Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED accent lights (Show)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:18 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default LED accent lights (Show)?

I just picked up a new to me 08 FXDL and on closer inspection I found someone had wired in a bunch of tiny LED's I guess for show. The PO was in very serious health so I asked his son to ask him where the switch is located for the lights. So far no response. So my question is where is the normal location for the switch? There are no additional switches on the bars or anywhere else that I can find. I tried the ACC position and bright and dim headlight positions.

Any ideas?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:00 AM
jricharc
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has a toggle switch mounted to the battery box.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:03 AM
thor05deluxe
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of them use a push button inline with the wires. Just trace the wires from one tip to the battery. You'll run into it. Most are about 1/2" x 1/4" switch.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:15 AM
chadk
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

remote control

Old 03-31-2016, 10:16 AM
Smarsmar101
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check under the tank, or like the guy above said, near the battery cover. That's where I'd mount mine.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:44 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvorchak
I just picked up a new to me 08 FXDL and on closer inspection I found someone had wired in a bunch of tiny LED's I guess for show. The PO was in very serious health so I asked his son to ask him where the switch is located for the lights. So far no response. So my question is where is the normal location for the switch? There are no additional switches on the bars or anywhere else that I can find. I tried the ACC position and bright and dim headlight positions.

Any ideas?
start at the battery box and trace the red wires. should run to the control/switch

Old 03-31-2016, 03:06 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

It can be anywhere...but like others said..follow the wire. Likely around the battery box area.

Keep in mind... there also might not be a switch. On my previous bike I had the lights wired to my license plate light. So whenever the bike was on... the LEDs were on also. You don't always need a switch depending what purpose you want it to serve. IF this is the case on your bike...then u likely have a broken circuit in the system not feeding it power (eg loose wire or spliced wire)

Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

All really good suggestions and thank you. I'll just have to start tracing wires. They are easy to spot because they are so small. No red wired though. Black and black with white stripe. And they could be defeated. I just found out that he had installed the Harley module that converts the rear turn to run and turn. He also has a Back Off style flasher wired to the rear stop/turn/run lights. Push the brake and the rear lights flash 3 times before staying lit. Confusing as hell when you put on your turn signal and hit the brakes....The person following doesn't know what the heck your plan is.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:17 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Unfortunately, not everyone wires in a switch. Which is a royal pain because a lot of states don't allow those lights to be on while the bike is on the highway.

My daughter bought an '08 250 Ninja that had green LEDs that came on as soon as the key was turned on. They looked okay, cuz the bike is green, but didn't want to deal with LEOs over it. Unfortunately each set of lights was wires into a different place. The ones toward the back were connected to the taillight, and the ones at the front were connected to the running lights, with the left connected to the left light and the right to the right light. Ugh. We just went through and removed them all instead of messing with trying to wire them all together through a single switch.