Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairings info-Share yours

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 AM
chounig
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

2015 FXDL - Memphis shade gauntlet fairing. Fit perfectly !

The following 2 users liked this post by chounig:
c b (09-06-2023), LOU (11-05-2023)
Old 05-29-2015, 12:28 PM
HATZO1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Memphis Shades Gauntlet on my 08 FXD 49mm forks and 16" Apes to keep the wind off my chest during long rides.
It helps loads, but it did shift the wind into my face more but that's fine with me. Makes my goatee hit me in the nose and flatten out LOL,
but all is cool other wise. Serves its purpose with out breaking the bank.

Attachment 525378

Attachment 525379

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rogue125 (12-19-2017)
Old 06-01-2015, 03:39 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

[QUOTE=tazmatech;14048120]I have a 09 FXD Superglide witht the 49mm forks. I have switched the headlight out to a 7 inch headlight found on JP Cycles website. I just recently installed the tsukayu small 6x9 batwing fairing with colormatch paint and used the supplied mounting brackets. This is the same company which manufactured my hard saddlebags
/QUOTE]

Just want to say I think that looks fantastic!

Originally Posted by TXScorpion
Since we are discussing fairings... I'm gonna throw this out in case anyone can help.
If its in the wrong area, tell me and I will delete/move it...

I have an 09 Fat Bob with an HD fairing and HD quick-release mounts (cant be much more specific than that since they came with the bike so I dont have all the specs)

When I am riding at highway speeds there is a... "uncomfortableness"... to it. Its hard to put into words... it just feels "not right".
If I take the fairing off it seems to be lessened.
If I sit well forward in the seat it seems to be lessened.

It could be the fairing buffeting... it could just be that this is the first bike I have ever owned with apes (mini-apes) and I am just not used to it and I need to "man up" and get over it.
Point being that I am not ruling anything out.

I have had 2 different Harley techs tell me there is nothing mechanically wrong with it.

You may be experiencing wind buffeting which is sometimes caused by airflow under the windshield coming back around behind. Some people have had success deflecting the wind using a deflector under the bottom triple tree. Do a quick search and you may find a variety of answers. Tilt sometimes helps as well.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:28 PM
TXScorpion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
You may be experiencing wind buffeting which is sometimes caused by airflow under the windshield coming back around behind. Some people have had success deflecting the wind using a deflector under the bottom triple tree. Do a quick search and you may find a variety of answers. Tilt sometimes helps as well.
After damn near wrecking the bike on Friday because of the vibration/shimmy/whatever, I have permanently yanked that windshield (I have been properly schooled on correct terminology and promise to never refer to it as a "fairing" again under penalty of death )

Have ta say, its a TOTALLY different bike without it. Better, more responsive handling, better feel on the highway... just better.
Of course, now I will have to go back to a full face helmet for a while until my new windshield gets here (even with goggles my contacts dry out on the highway without SOME form of wind deflection).

I have learned a TON on these forums so far...

Old 06-02-2015, 06:12 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

After damn near wrecking the bike on Friday because of the vibration/shimmy/whatever, I have permanently yanked that windshield (I have been properly schooled on correct terminology and promise to never refer to it as a "fairing" again under penalty of death )

Have ta say, its a TOTALLY different bike without it. Better, more responsive handling, better feel on the highway... just better.
Of course, now I will have to go back to a full face helmet for a while until my new windshield gets here (even with goggles my contacts dry out on the highway without SOME form of wind deflection).

Good to hear. It's funny how the windshield works for some and not others. I remember some folks thinking I was crazy when commenting on how the weight or sail effect in certain circumstances just seemed to affect the handling in a negative way (above and beyond highway speed buffeting). But it sure was a good deflector. I guess it just shows how important shaping is. Getting the wind off the chest on the highway sure is nice though, much as I enjoyed regular riding without the windshield I can't imagine riding now without something.

What are you going with?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 AM
b2inUT
Road Warrior
Received 150 Likes on 91 Posts

I had one of those that I used on occasion and for a nearly 1800 mile ride to Sturgis and back 2 years ago. It served it's functional purpose but was as ugly as hell. I've since had a Memphis Shades Gauntlet but wanted more wind block so I got a Rifle with a 15" shield. And since I finally got wise and used the headlight mount in addition to the HD QR clamps on the tubes, it's solid. I'm thinking of going to a taller windshield on it now to get a little more of the air pushed over my head.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:40 PM
TXScorpion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by robbyville
What are you going with?
I went with the National Cycle Deflector screen DX.

I like the look (well OK, I tolerate the look) and its cheap, so if I dont like it I am not out too much $$

Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 PM
packofqtips
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

usa trailer store on ebay fairing, should have radio and paint pictures by the weekend

Old 06-04-2015, 06:44 PM
TXScorpion
Cruiser

I am torn on going with an actual fairing on my Fat Bob... I dont want to look like some sort of poser...

That said, this Deflector I bought really sucks so far!
(hopefully I can adjust it to work better for me)

Old 06-04-2015, 07:47 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by packofqtips
usa trailer store on ebay fairing, should have radio and paint pictures by the weekend
How is the quality on this fairing? I have been looking at it for a few weeks. Hopefully pull the trigger here soon. Can you post some more pics?

Quick Reply: Fairings info-Share yours