Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led light bar mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 AM
666streetbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led light bar mounting

looking to install an led light bar on my triple tree, and i was just wondering how everyone has been mounting them and where they have been mounting the switch. any healp is greatly appreciated!!! this is the light bar that im looking into http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-18W-Floo...NW3l~e&vxp=mtr

Old 04-07-2016, 07:51 AM
ajk511
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That one you linked had a bracket on it with a stud. Remove that stud and just run the nut and bolt from your headlight through that bracket. Wiring the switch is a matter of preference. You can run it directly off the input to the headlight so it's always on. You can run it off the high beam switch, or you can run it back to the battery, with an in line fuse somewhere, and then run a switch wherever you want. Personally I would pull the tank panel an run the light off the ignition switch with an in line fuse and then drill a hole in the side of the panel to install a push button on/off switch. When it's back together it will look like the odometer switch on the older set ups..

The following 2 users liked this post by ajk511:
666streetbob (04-07-2016), Chicago Ken (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM
East_Coast_Dyna_Mike
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey man, I actually just made myself and a friend a set of brackets for our LEDs. I'll take a few pics and send them to you. I could make a set and send them.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 PM
kyleMB
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a bottom mount headlight just drill the bracket out to the same size as the bolt holding the headlight

The following 2 users liked this post by kyleMB:
666streetbob (04-07-2016), Chicago Ken (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 02:25 PM
kyleMB
Advanced

Sorry for the giant pics, not sure how to resize them

Old 04-07-2016, 02:40 PM
666streetbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea that'd be rad!

Originally Posted by East_Coast_Dyna_Mike
Hey man, I actually just made myself and a friend a set of brackets for our LEDs. I'll take a few pics and send them to you. I could make a set and send them.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:27 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Just curious if these light bars actually serve a purpose? I've seen them on a few bikes but have no idea why. Is it to be seen better during the day, or do they serve as effective running lights at night? Do they offer any side lighting?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:38 AM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

I mounted it to the headlight bolt, and wired it into the headlight's high beam circuit (inside the headlight shell for neatness, with an in-line fuse for just-in-case).

I only use it at night on dark Australian backroads (basically as a super-high beam/spotlight), so wiring it that way is fine for me.

"Do they offer any side lighting?"

The most common ones I've seen (a six LED unit) comes in both "spot" and "flood" varieties. The spot (mine) doesn't give much side lighting but it is lighter than the standard HD high beam. I'm guessing the floodlight variety will give more side lighting but substantially less distance down the road ahead...

Last edited by Davdoodles; 04-08-2016 at 01:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PanHeadRich (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Just curious if these light bars actually serve a purpose? I've seen them on a few bikes but have no idea why. Is it to be seen better during the day, or do they serve as effective running lights at night? Do they offer any side lighting?
Much increased visibility during the day, and very bright from an off-angle, where the brightness from the headlight almost disappears during the day.

I have mine directly wired to the highbeam circuit, no separate switch, leads attached inside the headlight bucket. Huge increase in highbeam brightness at night too. Way too bright to use at night except has a highbeam, when there aren't other vehicles around.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 04-08-2016 at 06:37 AM.
PanHeadRich (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 08:37 AM
kyleMB
Advanced

I've got mine wired to be on all the time. Its amazing how much you really notice on the sides of the road and such once you install one

PanHeadRich (04-08-2016)

Quick Reply: led light bar mounting