Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:30 AM
_wcc_
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with suspension

Anyone have suggestion on rear shock length for a 2005 fxdl?
Gonna raise the front back to standard i think with some new springs, already have the racetech gold valve emulators installed.

So i'm thinkin, maybe some Ohlins shocks in the rear or works black trackers

But the biggest question i have is which length i should choose, 12.6" is what i'm thinkin about, anyone with a low rider, that have any input?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:13 AM
_wcc_
Intermediate

Btw, just installed some new forbidden bars and riser, will put on a quarter fairing too

Old 01-31-2015, 11:26 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 01 fxdl..I got some JRI B shocks in 13"..love them.didnt raise the bike much at all.really the only time that it looks raised is when it's on sidestand.i got mine from Howard at motorcycle metal, a forum sponsor...love those shocks, I also did the Ricor intimidators and Traxxion straight rate springs. What a huge difference all that made on ride quality and handling..never had ohlins but read alot of good about them..Howard also handles ohlins and will have the right valving and spring rate setup for you...

Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put 13" Progressive 440's on my 2005 FXDL last year and am quite happy with them. The extra height stopped the scraping on twisty mountain roads that I like to run on. I'd probably choose Ohlins over Works if price is similar.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 AM
_wcc_
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
I have a 01 fxdl..I got some JRI B shocks in 13"..love them.didnt raise the bike much at all.really the only time that it looks raised is when it's on sidestand.i got mine from Howard at motorcycle metal, a forum sponsor...love those shocks, I also did the Ricor intimidators and Traxxion straight rate springs. What a huge difference all that made on ride quality and handling..never had ohlins but read alot of good about them..Howard also handles ohlins and will have the right valving and spring rate setup for you...
Thank you, 13" does not sound bad then, extra shock travel is never a bad thing i guess

Do you have longer fork tubes?

Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 PM
_wcc_
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racqueteer9
I put 13" Progressive 440's on my 2005 FXDL last year and am quite happy with them. The extra height stopped the scraping on twisty mountain roads that I like to run on. I'd probably choose Ohlins over Works if price is similar.
Okey, you don't happen to have a picture of your bike with the 13" shocks?
Do you have longer fork tubes to even out the extra lenght of the rear shocks?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:59 PM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an 05 low rider as well! Literally just installed my Works shocks last night...just got back from first ride...all I can say is OMFG!!! Night and day difference between my old progressives and these works. handling is VASTLY improved as is stability at speed and comfortability of the ride.

I will say though, I'm a shorter rider so I went with the 12.1" length and already dragged a peg during a low speed turn. Works has a 30 day ride satisfaction window and I may exchange these for the 12.6" length

Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM
TMike84
Advanced

I've got the best 13" JRI B shocks on my 01 FXDXT. I also got them from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. The shocks are great, good price and easy to set up. Also Howard will set up spring rate to you and your riding style

Old 01-31-2015, 04:06 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by _wcc_
Thank you, 13" does not sound bad then, extra shock travel is never a bad thing i guess

Do you have longer fork tubes?
No mine are stock tubes..your not talk in much of an increase by the time you set correct sag..but it sure does ride soooooo much better

Old 01-31-2015, 07:48 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by _wcc_
Okey, you don't happen to have a picture of your bike with the 13" shocks?
Do you have longer fork tubes to even out the extra lenght of the rear shocks?
Sorry no. I need to get out and take some photos once it warms up. I don't think the extra 1" would make enough difference in frame geometry to be easily noticeable. I did adjust forks as low in triple trees as possible when I added progressive springs up front, the same time I changed rear shocks. This was mainly done to firm up the front and reduce brake dive but probably raised front 3/8 or 1/2".

Quick Reply: Help with suspension