Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Plug Opinon

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Litzner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Plug Opinon

I have a 05 Dyna Wide Glide, and when I went to fog the motor before storage I noticed that the front plug I had installed (and gapped properly) was very black, and a bit shiny, the rear was fine. I am leaning towards and oil leak, as I was also getting a slow oil leak out of the front valve cover right at the front of the motor.

I am typically very much a DIY type of guy, but I am a little more leery to turning much wrench on the bike. Any smoking guns on what the problem likely is and how hard or how much it is going to cost to fix.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts
Default Post a pic

It would be more helpful if you posted a pick of the plugs and how many miles, motor upgrades (cams, pistons, headwork) etc.

Originally Posted by Litzner
I have a 05 Dyna Wide Glide, and when I went to fog the motor before storage I noticed that the front plug I had installed (and gapped properly) was very black, and a bit shiny, the rear was fine. I am leaning towards and oil leak, as I was also getting a slow oil leak out of the front valve cover right at the front of the motor.

I am typically very much a DIY type of guy, but I am a little more leery to turning much wrench on the bike. Any smoking guns on what the problem likely is and how hard or how much it is going to cost to fix.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Litzner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
It would be more helpful if you posted a pick of the plugs and how many miles, motor upgrades (cams, pistons, headwork) etc.
The motor is stock (unless previous owners had done something I was not made aware of), and it has some screaming eagle II slip-ons. I can't get a pic at the moment, as it is put away in storage and not easy to get to, but I can try to get one when I pull it out. The front plug turned completely black and shiny after about 5000 miles, 17000 miles total on the motor.

I did just talk to a local MMI instructor, and he had the following thoughts on it.

"Last year was a oddly cool summer for us, with mornings often starting in the Mid 40s to low 50s, and days above 70 being few.

The motor is completely air cooled, so the front cylinder is running a lot cooler then the rear to begin with, pair that with the cool summer and that plug was likely fouling out do to that cylinder running too cool.

Try a spark plug 1 range hotter for the front cylinder, more so in the cooler spring and fall we have here, and keep a standard heat range plug on hand in case it starts fouling out."
Does that sound about right?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:52 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Litzner
The motor is stock (unless previous owners had done something I was not made aware of), and it has some screaming eagle II slip-ons. I can't get a pic at the moment, as it is put away in storage and not easy to get to, but I can try to get one when I pull it out. The front plug turned completely black and shiny after about 5000 miles, 17000 miles total on the motor.

I did just talk to a local MMI instructor, and he had the following thoughts on it.

Does that sound about right?
I run my bike year round. Air temps over 100 in the summer, well below freezing in the winter, and everything in between. I've never experienced plugs like you described. I don't see how cooler than normal air temp could cause that.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:07 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts
Default Second That.

That is not going to do that.. Go to the Evo Classic Models forum and read the "sticky" "Reading Spark Plugs" it will steer you in the right direction...

Originally Posted by jmb79
I run my bike year round. Air temps over 100 in the summer, well below freezing in the winter, and everything in between. I've never experienced plugs like you described. I don't see how cooler than normal air temp could cause that.