 at night.

On i-4 the rain was still pretty bad so my buddy and his wife decided to head back so I went home, had my wife and daughter waiting for me. Caught a few bad thunderstorms but nothing too crazy. Half way through the way is when it happened. I have a 3/4 helmet, but I have a visor I use for when it's raining, but it has a dark tint on it, on the highway it was fine, a tad dark, but I managed. I had to stop for gas and took an exit, and saw the big gas sign, but it was pretty dark. When I was slowing down the road was still wet, and I didn't slow far enough and couldn't really see the road because it was dark. So I hit the brakes, and the bike started fish tailing. Before I lost control, I saw that there was a meridian with left and right turns and the middle was grass, and that was enough to get to the grass and drop the bike in there, so i fell at about 20 MPH. Didn't really hurt anything but now my back is a little sore and a little bruise on my knee, but I'm fine.

My bike didn't suffer anything bad, just bent the left part of the handlebar, and the shift peg, since it was on the grass, got no scratches, just a bit of dirt on it. I picked the bike up, put gas on the bike and rode it home. Now I HAVE to buy the t-bars I wanted to LOL. Anyone selling?! haha

It made me realize how I am still new at riding (3 years) and I realized what I should have done differently, I am buying a FF helmet with a clear visor, specially for the night, my 3/4 is nice around town but for longer trips a FF is better. And when riding in the rain, slow is the way to go, specially cuz I was dumb and couldn't see in front of me. It could have been a lot worse, and I feel kinda stupid for falling in such way, but lesson learned.

Advice, pat on the back, or a ear pull much welcomed!!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Glad you came out pretty much unscathed. Nothing better than when we are allowed to learn from our mistakes. Ride safe.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
fugawi
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

it's good to hear your alright. next is you got back on the horse.also , i only ride with a full face. clear for nite use and smoke for day use.. good lesson learned. been there done that, got the t-shirt..

Old 09-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Any fall you walk away one is...a learning event. Glad you're Ok to ride another day and willing to post/share so others can learn. Lots of contributing factors with your info. (night, rain, wet, gear, etc.) which could trip-up any riding level (new - seasoned). Don't knock it, clean bike-up, and ride-on!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:09 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I have a FF but I just plain don't like it.

I use a windshield anytime I plan to ride on the freeway and if it looks like rain, yellow goggles for night and rain, engine guard for a little more protection if or when I go down, and a Guardian Bell when all else fails.

And, I stay off of the rear brakes when the road is wet.

Glad you made it through with only a bruise and minor damage to your ride. Good thinking to head for the grass to put it down.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:11 AM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you had enough control to drop it in the grass, you should have rode it out, fishtailing = to much rear brake riding in the rain takes more focus, you don't have room for error like when its dry...

Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Hammerdown77
Tourer
Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Glad you are ok. I'm a new rider as well, and I've learned early on that much of the risk from any weather/traffic scenario can be significantly reduced or eliminated by just slowing down to a speed appropriate for the conditions. Rain and dark are one of those that require increased attention and reflexes, and going a little slower gives you a better chance that you will not exceed your capacity in either of those areas.

Also, you (and me and everyone else) need to practice threshold braking. That is braking at the threshold of skidding, i.e. emergency braking. This is a skill, along with how to brake and then swerve, that can save your life. We don't practice it enough, frankly, and the worst time to practice it is during an "OH SH**" moment. The rear brake is harder to modulate with precision in an emergency situation, because you are using your foot (not as much fine motor control as your hand), and also your weight shifting forward means you are going to be increasing pressure on it when you don't really need to. The front brake is the one that will save your butt in an emergency. Practice practice practice. Take an advanced skills course if you can, lots of good tips and techniques to be learned from folks who know what they are talking about.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:00 AM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
I have a FF but I just plain don't like it.
Agree. I know it makes good sense to wear a FFH, but I have to admit that my enjoyment of motorcycles more than doubled when I went to a 3/4. I wouldn't leave the subdivision without the 3/4, but it's my helmet now. I might wear the FF if the temp dips below 45, that's about it.

Last edited by rjo3491; 09-28-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Wide N Low 13
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear your good to go! Yes, falls lead to mods just not in the time frame you(we, sooner or later we all fall) intended.

I have a FFH from HJC (IS-17) with the clear shield and a inner retractable shade screen. Really like the helmet, only down side is if you want to / have to wear glasses the fit is very tight. Also available in 3/4 helmets, lots to choose from.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:04 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude, EVERYONE falls at some point. And if someone who has been riding for any length of time tells you they haven't fallen they are either a lying ******* or they don't ride that much.

Quick Reply: So I fell yesterday :/