Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Switchback Vs 2010 Fat Boy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM
jkiser
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2014 Switchback Vs 2010 Fat Boy Lo

HI,

I have a 2010 fat Boy Lo and really like it but have the chance to pick up a 2014 Switchback with 2800 miles on it for a great price. I didn't think I wanted bags and the bigger motor but my girlfriend is really enjoying the rides and the Fat Boy is OK, but thinking the Switchback with the bigger motor and thinner stance should be a better "touring" bike than the Fat Boy. I realize the Switchback will be more vibration since its based on the Dyna.

Any comments would be appreciated..

Old 11-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Personally I much prefer the Dyna motor. The vibes smooth out at speed, and in general they are peppier with less clatter than the Softail's dragging the chain driven counterbalancer down the road. The Fat Boy is a beautiful bike, but I'd rather ride a Dyna. Better ground clearance too on the Switchback...means cushier ride and better lean angles.

Definitely test ride...

Old 11-23-2015, 04:34 PM
danfxdx
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After having both a dyna and softail, I much prefer the ride and feel of a dyna. The fatboy is a beautiful bike but I think the dyna is an all around better platform.

In reality I don't even notice the vibration at idle

Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Put 18k on a 2012 Switchback in two years, mostly two up. Easy to ride, comfortable for two (had the HD Signature seat), good get up and go, good in the mtns, smooth cruising down the road, the heavy vibes are at idle. Some owners had a vibration problem do to the pipe mount, but I never did and I kept it stock. Those who had the problem were able to solve it in various ways. There is a Switchback forum on the net. It was nice to be able to pop the bags and shield of in less than a minute. Compared to a road king the weight and size was significant (I had been thinking between the two), not so much between the SB and FB, but likely you will still feel the SB has better handling, lean angle, and easier to change suspension if you wanted to.

Last edited by Switchback12; 11-23-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:06 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a Lo before my fat bob. Dyna hands down. Do it.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Never owned a softail, but hands down I would recommend a dyna.

Better handling, pickup, & engine setup not having that counter balancer on the bottom. HD's already have enough chain driven parts.....no need for a third part buried under the entire motor.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Well, the switchback IMO looks exponentially better than a fat boy.

And I came from a metric cruiser and dirt bike/ ATV background and I can tell you the vibrations of a Dyna are not a problem in the slightest. Yes there is some vibration you can feel at stop lights and you get used to it and it does smooth out to non-existent at cruising speeds. Plenty of comfort additions that can be made to the switchback as well. Plus you're getting a very low mile bike with a bigger engine... What's keeping you from dumping that fat boy and getting it?!

Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

depends on the GREAT price you can get it for ALSO keep in mind you will need to do at minimum the clevis pin mod outlined on the switchback owners site or a complete
exhaust system change ( what I recommend ) as the 2014s still had the HORRIBLE vibration issue caused by the factory exhaust design..

other than that mine is nearly 4 years old ( bought mid December of 2011 )and im still in love with the bike

Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

My only experience with a Fat Boy is from 2003 when my wife and I had each rented one as part of our wedding vacation.

Currently, both my wife and I have FLD's (Switchbacks).

I remember the Fat Boy dragging the floor boards early in turns. The FLD also scrapes, but at a little steeper angle. Also, I've upgraded the suspension on mine with 13" shocks and it's now rare that I scrape at all.

I happen to like the vibes at idle, but once underway, the engine becomes very smooth until just under 5k rpm and then it vibes up to 5.5krpm and then smooth again. Doubtful you'll be living in that rpm range though. The Fat Boy I had rented over 12 years ago would start vibing offensively above 70mph. Mirrors were useless above that speed and the bike would get tingley....not in a good way. I would assume (but don't know for sure) the current model with the 103, or even 110, would have a wider range of smoothness than the TC88 that I had rented.

The FLD bags are small but I find them very useful. When touring, I primarily use the bags for bike stuff (tools, rain suite, tire flat fix, gloves, water, and it can even hold my jacket). Luggage goes on the luggage rack off the sissy bar, or on the sissy bar itself with a T-Bag. Also, the hard bags are wide enough to fit a 6 pack!

Once you get the seat / handlebar ergo's set for YOU, the FLD makes a pretty damn good long distance runner. Again, I've upgraded my suspension (both front and back) and really like the bike. I'm coming from a combo of Japanese sportbikes and cruisers. Of them all, the FLD is my fav so far. I like that the shocks are easily accessible for adjustments. I happen to like the vibes at idle as well.

The ONLY thing the Fat Boy has over the FLD IMHO, are dual disk brakes. Outside of that, FLD all day long. Even then, I remember reading a British bike mag where they had tested the braking distances of 20 bikes. Bikes included were a Gen 1 Ducati Multistrada 1100, Honda CB1000R (not to be confused with the Honda CBR1000) and variety of other sporty type bikes...including an FLD with ABS. I could not believe the FLD had the 2nd shortest braking distance of the bikes tested. Very surprising.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 AM
heavyd1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't speak for the FB, but I traded in my Low Rider for the Switch, I have put 12,230 miles on it. And I'm still loving it, usually by now I am getting the itch for something else. I think I'm keeping this one. It fits me, and it runs like a scalded dog.

Quick Reply: 2014 Switchback Vs 2010 Fat Boy Lo